• Riveraggie
    Not until he beats Eastern Washington.
  • AggieFinn
    Aggies need to consistently beat or split with Montana/Montana State/Sac/Idaho/EWU/Weber every year to stand a chance...and by that notion, you can't let down against teams that are not perennial powers. The loss to NAU this season was a major setback as well. It is a tight line to get into the playoffs out of the Big Sky, you have to win 8.
  • NCagalum
    One recurring theme of teams that advance in the playoffs is good defense. Defense travels as they say. Another note is good special teams play. Special teams killed Montana State. Hoping the Ags are able to build and maintain good O and D lines. The trenches are still where many games are won and lost. Another observation is that most all QBs in the playoffs could extend plays even if not big running threats.
  • Riveraggie
    I care about the playoffs, but I care about the conference games more.
    First things first. We have a dismal record against the historically top teams in the big sky . 0-10 against Eastern WA. 1-7 against Montana State 1-8 against Montana. I’d trade a playoff appearence for a win over any of those schools.
  • AggieFinn
    Might've been game of the year right here:

• NCagalum
    SD State destroying Albany. If SD State plays anywhere near their potential, the championship game will be a mere formality.
  • cmt
    That's one heck of an ass kicking.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Wow...SDSU 59 Albany 0
  • agalum
    I watched the second half. Sdsu is a total machine on defense and offense. And their stadium is impressive. Where does the money come from?
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Not FCS playoffs but related.

DII Hardin Bisons (I hate that plural "s" but I guess it was common 100 years ago) crush Colorado School in the DII championship game.

For those who remember the DII era, why does DII not have bye weeks except in the playoffs for the top seeds? 11 game schedule is pretty brutal.

Cortland winning DIII title over north central yesterday was a fun upset. Why does D3 have a bye week but not DII? Also why are there no bye weeks any teams in the D3 playoffs but 1 in the regular season? That said if I had my choice, I'd take the D3 system as it resembles FCS more. Also 11 weeks straight is pretty rough for D2 and if you're a low seed, no bye. At least the top seeds get a bye week in that system.
  • NCagalum
    probably no bye weeks in playoffs because smaller field and no playin games.

D3 championship game was fun.

I think Hardin was successful because they use a flex bone that nobody else uses and difficult to prepare for. Personally I was hoping schools of mines would win. That is a good school located on Golden, CO.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I'm not too familiar with Hardin (I got them confused with Hardin-Baylor and Hardin Simmons of D3). But CSM is a great school and I'd be amazed if my son went there someday. Did the Ags ever play them?
  • NCagalum
    pretty sure Aggies did not. I think they did play one RMAC team once. I think maybe Fort Lewis or New Mexico Highlands.
  • agalum
    Griz - NDSU just started, espn+
  • NCagalum
    McDowell will throw a good ball, then a terrible one.
  • cmt
    Unsurprisingly this semifinal is a close one.
  • NCagalum
    Between penalties and dropped balls NDSU is beating themselves.
  • MTBAggie
    We toured Mines over Thanksgiving with my son. Fantistic school, but definitely small.
  • cmt
    What a dumb call. 2nd OT, NDSt runs it right down Montana’s throat for a TD on 3 plays. Then for the 2 point conversion they do a gimmick formation with all the linemen split out to either sideline except the center, they hand the ball to a WR and have him throw it. Just run the damn ball again!
  • NCagalum
    Montana was not surprised at all with that formation. I guess it’s good that it’s not the same matchup in the final game, but personally I hope SDSU puts the smack down on Montana. Hate to think of Bobby Hauck smirking all off-season.
  • 72Aggie
    "I think they did play one RMAC team once. I think maybe Fort Lewis or New Mexico Highlands."

In 2000 the Ags defeated R.M.A.C. schools Chadron State and Mesa State (now Colorado Mesa State) in the playoffs .....and then played three great quarters against Bloomsburg....
  • BlueGoldAg
    What a dumb call. 2nd OT,cmt

My thoughts exactly! That's on the NDSU coach...horrible call...especially after the NDSU OL was dominating Montana in the OT's. I couldn't believe what I was seeing as they began to run that play. Good grief!
  • NCagalum
    oh yah. I listened to that game overseas - defense collapsed in the Bloomsbury game. Aggies scored too fast I think and defense couldn’t muster anything last quarter from being on the field too much.
  • agalum
    Gritty win for the griz. Their defense is really impressive.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    so were their fighting fans earlier this week.
  • agalum

Ok, you got me on that. What did i miss?
  • cmt
    Generally speaking, I don't mind gimmick plays. I just think it's a bad idea to throw the ball with a non-QB when if you don't complete the pass, you lose. Plus that play they ran, I'm sure he could have run it if it was open, but there was one guy in the end zone to throw the ball to. Not great! Because something happens and that one guy, let's say, falls down (which he did!), now you're out of options. Run the gimmick play in a tie game. Run it if you're up 5 and you want to go up 7. But when I need a 2 point to keep the game going, I'm going to call my best play. And there's no chance that was one of NDSt's best plays.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!