• NCagalum
    if you are good - and Larison obviously is - the NFL will find you. Yes there would be NIL money, but only one year. If he graduates this academic year, that might be another story. But I think staying with your teammates and aiming for playoffs or maybe even a league title and completing your degree would win out over starting over at another institution/team.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I agree but we simply won't know until next year.
  • Riveraggie
    Larison might graduate and just put his name in for the draft. He is in his fourth year.
  • CA Forever
    Won the turnover battle 4-1 and baaaarely won while having to rely on wildcat gimmicks. Our "traditional" offense was an anchor today that Larison and the defense had to drag across the finish line.
  • Riveraggie
    Wildcat isn’t a gimmick, its not like they are fooling anyone or trying to, and it certainly isn’t a surprise.
  • NCagalum
    where are you finding the game stats? The program lists the 2 deep alphabetically so doesn’t indicate the starter. I can only find box score on UC Davis football web site, but can’t find participation list other than receiving/passing/rushing etc.
  • Toke69
    I am not obsessing over this, but I can't help but think that Hutton must have been a little dinged up. For what other reason would he not see much action. Also, didn't he just end a steak of catching at least one pass a game for ? games.
  • SochorField
    I have good money Lan stays next year. Loves the coaches and his teammates.
  • Riveraggie
    look at the box score for the game, participation tab lists the starters and everyone who participated.
    https://ucdavisaggies.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=24817

These stats flow right into the players bios if you look at the season stats for the player in the roster. So Eli is not credited with any game participation.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/sports/football/roster/eli-simonson/17420

Luke Roncevich has the credit for all those games, even though I don’t think he has played in any.

Here are the season statistics with a participation tab. Eli Simonson isn’t listed,
    https://ucdavisaggies.com/sports/football/stats
  • Riveraggie
    What if he graduates in four years and is drafted, he would be giving up more than college NLI money.
  • Riveraggie
    Yes, that was weird. Did anyone run a fly sweep? Davis seems to game plan in a way that they just discard major portions of their offense and just take what they think the opponent is most vulnerable to. Doesn’t seem to work all that well.
  • NCagalum
    got it. They only list 4 offensive lineman which is weird, leaving out Eli. They also only list 4 offensive lineman for ISU. 2 tackles, 2 guards, and a center make 5 by my math. For UCD they list 12 defensive starters and only 10 offensive starters. Both UCD and ISU total 22 starters. I wonder if they have something bad in their software in which total starting positions are fixed at 22 (seems logical). The UCD defensive starters are configured in a 3-4-5 defense so someone threw in a nickel back and evidently encumbered a slot that would normally go to an offensive starter, in this case Eli.
  • Riveraggie
    They list another name with Eli’s number 70. This is likely a result of the stats team not using the same roster, they have an error in their copy. Weird that it happens home and away.
  • movielover
    Hawkins moved quickly on his DC when he thought Coach Tucker wasn't cutting it. But Tucker wasn't an Aggie alum.
  • NCagalum
    that explains why they have 12 on defense. Roncevich doesn’t play (hardly plays at all?) and is a different number. He is listed in the 22 roster as 70 so that is evidently where that is being pulled even though the link goes to the 23 roster with his correct jersey number. Pretty simple database management and there should be someone checking on this who knows the roster (not just an IT person).
  • Riveraggie
    It is a general principle that for data everyone uses the same database. The online roster is authoritative, why are they using something else? And how are they going to fix this now that it is on the box score for both teams in every game played?
  • Riveraggie
    Being an Aggie alum doesn’t count for anything as far as job security in coaching. Cody never played for Hawkins, they don’t have a long history like he had with Tucker. I don’t know why we score two touchdowns a game less than we did last year with roughly similar talent. I think Cody has improved the run game some but the pass offense has fallen off. Cody might be good to keep as the OL coach. The QB coach hasn’t either shown by game results that he can prepare a new qb, or improve the one he inherited,
  • NCagalum
    correct the database and rerun to repopulate. If number - name - and position are correct seems to me it should be easy enough to correct all games. But I highly doubt that gets done at this juncture of the season.
  • movielover
    A wins a win, so congrats to the team. In defense of the new OC, I think both Plough and Cody also started out slow / predictable.

Don't we all recall Hawkins saying at his first presser, "I'm not one for 'see ball, get ball' ... I want some mis-direction, guys going this way and that way..."

No tempo (?), no fly sweep (?), put LL or TT in a run between the tackles... [did that cover tonight, I was juggling several interests]? No trick plays?... recall when Jake Maier used to Quick Kick for us to keep opposing speedsters off the field? ... last year with Cody we were predictable with UG, especially on first down. Both Chukwudobe and Babbs have big play potential, but don't get opportunities. Chaz Davis shines, and then drops off. Limited use of Pickett, a lengthy WR (6'4").

I see we didn't attempt one fourth down play (no confidence in our O), but we got 5 sacks. Huge. Kennedy huge w 3 sacks, 4 tackles for loss, Bains had 9 tackles to lead the team. Kavir Bains.

Next Sat could be ugly.
  • abridge
    I enjoyed the announcers. They were really good from the lead-in to the end of the game. They were even-handed, appropriately excited for the Idaho but not to a fault. I'd missed their names but they deserve excellent marks. The worst were the awful guys they brought in for the Montana game who were really in the gag-me-with-a-spoon territory.
  • agalum
    Did Winston Williams get any game time? I was looking forward to seeing his efforts. He looks like a baller.
  • CA Forever
    Yep, he was out there. Only had 1 catch that I can remember off the top of my head, but we couldn't muster much of a passing game in general.
  • movielover
    Idaho State Journal: "Then in the final quarter UCD was able to twice convert third down plays to keep their drive alive down the stretch. Five times Larison got the ball on the drive which he finished with that 23-yard score. He started up the middle, broke to the outside and got into the end zone.

“They should have given him the ball 40 times,” Cody Hawkins said. “He’s a stud. I love that kid. They broke a couple tendencies and hats off to the staff when they went with the wildcat formation. A lot of that stuff… it’s just get him the ball with leverage and numbers and he’s going to break tackles. He’s just a fantastic player.”
  • BlueGoldAg
    Man, I sure hope he stays here for next season!
  • NCagalum
    After speed watching the game again, a few observations:

-Chukwudobe is the best blocker amongst the running backs. He made several very good blocks, most of which helped create/maintain openings for Larison. Not sure why he hasn’t gotten more touches, but he has done the blue collar work of blocking.

-Tattersall has been a good addition this year after being injured last year. He plays with an attitude. Nice to have 2 big, strong linebackers like he and Buchanan.

- Kennedy is a natural pass rusher and disrupter. His tall rangy body is helpful and he had one heck of a game. Reminded me a little of his game against Idaho last year.

-Defensive middle has not suffered without Chubba because of Toki and Suani, plus the aforementioned big linebackers. Depth is important this time of the season when everyone has injuries.

- on one play (the Hastings deflected interception underneath) Gbatu had his guy beat on a double move deep. A sure TD assuming a decently thrown pass. He did a double move on a defender in second half on which the defender just took him down (PI penalty).

- Another slow start for the Ags on offense. I think ISU had them schemed well and knew tendencies. Also there were several miscommunications between Hastings and receivers.

- I noticed Chubba on the sidelines in street clothes. Didn’t notice a boot but not sure. Looked like Simpson was on a scooter.

-as for Larison, not much more to be said, other than to say in addition to being a great player, he has no quit in him. That’s leadership by example.
  • Riveraggie
    Bearden played nose tackle 30% of the snaps
  • SochorField
    I was not factoring in him as a draft pick.....Since Doss and Ulonzo weren't drafted, I assume he'd be a NDFA. One thing Lan has that Doss and Ulonzo didn't is the "acceptable" 40 time (in the 4.4's). The knee issue may scare some 7th round teams off.
    Selfishly, I hope he comes back and plays again.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!