• agalum
    Grade sheet, ISU against EW.
    https://www.idahostatejournal.com/sports/isu-football-position-grades-vs-eastern-washington/article_2d4a5f83-78ef-523b-9629-da919d21a2e4.html

“ Idaho State nearly recorded one of the biggest wins of Rob Phenicie’s tenure Saturday against Eastern Washington, but gave up two touchdowns in the final minutes to lose to the Eagles. How did the Bengals’ position groups grade out despite the loss?”
  • CA Forever
    ISU got blown out by Weber and had a narrow win over Southern Utah so take that as you will. Massey giving the Aggies a 77% chance of winning the game. The EWU game seems to be the outlier in performance based on where I saw ISU to start the season. I figured they would be in the bottom half of the conference and losing big to Weber and a close game with Southern Utah falls in line with that.

They throw the ball a lot, but their QB's accuracy is only sitting around 55% and he has already thrown 5 picks over 3 games. Their defense additionally looks suspect as they've given up 40 points in 2/3 of their games, so hopefully we can keep the offense rolling. The Aggies SHOULD win this game, but there's a reason why you actually have to play the game to determine the winner.
  • CA Forever
    New STATS FCS poll has the Aggies sitting at 15 (previously 21). I don't quite understand EWU at 12 (previously 15) considering they didn't play a game this last weekend, but we can settle that score in a couple weeks.
  • Riveraggie
    Idaho State hung with Weber for most the first half. They moved the ball against Weber. Weber broke open the game by exploiting a freshman defensive back. I only watched the first half of that game so my impression is based on them giving Weber a challenge early.
    So I wouldn’t discount ISU totally. Sagarin’s ratings have them more than a couple of touchdown underdog. But they aren’t like Cal Poly.
  • CA Forever
    I wasn't implying that it would be an easy game by any means or that we should take them lightly. I believe they are a better team than Poly right now, but I don't think they are in the top tier of the Big Sky. I believe that if both teams play to their best potential then we win the game, but you never know if a team will play to their best potential.
  • Riveraggie
    I knew that. You and I agree we should beat them and think they will.

My comment was focused on the Weber game, where the score was embarrassing for them but they showed some strength in the first half.

I also think Southern Utah isn’t that bad, again because I watched the first half of the NAU game, and was surprised they ended up losing. And then Southern Utah blew Poly out in the first half, essentially ending that game.

Bottom line is I think it will look like a contest this week, with us winning.
  • DrMike
    Definitely the best offense we’ve faced. If we don’t clean up the turnovers, this one won’t turn out well for us. We'll need to get pressure on the QB. Running game doesn’t look like much
  • CA Forever
    I think it's especially tough to look at common opponents this season with everything going on in the world. Idaho had players out against us who played versus EWU, Poly had limited practice leading up to their Southern Utah game, etc. I would hate to be on the selection committee at the end of this season considering how all the conferences have played different numbers of games and with limited to no cross conference play.

They are definitely the most pass happy offense we've faced so far at the very least. I would probably argue that Weber has a better overall offense than Idaho State, but it will be a different test for sure facing a team that wants to throw the ball 40+ times per game. Rating systems aren't the be all and end all of football analysis and often lack nuance, but Massey rates Idaho State's offense similarly to Idaho's, but they have a worse defense. I agree with you that we can't have some of the mistakes that we had against Poly though. The most notable one was probably the first drive of the game when Hunter fumbled on the goal line. Just have to get rid of the ball in some of those situations.
  • DrMike
    that play seemed to develop in super slo-mo and there was a point where they think ‘uh-oh this isn’t going to end well’. If looked like things sped up for him and he got stuck between passing and running. Bounced back okay after that!
  • Riveraggie
    Amazing that we’ve opened two games with horrible field position. That’s got to be a rare occurrence with the kickoff rules the way they are.
  • DrMike
    I think that’s why you see more and more fair catches on the kickoff.
  • NCagalum
    The ISU quarterback Vander Waal is a transfer from Wyoming. He is big and has a string arm but not real quick and not consistently accurate. They do not have a bevy of fast receivers, but they can move the ball. Their running game will have a hard time against the Aggie D in my opinion. They are not as good as their 2018 team.

The key is to get some pressure on their QB and rattle him. Also reduce the mistakes and turnovers. (A fair catch on a kick off is normally a pretty good decision). The Ags should be able to move the ball and put up quite a few points.

Interesting note is that ISU’s QB a year ago is playing for Missouri State. He qb’d in their win Saturday against northern iowa.
  • AggieFinn
    Rodrigues needs to play clean, and defense needs to keep tackling.
  • agalum

Tackling is much improved IMO compared to previous years. It will be interesting to see how we do against Barriere
  • Riveraggie
    In regards to tackling let’s recognize Jaylin White, probably the smallest guy out there for some great tackles, including flipping a running back, and for regaining the starting role he had as a sophomore before his head injury. While we’re at it let’s commend another guy whose main contributions in years past was as a kick returner, now also having a starting role Isaiah Thomas.
  • 69aggie
    Any reports on the player with the right arm injury? Never got his number. I think he was a DB starter. Didn’t look good on the sidelines. Even if its an AC sprain he is probably out for ID game.
  • Riveraggie
    I think it was Devon King, His substitute Budgett left after something wrong with his calf, hopefully a cramp but it happened during a collision
  • movielover
    How many of these players / linemen did DC Robert Tucker sign?
  • NCagalum
    it was Devon king - probably the best tackler - and certainly best corner on the team. Hope his injury is not too severe.
  • Riveraggie
    Jordan Perryman has been sharing one CB position with Devon King, starting the first two games this season. Devon started for the first time against Cal Poly. Perryman started all but one game at corner last year. Jaylin White has started every game this season at the other corner
  • elfan

Not exactly. King has started every game at the field corner and Perryman has started every game at the boundary corner. White is the nickel corner. The depth chart they post doesn't align with the defense that they're actually running.
  • Riveraggie
    comment based on list of game by game starters in game notes. I assume correct.
  • NCagalum
    that’s right- King has started every game to my knowledge - game notes are often incorrect t/misleading.
  • Riveraggie
    garbage in garbage out I guess. I don’t see why they would list starters if they can’t do it right. This isn’t the depth chart it is the listing of who started the prior games.
  • movielover
    Fantastic to see Dixon get some carries at running back. And to see our backup 3 QBs.
  • Riveraggie

It’s not just the game notes that don’t list king as a starter in the first two games, it’s the box scores for those games.
  • DrMike
    game stats show who actually started and it shows King.
  • elfan
    Some of the player participation reports not listed correctly either. Pretty odd. At Weber they started out with 4 DBs (King, Perryman, Venable, Thomas), yet it is White, the nickel who was not in the first play, listed in lieu of King. The D started out against Poly in the nickel, so the PP report doesn't even have the right positions for the lineup (DT, DT, End, 3 LBs, 5 DBs). Assume this is a result of fewer SID folks in the box to pay attention to such details this season.
  • DrMike
    I wonder if they get a lineup pregame that might have little to do with the game plan! You guys keep much closer tabs on it than me
  • 69aggie
    Does the non reporting of King’s injury mean anything? The last thing we need against ID ST is a lack of DBs. They are pass happy X10. All they got.
  • Riveraggie
    Will we see five* quarterbacks again? Is that a team record?

* Gilliam is the fifth quarterback as he took several direct snaps from center. I don’t see how he can not be considered the quarterback on those plays. He was alone behind center.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!