• movielover
    Interesting that he had so few offers, 247 and Scout had him as a 3 star recruit. From a family of QBs. Dad played at UCLA and Michigan State, uncle at USC and for 6 NFL teams, grandfather at Fresno State.
  • Riveraggie
    He’s apparently a pocket passer in an era when a lot of teams want dual threat QBs. And he’s average height. I think he’s here now because Hawkins is here. Georgetown struggled moving the ball two years ago and he got thrown in when they had an injury to starter and replacement struggled. On a team with some weapons he might shine. I think it’s a vote of confidence in our coaches that the kid is here since the decision likely reflects the opinion of his dad, uncle and grandfather.
  • Riveraggie
    Carson Crawford sure got a lot of press in high school. Small, but played QB his senior year and passed for 3000 yards, after staring as a receiver earlier. Point guard with pretty decent track speed and a shifty runner as a QB. Interesting. Yet another receiver to keep an eye on. We seem to have a lot of them.
  • SochorField
    I love the idea of getting CJ on the field at WR. Good athlete. This should have happened earlier IMO.
    I know the idea of losing a backup QB to injury doing something other than playing QB is not good, but maybe we are deep enough at QB to allow him to be used more on offense.

Trips with Doss, CJ and Montgomery sounds awesome.
  • Riveraggie
    I think we have to find ways to get the best athletes involved. Seems pretty basic but not always done I think they had a good idea using CJ as mostly a runner out of the QB position, but he misfired when passing last year so the wildcat stuff was too one dimensional. It doesn’t have to be. It’s a good wrinkle to make other teams prepare for.
  • DrMike
    CJ ran some as a receiver Saturday, out of the slot, big target for short to medium passes in open space
  • movielover
    Agreed. Only thing I'm not fond of is the hyperventilating / self congratulation when he scored a TD. Especially when we are down 2, 3 scores. ... better to thank the guys upfront. ... they ever try Leota in that situation?
  • Riveraggie
    Did they run fly motion plays? I thought fly sweeps or plays featuring that motion might have featured CJ last year, but it was mostly Montgomery as I recall.
    CJ would be more of a running back which I think would be appropriate especially if the play isn’t going to the sideline as it always seemed to be.
  • movielover
    And Modise. Don't forget Doss!
  • The Big Easy
    Interesting read on the comments here.

What I've been wondering... why are they not developing CJ's QB skills?

He has had an entire year to improve his accuracy which would add a needed dimension to the offense when they are struggling against tough opponents.

What if during the last 2 min of the EWU game CJ came in and ran some options and starting slinging the ball into tight windows to Doss and the other receivers!

I don't thing EWU would have been prepared for that.

I wonder if it's the coach(s) or the player?

Oh Well...Rock On Aggies!
  • Riveraggie
    His accuracy was better when he wasn’t the wildcat QB. Seems like when he was in an offense that was primarily run plays with him as carrier he lost the ability to hit the change of pace pass. Generalizing from small samples here.
    He’s not going to be our second string QB but could be very effective in short yardage or short field or running out the clock situations
  • movielover
    Coaches love CJ, but his accuracy problems were obvious at Hawk's first Blue Gold game.

New Nevada game scheduled, in Cal thread.

New LAVC commit, kicker, in recruit thread.
  • DrMike
    apparently Lehigh in coming out here either next year or the following.
  • Riveraggie
    I remember watching that game in D2 playoffs a long time ago. We lost. That was one of those rare games on TV. On the road.
  • DrMike
    We lost at home to Lehigh in 1977. 10:00 kick off at Toomey in the fog. My dad and I were there that day
  • Riveraggie
    I must have misremembered. I remember the grass being brown on my TV, so that must have fooled me into thinking it was back east,
  • OldAggie
    Sadly, I don't think CJ is the guy they thought he might be. Mobility is great, but it has to be combined with the ability to throw from the pocket. Aaron Rogers is so good because he can buy just enough time, but he can make every throw once he buys it. I think they thought CJ was that kind of guy, but he has struggled making the throws he just has to make. A wildcard is Hunter Rodriguez from American River. I saw him play in high school and the JC state championship last fall. He's very mobile, can throw it all over the place, and the only reason he is available to us is that he's undersized (weight not height). He could very well challenge for time this year...he's very good.
  • Riveraggie
    what’s your opinion on the wildcat that we sometimes used last year with CJ? Keep it or forget about it.
  • agalum
    ↪OldAggie what’s your opinion on the wildcat that we sometimes used last year with CJ? Keep it or forget about it.Riveraggie

It worked a few times, but every team on the planet was ready for it when CJ was put into the game. What worked a few times beyond the wildcat was when he rolled out and passed it instead of running with it. There were a few games where CJs athleticism really helped us, but from my perspective when he was rushed at all he just couldn't hit his receiver. This was really obvious in last years spring game. I think they used him a few times successfully as a receiver where he was effective.
  • OldAggie
    Honestly, I hate the Wildcat if you plan on running it as anything more than a gimmick package. It was amazing when Tebow, who could throw at an above average level and run like a mack truck, put pressue on coaches to defend an exposive passing game and power run game. Coaches know how to attack it on defense (man on the outside with 7 man box), and its rarely run anymore other than as a special package. CJ isn't bad at playing QB, he's just not as a good a passer his competition right now. I really like him as a QB, and loved what he did at Suck St. CJ is fast, but not that fast. While our competition doesn't usually have big LBs, they are almost always faster than most QBs (exception, Vernon Adams type talent). You have to be able to throw a 10 yard out from the pocket, on the roll, and hit the open guy downfield...period. If CJ is that guy, then awesome, his mobility makes him special. I want a guy who can extend a play a few seconds, and then throw a strike. If you are going to run the Wildcat, I like it to be a read option with at RB at QB who might be able to throw a 20 yard pass, but sure as hell can break a run for yardage.
  • OldAggie
    Don't know...but I think he played option QB high school.
  • Riveraggie
    I'm not adverse to gimmicks. Historically Davis has had trouble getting running the ball in short field situations, 1st and goal from the five doesn’t leave much room for passing. I’d like us to be able to call three running plays and score. There are other ways to get this accomplished but having a runner at QB is advantageous because the defense has another guy to pay attention to and the offense has another blocker or runner. You have to have that formation developed enough so that it’s not just a couple of plays and you have to still have some residual threat of throwing the ball, so maybe it’s not worth the effort to keep it for just occasional use. I’d like them to keep it but understand if they don’t.
  • The Big Easy
    Glad to hear the feedback on CJ.

Your point about Aaron Rogers gives me the perfect segue into what I was getting at.

The Aaron Rodgers of today is not the Aaron Rodgers that came out of Cal and in the pros his first few years.
    He along with Tom Brady developed their skills sets...accuracy can be achieved if practiced enough.

That is why I wonder if CJ is putting in the work. He has been here long enough, has the arm strength and athleticism to spin that ball!

Why is CJ not challenging for the #1 spot and a solid 2nd string. What happens if Maier goes down?

He only needs to be accurate within 20 yards but it would be awesome to see him launch a bomb that surprises the defense.

There is enough film on us to know that when CJ comes into the game we are going to run.

I just hope when next season starts the coaches don't run that play thinking they are going to surprise the opposition!

We are going to need some new wrinkles on our offense because the opposing teams have plenty of film to review on the Maier to Doss connection.

Re: Defense
    I hope we don't go into next season with freshman CBs!
  • DrMike
    'brown' was the standard color of the Toomey turf in November!
  • movielover
    We should give Stanford a far better game than we did last time.
  • OldAggie
    Our QB has to be good from 50 yards! I was talking about an RB playing wildcat QB. By the way, Rogers was insanely accurate in college. I was a huge fan of his at Cal (I grew up watching the Bears stink up Memorial during the 70's. I think he had 21 completions in a row against SC, and the incompletion that broke the streak was a dropped TD pass. Spencer may not be accurate...it's just the way it is for some guys. So many pitchers washout because they don't have control...same goes for QBs. I hope we air it out! We have proven over the past 7 years that we are not Stanford mauling the ball down the field. Chuck it Hawk!
  • Riveraggie
    Judging by the Spring scrimage Brock Johnson is our number 2 QB, with Hunter Rodrigues as another contender for that I in the summer; I’m assuming he’s not here already.
    On defense freshmen won’t play unless they’re good. We’re not short of defensive players. It was good to hear regarding the scrimage that the corners looked good and the defense was tough to run against. That’s much better than hearing the offense dominated because we know our offense is going to be pretty good. While it would be great to see a new player earn playing time we’re returning a lot of guys off our 2 deep and have a lot of redshirts.
  • movielover
    But will our defense and special teams improve? Did TThomas play?
  • 69aggie
    Didn’t we recruit another good QB out of sac. Jusuit? Don’t see him here. . .
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!