• movielover
    He gained another 500 yards in practice.
  • Riveraggie
    CA Forever
    I think the point you make about yards per carry and number of touchdowns is indicative of him not being too explosive. I get the impression that their whole team is more grind it out than explosive.
    The receivers haven’t averaged much per catch, even in their last scrimmage; possibly due to QB. Apparently their tight end is their pro prospect. Maybe they have some newcomer who is going to be more explosive.
    My guess is that they will try to maintain the ball, overpower us. Our offense should be looking to fool their defensive unit which won’t have much experience. I think we are a difficult opponent for a team making wholesale changes on defense because we are varied in what we do. It’s not all about stopping Doss by a long shot. I hope we’ve improved our run game, not just with the running backs but with the linemen, where we’ll have a couple of new starters. I’ll be surprised if we don’t reach our average score, if the defense gets the ball back for us.
  • 69aggie
    I absolutely agree with River. Don’t even think about over confidence with this game. SJ will come out in a fury of emotional physicality and aggression. We are the type of team that they have institutionally hated for decades: their so-called “Elites” of California universities: Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, a few other major schools, and now us. Expect a very blue collar, penalty infused game with I hope few injuries. Doss alone will not win this game. Prediction: 21-20 Ags.
  • movielover
    Trying to stop our offense would be no fun ... don't forget, we get Mitchell Layton back at RB. The new redshirt rule could let us get a peak at players like scatback? Trevor Facey. Don't forget last year's highly touted recruit, Carson Crawford.

Will the Blue Force rebound?
  • DavisAggie
    And the over/under is 69
  • Zander
    Is this game just simply not on TV?

I didn't fret a month ago when I assumed that there would be an announcement later for it getting streamed on Facebook or something, but with a week to go and seeing nothing I'm wondering if nothing is planned
  • movielover
    2012 Game Recap: San Jose State’s 45-13 win over UC Davis marked the Spartans’ highest point total and largest margin of victory since Nov. 2007.

Ags scored early on a long pass from Randy Wright; threatened early w 2nd score. Spartans got rolling on both sides. Offense a lot of 3 and outs, keeping the D on the field, worn down.

SJS was led by Coach Mike MacIntyre, who went 11-2. The Ags went 4-7.
  • Riveraggie
    That’s the only game in this century decided by more than four points I believe. San Jose is one of those schools that fluctuates between pretty good and poor. They were pretty good that year.
  • movielover
    Anyone here know how or if we sub out our O line? ... I got the impression Coach Gould had our starting O line play a lot of minutes at Oregon... into the 4th quarter? I could be wrong ... we did have one late impressive drive there.
  • Thetoe
    Does anyone know if the Thursday nights game will be televised on Pluto TV?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I looked everywhere online and I'm not seeing anything about the game being televised. Root Sports and Pluto TV do not show it on their schedules for the Big Sky nor does the Mountain West Conference. I assume the game will be broadcast live on the radio by KHTK 1140 and KDVS and the only other he only other media I have seen scheduled is Live Stats. So it appears that we won't be watching the game on TV.

Bummer!!
  • Zander
    well that stinks. I mean I always like listening to our broadcast team but I thought we'd moved beyond the era of untelevized games, especially against an FBS opponent
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    But I can tell you as a former east bay native, no one cares about SJSU football. Not even most alums. SJSU does have loyal fans, but the majority are there for school and not for sports. Pretty much everyone in the Bay is either a Cal fan, a Stanford fan (alums or Peninsula/South Bay only really), Oregon nike kids, Fresno / SDSU fan, or non-local transplant for some other Pac12 or NCAA team.I grew up supporting Cal in the Pac 12 and now UC Davis also in FCS.

Basically no SJSU games are ever televised locally in the Bay area unless it is a high profile opponent or no pro teams are being shown on NBCS BA/CA. They have a local radio station and that's about it. They get a distant third billing in college football behind Cal and Stanford. They are also behind the WCC teams in popularity and covergae for basketball.
  • Riveraggie
    kind of like Sacramento State and UCD, But at least they have a web presence and some Mercury news coverage
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    True, but when you consider FCS vs FBS, the coverage for Davis and Sac is only slightly less on account of Sacramento having fewer teams in the area to cover and located in Sacramento proper. UC Davis has the college town and academic prestige too. Its not like SJSU is a dumb school...far from it esp in education or business, but it gets overshadowed being a commuter school. Anyway, I hope many Ags fans make it to the game.
  • lucche
    I did find this about the game:
    http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/02/uc-davis-san-jose-state-ssu-uab-thursday-aug-30/

The original schedule for this gane was 9/1, but moved up to Thursday 8/30 for television.
  • The Big Easy
    I found these tonight and I don't know much about them.

I'll be taking a closer look to determine which if any is worthwhile before the game on the 30th.

https://livecollegefootballstream.com/2018/07/uc-davis-vs-san-jose-state-college-football/html

https://vsle.org/ncaaf-live/

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=227216
  • Riveraggie
    Finally a Davis Enterprise article about the game focused on our running backs. Interesting that Ulonzo Gilliam is in the mix.

“Gilliam, Thomas and Modise have all had good camps. And I don’t think any one tailback is going to take all the snaps in our system. We feel each one has a little bit different talent and different skillset,” believes Speckman, who like any good coach isn’t about to spill the beans on a game plan for Thursday.
  • movielover
    Gilliam ran for 1,500 yards his senior year, 2x MVP.
  • Riveraggie
    from a high school Speckman was once head coach at. I wonder if they still run Speckman’s fly offense
  • movielover
    DL Fabian Hunkin leaner, lost 15 pounds.

We appear deeper at WR, RB, and DB. Hopefully same for DL and LB.
  • Riveraggie

His HS coach
    “His vision, athleticism, ability to pass protect and pass receive make him a great running back,” Scheidt said. “The way we run gave him the freedom to take an inside run and bounce it outside or take an outside run and cut up the field. He was a kick returner and punt returner. If he’s not the best, he’s one of the best open-field tacklers we’ve ever had”
    Like a lot of guys at this level, an incredible high school career in both football and basketball
  • movielover
    Game Notes up - SJSU. Appears to be the depth chart from last year.

http://www.sjsuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082618aac.html
  • Riveraggie
    Interesting to note:
    CJ Spencer is listed as starting wide receiver.
    Darius Livingston is on the 2 deep depth chart wide receiver, we haven't seen him play
    Luka Nixon is on the depth chart.at Defensive End, he redshirted last year.
    Ulonzo Gilliam is listed behind Tehran at running back.
    Montel Bland is on the depth chart at linebacker, a redshirt last year
    Erron Duncan is listed as a starting corner. He redshirted last year
    Redshirt freshman Devon King on depth chart at corner
    Not that this is necessarily accurate, but I believe it reflects who's done well enough in camp to get some notice,

I wish we had last years depth chart to compare but the web site redesign lost those links..
    I think Olave moved from corner to safety., Parenteau from safety to linebacker,
  • movielover
    Where did you get these?

Erron Duncan was a surprise stud last year.
  • movielover
    Brock Johnson, backup QB.
  • Riveraggie
    yep. Kind of predictable. So Spencer probably full time receiver.
    Also other redshirt players in depth chart. Pretty good 1st class for Hawkins when added to the freshmen who played last year, I think maybe some of this year’s freshmen will play a role this year, just not necessarily in first game.
  • CA Forever
    Per Kevin Blue, there is going to be NO online stream of the game. Radio only. SJSU only FBS team apparently to not offer stream for week 1. Holy hell, it's 2018...
  • Riveraggie
    So why a Thursday night? I assumed that was for TV.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!