• Toke69
    The Anteaters moved into a tie with UC Santa Barbara with a solid win over them on Wednesday, 70-59, using the absence of Andre Kelly to take a 38-26 rebounding edge. After beating the Aggies at Davis in early January, UCI will have a lot of confidence going into this game. For their part, the Aggies should recall how they came back from being 16 points down with 2 minutes left in the game to make the final score respectable. No question that it will tough to leave Irvine with a W, but we could really use it to stay in the thick of the race. We're still in the fight for third seed.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'd forgotten that amazing rally.

We were actually down 16 (83-67) with 1:09 to go in the game and cut the lead to 4 (86-82) with 16 seconds to go before losing 88-83. So that was an 16-5 run by the Aggies in just 53 seconds to get within 4. We came so close to pulling of the most amazing comeback in Aggie basketball history.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Current Big West standings:

1. UC Santa Barbara 11-3 20-5
    1. UC Irvine 11-3 18-8
    3. UC Riverside 10-5 17-10
    4. Hawai'i 9-5 18-8
    5. Cal State Fullerton 9-6 15-12
    5. Long Beach State 9-6 15-12
    7. UC Davis 8-6 15-11
    8. CSU Bakersfield 6-9 10-16
    9. UC San Diego 3-11 8-18
    10. CSUN 3-12 6-20
    11. Cal Poly 1-14 7-20
  • BlueGoldAg
    Other Big West games on Saturday:

Hawaii at Long Beach 4 pm
    Poly at Fullerton 4 pm
    Santa Barbara at Riverside 5 pm
    CSUN at San Diego 7 pm
  • BlueGoldAg
    I wonder if Sione Losé will be available for the game tomorrow. He looked very shaken up after he got fouled hard and crashed into the ESPN cameraman under the basket. He was motionless for 30 seconds or so and, when got up, he was wobbly and needed assistance to get to the training table area. I'm assuming he may have suffered a concussion and was probably placed in the concussion protocol. He didn't return to the game.

Anyone know anything more about what happened and how he's doing?
  • DrMike
    we sit up above the bench so we couldn’t see the collision very wel (bodies in between). We was wobbling. Given the extra day (Wednesday to Saturday) there’s a chance he’ll be ready.

I’m getting concerned about Beasley’s return.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I think he ran (fell) into the cameraman. I couldn't see it really well, but it didn't look good. Fingers crossed that it's not too bad for him, and for Beasley.
  • agalum
    A lady that was sitting where Lose’ fell pointed to the rib area after he was assisted to the training bench. I wonder if he cracked a rib on the chair when he went down? I broke a couple of ribs falling off a ladder a few years ago. I was motionless for about 5 minutes as i self assessed the injury. It hurts like hell and took a few months to heal.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I've broken my ribs and cracked them and torn rib cage cartilage several times when I was into mountain biking. There's nothing nothing they do for you when it happens unless the broken rib is damaging some internal organs. It's a slow painful recovery and it's miserable trying to sleep for quite a while. I hope that Losé doesn't have a rib injury.
  • Toke69
    I hope Losé is okay as well. If not, though not wanting to place an onus on the young man, lots of athletes have played with a broken rib, using a flak jacket or some such protection to prevent further injury and just sucking up the pain. I've broken my ribs four times and, although I am no hero, I was able to play basketball with them and with no flak jacket, hoping that I wouldn't aggravate it. Was that stupid? Sure, but that was how much I enjoyed playing (and would still be playing if my creaky old body would let me). At the same time, I didn't have to oppose a coach or trainer who was looking out for my interest and not wanting the team to suffer by having a less than 100% player on the court.
  • agalum
    Just to clarify I don’t know what he injured, only that the lady sitting there motioned to her ribs when another lady was talking to her. I just speculated that he may have banged into one of the chairs and injured a rib. Whatever it is, lets hope he is ok.
  • abridge
    We watched Losé's progress after his injury. He was on the treatment table, prone, with what we thought was a hot towel on his back for some time. Then they fitted him with one of those electro-corsets with the blinking lights. So they were treating his back.
  • DrMike
    tip off is 1:00 - early start
  • Toke69
    Horrible start in almost every way. UCI already has 11 rebounds. Ugly.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We're off to a terrible start down 10-2. Irvine is killing us on the boards and we're having defensive breakdowns again.
  • DrMike
    Getting killed on the offensive boards. No score legend on TV and their announcer hyperventilating on every bucket. Might be a short watch for me
  • DrMike
    Manu in the game so must be no Lose. Don’t even see him on bench (Beasley in sweats)
  • DrMike
    Eaters take a lot of rough hits away from the ball. Pepper got hammered on the baseline, now Anigwe on a screen. And announcer says it should be an illegal screen cuz Anigwe moved. Yeah when the guy ran through him and pushed
  • Toke69
    Good to see the guys take a heavy punch early and come back to make a game of this. Still need to keep the Anteaters of their offensive boards.
  • BlueGoldAg
    What the heck is up with us getting beat on these outlet passes and easy buckets for Irvine?
  • Toke69
    Phantom foul called on Eli!
  • DrMike
    Pretty clear if we go to the bucket, expect a ton of hard contact
  • DrMike
    This is getting ugly fast; 37-23 with 2 to go
  • DrMike
    Down 39-31. We have the ball to start the half. TY sat much of end of the half. Not sure if for fouls or defensive breakdowns
  • Toke69
    I turned off the sound. Their play-by-play guy is the most irritating one I've ever heard. Never thought I'd wish for a color guy. It's aggravating enough that we're getting whipped in every aspect except blocked shots. We've missed way too many bunnies.
  • DrMike
    So much for the fast start, 3 from the big German, a layup to him and an assist from him. Ty sitting again. Down 50-37. We’ll be in the bonus for last half of 2nd
  • agalum
    Well heck, missed the first half as i planned my day around a 2 pm start. I feel like their announcer is constantly yelling into the mic.
    Any news on Lose’?
  • DrMike
    No Lose. Pepper has single handedly got us bsck in this. 60-59 them with 7 to go, Anigwe on the line. Ton of fouls. Lots of FTs down the line. Not sure we have the depth for that
  • Toke69
    6:57 to go, No Aggie has 4 fouls. Not worried.
  • DrMike
    Tough 3 there by eater; down 4 with 3:00 to go. Someone beside Pepper needs to score. Tossed a box and one at him a couple times
  • Toke69
    It's been a game of runs. I hope the Ags go on the last one at crunch time now and can pull the upset. Go Ags!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!