• Toke69
    The Ags return home to play an odd Monday game in between two tough road games. The Big West scheduler has not made it easy for us. This could be what is known as a trap game since it is a supposedly easy opponent coming after a tough loss to UCI and a crucial match with Fullerton. UC San Diego is coming off an upset win over CSUN whom they have swept even while losing all 6 of the other league games they played. This is no game for UC Davis to take lightly as the Tritons gave the a lot of trouble down in La Jolla. Guard Bryce Pope has been coming on lately and is now the league's second leading scorer behind Elijah Pepper.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Current Big West standings:

1. UC Irvine 12-3 19-8
    2. UC Santa Barbara 11-4 20-6
    3. UC Riverside 11-5 18-10
    4.Hawai'i 10-5 19-8
    5.Cal State Fullerton 10-6 16-12
    6. Long Beach State 9-7 15-13
    7. UC Davis 8-7 15-12
    8. CSU Bakersfield 6-9 10-16
    9. UC San Diego 4-11 9-18
    10. CSUN 3-13 6-21
    11. Cal Poly 1-15 7-21
  • BlueGoldAg
    Other Big West games on Monday:

Hawaii at Bakersfield 5 pm
    Irvine at Poly 7 pm
    Fullerton at Santa Barbara 7 pm
    Riverside at CSUN 7 pm
  • DrMike
    not sure I’d classify anything as an upset win over CSUN. Matadors were really bad. But, this is a dangerous game as you point out especially when you add in a probable small Presidents’ Day crowd.
  • Toke69
    Anyone know why the BW thought scheduling games on Prez's day was a good idea? I think the only other Big West school that has to do an away-home-away triathlon is CSU Bakersfield and they don't have to travel very far to do it. Plus The Beach gets a bye.
  • DrMike
    mid January we had a home Saturday, Monday in San Diago, and home Thursday and Saturday. That was a stretch!
  • Toke69
    Does UCD get ay say in the scheduling, like maybe a representative on a committee?
  • DrMike
    pretty sure the answer is no with regard to date/location. Maybe we have some input on game time but even that might be influenced by our opponents travel needs (getting out of Sac or into a SOCal airport before a certain time)
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I’m going to try and make it out there today. Will Pepper go for another 30?
  • BlueGoldAg
    My wife and I will be there. Eli could drop another 30 for sure.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Vegas has us as 8.5 point favorites today with an over/under of 143. I wouldn't be surprised if the game is closer than the spread.

SD is a pretty good basketball team and, despite their overall record, they're capable of beating anyone in the league. I expect that there will only be a very small crowd today so the team won't have a lot of vocal support and I hoping we won't come out emotionally flat and dig ourselves a big hole. We've had to come from behind a lot this year after starting slow. It would be great to see us come out, take control early and maintain a solid lead throughout the game. Go Ags!
  • Toke69
    Does anyone else think it odd that Pepper seems to have a scoring ceiling of 32? Not complaining, just think its odd.
  • DrMike
    we'll be there with a couple of the grandkids in two. Hope to see Johnson get back in a groove. Hopefully, we'll get a decent student turn-out despite it being a beautiful Presidents day afternoon
  • Toke69
    Yes, even disregarding his suspension, Ty seems to have slipped a bit in his game the last few weeks. He really does need to find his groove, the sooner the better.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Attendance is much better than I expected with a good student turnout.
  • agalum
    Biggest crowd I recall seeing
  • BlueGoldAg
    We got off to a quick start and then went cold. The Tritons’ zone is making tough for us.
  • DrMike
    a ton of student athlete; many who just left after the halftime salute
  • Toke69
    Doesn't help that Pepper has hit a cold streak( 2/10). I expect him to snap out of it in the second half.
  • Toke69
    It's such a relief to hear Rob Williams do the color after the last two road games. He's smart,explaiins well, calm, and relatively objective
  • Russ Bowlus
    The ever-popular fouls and timeouts stage of the game...
  • BlueGoldAg
    This was a good win for the Aggies over a team that's much better than their overall record.

It was interesting listening to Les in the post-game. He was really happy with how the Ags just kept grinding. He said the team was tired from all the travel and games since last Thursday and, with Losé and Beasley injured and TY out most the game with foul trouble, he needed everyone to step up and they did. He said we got good minutes from Rocak and Manu and was especially happy with how DeBruhl and Milling stepped up. He also noted how team came out aggressive on defense to start the second half and got us going on the right foot.
  • DrMike
    It seemed like there were 2 or 3 times we’d get to an 11 point lead and seem to be on our way to a big win……and then a couple lousy possessions, a couple 3 point plays and it’s a one-possession game! Grind is a good

Leo and Kane really showed up big. Leo went from a bit of a liability early in the season to a solid player. He hit some big buckets tonight!

Key stat: 8 turnovers! That’s been a big improvement.

Nice crowd - very pleasant surprise.

Scary to see Angiwe come off the court limping after 2 critical offensive boards. We’re getting thinner and thinner at a critical time

Triton’s defense did a great job on Pepper. You could see how frustrated he was from not getting open looks.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Other final scores in the Big West today:

Irvine 59 Poly 56 (Irvine came back from 10 down in the 2nd half to win it in the final minute)
    Riverside 96 CSUN 74
    Fullerton 74 Santa Barbara 60
    Hawaii 61 Bakersfield 50
  • DrMike
    got no help from Gauchos! I think we need to focus on passing Long Beach
  • agalum
    I thought this was Debruhl’s best game of the year. He’s really maturing as a player before our eyes. This may have been the best attendance of the year as well.
  • DrMike
    official attendance was around 1700, less than Hawai’i. That didn’t seem the case to me - thought crowd was bigger yesterday
  • BlueGoldAg
    These "official' attendance figures are baffling to me. 1700 seems low to me from what I saw.
  • DrMike
    the 900 for CSUN seemed low. I’m guessing there’s something in how they count students that causes the oddness
  • Toke69
    Maybe none of the student athletes in attendance were included?
  • BlueGoldAg
    From the Davis Enterprise:

San Diego head coach Eric Olen, whose team is in the third year of a four-year transition from Division II to Division I and is ineligible for the conference title this season, had high praise for the Aggie effort.

“Davis really impacted us with their defense and their physicality,” said Olen.

“We felt pretty good at halftime (trailing 33-31), but we just weren’t able to get over the hump. We knew they were a very good team and they showed it.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/basketball-uc-davis-men-win-despite-bad-shooting/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!