• CA Forever
    With the nail biter against the Vikings in the books, it's time to get ready for Homecoming and the Battle for the Golden Horseshoe as Cal Poly comes to town. It's no secret that the Mustangs have been... struggling... as they haven't had a winning season since 2016 and are a collective 18-56 to date since that season. Their season so far has been as following:

@ San Diego - L 21-27
    @ Stanford - L 7-41
    vs Western Oregon - W 31-14
    @ Northern Colorado - W 28-7
    vs Idaho State - L 38-41

The loss against San Diego stands out, but it appears that the Mustangs have found at least a little bit of identity in the last couple of games against Northern Colorado and Idaho State. I mean, Northern Colorado is REALLY bad, but you take wins when you can get them and maybe it was the spark they needed to get the ball rolling a little bit.

The Mustangs have not had consistency at QB playing time this season as they have failed to truly pick a guy in the fallout of Huard transferring out of the program. Bo Kelly has had the most passing snaps so far this season completing 65/103 (63.11%) for 712 yards with 4 TDs and 4 INTs. That being said, in the last 2 games Jaden Jones has been thrown into the mix completing 13/23 passing attempts (56.52%) for 237 yards with 2 TDs and 2 INTs. Jones has been able to add a different dimension to their offense with his legs as he's had 132 yards rushing on 8 attempts with a rushing TD. Richie Watts (transfer from Buffalo) has also gotten snaps, but has primarily been used to run the ball with 22 caries for 124 yards and 3 TDs.

Cal Poly's lead RB has been Aiden Ramos who has collected 245 yards and a TD on 64 attempts (3.7 avg), but have also gotten contributions from Zion Hall with 23 carries for 122 yards (5.3 avg). In terms of receiving, the Mustangs have been targeting 2 main WRs. Giancarlo Woods has 19 receptions for 259 yards and TD while Michael Briscoe has 11 receptions for 256 yards and 3 TDs. TE Jake Woods has also added 2 TDs on 9 receptions.

Defensively, the most dangerous guy on the field for the Mustangs is DL Elijah Ponder. He had double digit sacks last season and has been off to a good start this season with 4. If our offensive line does not key in on him, he is going to make things very difficult for Miles. They only have forced 2 interceptions on the season, but have notably forced 6 fumbles (recovered 4). In 2023, they were giving up over 400 yards per game, but so far this season have seen mild improvement giving up 380 per game.

All-in-all, I think this should be a game that the Aggies win, but we've been far from consistent despite our record and they seem to have found their offensive footing in the last couple of games. I mean, we've really played down to teams that we probably should have beaten by larger margins. Take into consideration that a lot of this goes out the window in a rivalry game and it could be the makings of a good game. If there's one game this season Cal Poly would love to win, it's this one. As I mentioned in the Big Sky thread, Cal Poly has a brutal remaining schedule with games against UC Davis, Idaho, Montana, Northern Arizona, Sac State, and Weber State. It is possible that they finish the season with 2 wins, but you never know what's going to happen in the Big Sky... including against us! Here's hoping for a HUGE crowd.

Updated Massey numbers give the Aggies a 92% chance of winning; Davis dropped 1 spot in their power rankings for a close win over PSU, while CP dropped 6 spots for their close loss to ISU. I'm kind of surprised to see them drop for that game. I don't think there is any way for an algorithm to take into consideration that it's a rivalry game.

GO AGS! BEAT THE MUSTANGS!
  • movielover
    They took Idaho State down to the wire.
  • CA Forever
    Yep, I mentioned in my post that they've found their offense in the last 2 games compared to some pretty concerning performances to start the season. That being said, close only counts in horseshoes (no pun intended) and hand grenades and as others have mentioned in other threads at the end of the season "quality losses" don't mean anything to a playoff selection committee. I imagine this will be a close fought battle due to the rivalry factor, but hopefully a hostile crowd will make things difficult on the Mustangs.
  • CA Forever
    Also worth noting that ISU absolutely TORCHED the Mustangs through the air. ISU's QB dropped 425 yards and 3 TDs while one of their receivers had 236 receiving yards. Said receiver only had 249 yards going into the game.

If the offensive line holds Ponder in check, it would be nice to see Miles shred up the Poly defense.
  • AggieFinn
    We Want The Shoe!
  • agalum
    Poly’s #17 has a really good arm and the dude can run! Historically we’ve struggled against those mobile QBs. They are rotating qbs with another guy who looks to be the more accurate short yardage slinger.
  • movielover
    FTR, as we stand now for UC football teams:

Aggies - 5-1, 2-0
    Bears - 3-2, 0-2
    Bruins - 1-4, 0-3
  • NCagalum
    That Watt guy can run. His success in that was due to big line splits and hitting gaps that looked like one could drive a Mac truck through. The QB that looked good at UNC and first of the Idaho State game is Jones. He is quite mobile and extends plays and throws well. He was injured in the Idaho State game, and in my opinion is their best all-round QB. I think film study will be helpful. Poly is definitely improving and needs to be taken seriously.
  • SochorField
    So far the Aggies are #2 in total offensive plays and #8 in scoring offense (26 PPG).
    Interesting.
  • DrMike
    how about time of possession?
  • Riveraggie
    what is the universe of games? Big sky conference games?
  • Riveraggie
    I think he is talking about overall statistics of big sky teams. Davis ranks 4th in time of possession. In conference games time of possession Davis ranks 7

In conference games Davis has not attempted a red zone field goal, and is 7/9 with touchdowns, failure is downs in the infamous swinging gate play against Idaho and the failure is the end of the first half against portland There are no red zone fumbles or interceptions in the stats. The problem we had in conference games are both related to illegal formations..

Davis ranks fifth on defense and sixth on offense in scoring in conference games, i think overall stats are pointless as the schedules are so diverse.
  • DrMike
    sorry that was a weak joke referring to the Gould era!
  • Riveraggie
    Gould’s teams lined up correctly, or so an opposing coach said when trying to says something positive.
  • DrMike
    ‘other than that Mrs Lincoln, how’d you like the play?’

Maybe we need Gould as a red zone ‘line up correctly’ consultant
  • Riveraggie
    Might help with the PAC 12 bid.
  • SochorField
    I'm confused on what kind of team we have here, even at this point in the season.
    Aggies could go 9-3 and easily make the playoffs OR finish 7-5 and get left out (again).

Either scenario is entirely possible and I'm pinning the rest of the season on how Plough handles OC duties. Is he able to get Larison in position to dominate and play to his real potential?
  • Riveraggie

I think it’s a defensive problem when a team gains 11.3 yards per pass attempt. That is not a one game issue either, as Texas A&M Commerce, a winless team who was playing the backup QB gained more yards through the air than any Div 1 game that week, Defense is at most marginally better than the offense.
  • SochorField
    Pass D is for sure an issue as well. Work to do on both sides of the ball.
  • 69aggie
    Having been somewhat critical of our pass defense in the past I have to remind myself that we have won all those games where we did give up lots of yardage by the pass. So why? I think we have a clear strategy of using a (not quite) prevent pass defense on almost every defensive play. Yes, this gives up plenty of yards, but it does eat up time on the clock and prevent (most) quick TDs. Anyway just IMHO for what it’s worth.
  • AggieFinn
    Saturday Weather forecast: High 70's, Partly Cloudy
  • SoCalAggie
    Pass D lives and dies with pressure on the QB from the front four. You can only ask DBs to do their job for so long. Truthfully I think our secondary is a strength of ours and they are being outed because of literally a non existent pass rush…
  • AggieFinn

I agree with this point. My Dad said the same thing in Portland...used to coach D Line at Linfield College -- couldn't believe how much time Chachere had.

Poly highlights vs. Idaho State - these guys can play:
  • Riveraggie
    Not that the injured guys are the solution to the issue, but we’ve had defensive linemen, who last year tended to play more on passing downs, out injured. We’ve had the linebacker who is typically a standup pass rusher on the line, missing games.
    Portland has a heavy offensive line, everyone at the top of their depth chart over 320lbs.
  • DrMike
    PSU announcers mentioned Zach Kennedy played every down vs Idaho. Hard to get great pass rushes without a rest, especially late in the game.
  • MTBAggie
    can they get the audio figured out on these? I have to turn the volume WAY up, and you still can't here the questions. Also, I'm a dad, too, but I just don't understand having the kids at these press conferences. Not sure if it was one or two weeks ago where one of the kids was digging for gold in his nose.
  • Riveraggie
    What is the status of the reserve defensive lineman Carrillo and Carrade.?
    Those guys haven't played in.recent games, due to injury. They normally would play on some of the passing downs. Are they expected back?
    We played more reserves against Portland than Idaho.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!