• PortlandAggie
    What a mess. Let's sit this around out ;)
  • movielover
    All need to also consider those still considering an exit. They could be at eight schools one day, and six the next.
  • Toke69
    Didn't they have a two year "trial period?" I read that somewhere.
  • LeFan

The reimagined MWC is a step down from the Big Sky.
  • Toke69
    UTEP to join Pac-X
  • BlueGoldAg
    Toke, UTEP is actually joining the MWC.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Last I heard from Vivek he was playing the role of John Fisher’s fool. #selltheteam
  • PortlandAggie
    It's not a recipe for success. Students would have to get in their cars and drive to home basketball games, albeit just 6-7 miles, but still not walking distance. And what about volleyball?
  • BaseballAtDobbins

They will get a bump in attendance from casual fans but students aren't going to take light rail or drive to every night game. If someone commutes from Roseville or Natomas, how often will they go to games?
  • Zander
    I have to imagine that playing every game downtown is a stopgap and the mid to long term plan is that a PAC Sac State would eventually have a modern, somewhat bigger arena on campus then play marquee home games like Gonzaga or big noncon games at the G1C.

Kinda what USF currently does with the Chase Center
  • DavisAggie
    I used to live in Natomas. It actually was quicker to get in and out Golden One than Arco.
  • PortlandAggie
    True. It's definitely a stopgap. Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like things for them are moving too fast. And I’m not being bitter. I’m happy for them, but maybe more planning is needed.
  • movielover
    Is the track still going to be there, i.e. less enjoyable for the fans.
  • BlueGoldAg
    KCRA Nightly News covered the announcement that the Kings and Sac State are working on the details of the Hornets playing in the Golden 1 Center for basketball. They also said that downtown business owners are in favor of the push for Sac to move up to a major D1 conference.
  • movielover
    Substack - John Canzano: "The conference needs to add at least one more school that plays all sports.

"Make another run at Memphis?

"See if UNLV has a case of buyer’s remorse?

"Or something else?

"I’ll answer those questions in a moment, but first, let’s examine what landing the Zags did for the 108-year-old conference — it boosted credibility, increased media value, and raised profile.

"As one Pac-12 campus source told me: “Gonzaga was a big get.”..."

7400 students and 18 BCAA sports. Adding their men's basketball team was a big bonus.
  • Wookie
    ESPN is coming to Berkeley this Saturday for College Game Day (6am pst). The Bears game with Miami is at 7:30pm. My son and I saw CAL beat Miami in the Emerald Bowl at Oracle and it was packed. Will be interesting to see how well the featured game will draw. CAL has had challenges getting folks to attend late games. Prime time slots are for reserved for the top teams. So what’s my point? Will SS be able to consistently draw for football and basketball games with a move up? I personally would not have interest in any of the proposed Pac schools, except Gonzaga. But that’s me.
    Best of luck to them.
  • yolohw
    Sac State is and always will be a commuter school so probably not much difference in student attendance. The deal with Golden 1 is probably temporary while they set up their new arena, which I think was supposed to be in the Well, the Sac State equivalent of the ARC.
  • DrMike
    the whole reorganization seems so weird to me. Like all the sudden by labeling it the PacX, that Friday night game between Fresno and San Diego State is going to draw more eyeballs.

I know market size is important, but i think quality of the conference means much more when it comes to getting a lucrative TV contract. I don't think ABC was counting on huge numbers last Saturday in Tuscaloosa and Atlanta to drive their advertising sales.
  • SochorField
    Anytime I hear "funding secured" my first reaction is to roll my eyes.....
    I asked this a little while back, but what happens if there is no FBS conference invite? Is there actually $35 million in the bank? No FBS, no Stadium/Arena? My hunch is it all goes away if Sac remains in the FCS.
  • DrMike
    I still get hung up on the increase in scholarships. The new limit will be 105 and you must fund at least 90% - 95. So, FCS -> new FBS is 32 scholarships on both sides. I know they are proposing increases in softball (nearly 20) and track that could cover the women without a new sport, but 65 new scholarships had to be an increase of around $6M. I guess TV and bowl money cover that, along with student fees?

Heck, bring on Tarleton and UTEP! Let’s fill the stadium up!
  • Riveraggie
    Was there a public debate over the 105 scholarship change? Who votes?
    This seems detrimental to the bulk of the teams, and anti-competitive. Don’t be surprised if the result is the bigger programs devote those 20 scholarships to raiding players from weaker conferences and FCS. The top schools will get to continue to snag most the 3 star and higher recruits and they’ll now have room to gather the ones they missed coming out of high school.
  • eastbayaggie
    I'm reading that Hawaii is in discussions to be in the Mountain West for all sports.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here is the link to the official website for Sac's drive to get into the PAC12. There are a lot of additional links to various media reports regarding current happenings for the PAC12, MWC and Sac on the website also.

https://sac12.org
  • SochorField
    I just read the UC Davis Athletics email: "A Historic September & What's Next For Aggie Sports"

Basically.....AD says "Moving up is complicated and expensive. Please buy season tickets and donate."

No plan. No announcement. Yet.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here is the main message in the email from Aggie AD Rocko DeLuca:

Over the past few weeks, there has been significant media coverage regarding conference realignment, particularly regarding the Mountain West Conference and the Pac-12 Conference. I’ve also heard from many of you about the possibility of UC Davis making a move to FBS football. While the possibility may be exciting, such a significant and expensive transition decision cannot be driven by public campaigns or stadium expansions, as there are many reasons and factors that play a role in such a transition.

The best path forward to ensure the future of UC Davis Athletics is through increased fan and donor support. Many of our conference rivals have some of the largest FCS season ticket bases in the country. Across the causeway, they've raised $35M to support their student-athletes’ name, image, and likeness (NIL) opportunities. We have the coaches and campus leadership in place to meet any opportunity presented to us in the ever-changing landscape of college athletics
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!