• Idaho Aggie
    I was sorry not to make it back for this game, would have been fun to be there. One of my Aggie rugby buddies and his wife are flying out to Missoula for the Grizzlie game. My wife and I will drive over, though she is skipping the game. Should be fun.
  • Zander
    Gotta be UCD’s best FCS win ever on paper, right?
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    probably easier to take a risk when up 8 but you're probably right about win probability.
  • AggieFinn
    Davis has had Idaho's number, but this year felt way different -- Idaho is strong and came in and absolutely punched Davis in the mouth, twice. What was the difference -- it was Coombs, making adjustments and getting stops to put a dressing over the bleeding and give the Aggies a chance to get back in it.

Idaho is absolutely snakebitten at QB, they have such a solid set of players.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    How was the attendance? It was pretty quiet. Did the students leave after the 14-0 start?
  • MTBAggie
    Just win baby!
  • Toke69
    Will this win put us in the top 10?
  • MTBAggie
    It better. Over on AGS, "Idaho loses by 2." No, Davis WINS by 2!
  • Zander
    I thought it started trickling down at halftime, but I estimate a first quarter crowd size that would at least be announced as above capacity based on previous games
  • MTBAggie
    Sac loses, Davis wins. I have to say, today was a good day.
  • SochorField
    that boy was SCOOTIN’ tonight :D
  • agalum
    Not long ago we were losing the close games. We’re getting them this year. Exciting game. Vandal fans were louder than the Aggie Pack. That needs to change.
  • movielover
    Rex Connors 12 tackles.
    MH 3 TDs, 25 / 32, 174 QB Rating.
    8 players make a catch, led by TT w 7 catches.
    Solid use of TEs tonight.
    Ags 14 Q3 points key.
    C.J. Hutton returned the opening kickoff of the second half 72 yards
    Idaho outgains Ags 459 - 312
    Idaho wins the rushing game 185-26 yards
    LL - 2.6 ypc.
    Ags 26 net rushing yards, abysmal .8 ypc.
    Idaho 3 TOs big, several unforced.
    Attendance: 8921
    MH mobile in the pocket tonight.
    Did Plough save tempo for Idaho?

GREAT WIN.

Go Ags.
  • AggieFinn
    Sadly, it won't alum.

Did Plough save tempo for Idaho?
    Yes, I think Plough saved tempo for Idaho, figured he'd have something saved for this huge Big Sky opener...something he no doubt learned from Biggs and Sochor.

Wonder how Tubs is going to talk about this one... "I feel like if Idaho plays this game 5 times, they win 4."
    https://www.youtube.com/live/dGYAnS3xkyg?si=Ra6Qn8C42m_pFWZx
  • movielover
    Sacramento Bee: UC Davis Aggies stun Idaho for football program’s first Top 5 victory. ‘This is really cool’ "

"After decades of devouring teams at Division II, UCD was elevated to NCAA Division I-AA status in 2004, later changed to FCS. There have been competitive contests against Top 5 teams in recent years but not until here did the Aggies secure a victory years in the making...."

"...Of the no-huddle offense, Plough said: “We can’t block that D-line (of Idaho), and not sure anyone can. Maybe the best thing is to go fast and make them tired, keep them off balance.” "

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/college/article293189154.html
  • CA Forever
    Things that went well:
    - Credit where credit is due, Miles Hastings had a truly tremendous game. Completed 25/32 (78.13%) for 248 yards and 3 TDs with NO INTERCEPTIONS against a very good defense. The only thing I really didn't like was that he stared down a sack or 2, but that's not the story of the day. Miles absolutely killed it and had complete command of the offense.
    - Red zone offense was impactful. Not having to settle for field goals every single drive was nice!
    - Defense is continuing to force turnovers. Most of the picks were just bad throws from the Idaho QBs and not necessarily hyper athletic plays from our DBs, but turnovers are turnovers.
    - A WIN OVER THE #4 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY!

Things that need to be improved:
    - Pass defense needs some work. Now this could be multi-factorial in the fact that we weren't getting a ton of pressure on their QBs especially in the 1st half, but the biggest thing was our DBs were just playing like 10+ yards off the receiver. Just too many easy easy completions for the Vandals.
    - Offensive line is still not doing the work to get the run game going. Lan Larison is amazing, but this line just isn't giving him the opportunities which has been a running theme throughout the season.
    - Play calling and coaching directly handed Idaho a lifeline to get back into the game in the 4th quarter. This game was over... OVER... if you knock in a FG and go up 14 and instead we had to nail bite through a 2 point conversion and an onside kick attempt. I'm willing to give Plough some leeway as a first time HC, but that play calling in the 4th quarter was unacceptable.
    - Containing QBs that can run continues to be somewhat of a problem for us. Now I know we weren't really preparing for Josifek to be playing, but his legs got the Vandals several 1st downs keeping them alive.
    - Averaged 35.4 yards per punt... woof

GO AGS!
  • DrMike
    The coach who got the unsportsmanlike for running into the end zone on the 2pointer - don’t ever do that!

I’m a weird way, not faking that FG might have saved us. We could have been up 14; they’d have to go for TD instead of FG, and at that point I wouldn’t have bet against it. Then a PAT ties and we’re in OT. And I’m not liking our odds there
  • Riveraggie
    I believe that was the first win by Plough as a Davis offensive coordinator or head coach over a ranked opponent.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    What was the attendance?
  • BlueGoldAg
    The attendance was a big disappointment. Seriously...nearly 6,000 less than last week in a game against the #4 team in the country...WTF!

I swear, most of our fans who do attend our games just don't know how to be great, supportive fans either. This game was a nail biter and the majority of them sit there quietly for 98% of the game and many leave early even when the game is on the line. It's disheartening to see the players turning around and waving their towels and imploring the fans to stand up and get loud on critical third and 4th down plays. The 100 or so Idaho fans were actually louder than the Aggie Pack except when pizzas or something was being given away. Whenever I jump up and cheer I can almost feel the eyeballs on my back from the fans around me who just want me to sit down, be quiet and not block their view.

Over 13,000 Aggie fans packed into The Toom for the game against #1 Nevada back in 1977 and the place was electric. I've never seen a game atmosphere anywhere close to that in our new stadium even though the population of the community and the university have increased immensely and we're playing at a high talent level in a higher division in a great facility in the toughest football conference in the FCS.

I know there's been a lot of scuttlebutt and excitement here lately about the remote possibility of us moving to the FBS level at some point but the low attendance in a game like this makes me wonder if Davis community and the students would ever come together and participate in a great collegiate, game day atmosphere. The students as a whole simply don't seem to care much about athletics and the community at large seems to be more comfortable at the Mondavi Center listening to a lecture or a chamber orchestra. Going to a football game and really getting behind the team vocally is just too boorish for many of them and most of those who do come to the games are too inhibited to actually loosen up a bit, get on their feet, cheer and have a fun.
  • Zander
    Believe so. Though his SJSU win and Montana win in 2018 were comparable accomplishments IMO.

Maybe someone said this and I missed it, but I wonder if the controversial 4th down call was intended to just try to get Idaho to burn a timeout or jump? But then it backfired in that Plough also didn’t want to burn one and his signal caller in that formation wasn’t used to managing the game like that
  • Zander
    https://x.com/jakemaier15/status/1840262649474625546

The Mayor of Shredville took note of Miles’ performance
  • Riveraggie

It is odd that in the first years of Davis’ transition to FCS they beat ranked FCS teams all the time,
    Yet they never accomplished that in the Maier years,
    In recent years they’ve beat ranked Idaho teams 3 times, and a ranked Sac State team, just from memory.
    Beating a ranked FCS team is different situation from beating a 1-11 San Jose State team, because it means something to both teams, whereas the FBS vs FCS games have the feeling of exhibitions, and Davis has snuck up on some FBS teams because they don’t have their act together first game of the season.
  • SochorField
    "Idaho should gave won this game guys" :D

I'd say the main reason why Davis won was they outscored the Vandals 28-12 over the last 45 minutes of the game. :D
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!