• Russ Bowlus
    Irvine guard transferring to UCD:

Didn't play last year, looks like, but here's her blurb from Irvine's website after her freshman year (20-21):
    • Played in all 24 games, averaging 5.0 points, 2.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists
    • Finished with 12 points, while dishing out a season-best six dimes in a Big West quarterfinal win over UC Santa Barbara
    • Also had 11 points and five rebounds in the semifinals vs. Cal Poly
    • Registered a season-high 17 points (6-10 FG) at San Diego State on Dec. 19
    • Matched that point total on 6-of-9 shooting at UC San Diego (Feb. 26)
    • Went 4-for-4 from beyond the arc against the Tritons
    • Swiped a career-high five steals vs. Cal State Fullerton on Feb. 20
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Sweet. She’ll have plenty of opportunity to see the court.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Seems like it! Davis needs to be deeper at PG for sure. Will be interesting to see how quickly she picks up the offense.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I was very surprised how at how much last year's team struggled as a veteran team. Turnovers seemed to knock the wheels off the cart early in the season and then continued to be a problem. They would play great one game and then fall apart the next. I'm sure it was disappointing for everyone. So now, with Hall, Stobbart and Konrad gone, I'm not sure what to expect this year.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Missed this one from a couple weeks ago: grad transfer from Harvard (!?).

• Russ Bowlus
    Averaged just over 8pts/gm and 4rb/gm as a starter for Harvard last year.

Might have two years of eligibility left, since the Ivy League didn't play at all in 20-21 and everyone got one extra year?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    going to be a interesting watching a lot of new pieces fit together
  • Russ Bowlus
    Irvine just lost another guard to U$C. Interesting.
  • 69aggie
    Wow! New student thing: the cow is best new mascot for uc davis. And it is getting the votes. Don’t really know what to say. . .
  • eastbayaggie

We voted for the cow back in the early nineties. I never understood why they never formalized it back then.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Wow, interesting news on the coaching front:

• Oldbanduhalum
    wow good news for Des. She’ll do a fantastic job. First change in the coaching ranks in a long long time.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Yep, great pickup for Sonoma. I wonder if that's why Ms. Nagel had been hanging around recently... :chin:
  • BlueGoldAg
    Good for Des. She's certainly deserving of being a HC.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Or Morgan...? She'd bring the kind of coaching for the post players that Des has been doing for so many years.
  • abridge
    I'm really happy to see Des moving into a head coaching job. She's had really positive coaching models. Might have to hit a Sonoma game or two if possible! And it's a good sign for the program to have our staff moving out onto their own. I hope Jen is proud. The idea of Morgan coming back as a coach is a wonderful thought. Not sure if it makes sense for her at this point but I'd love to see it happen.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Some info on the three transfers: HERE
  • Russ Bowlus
    Sabel is intriguing!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Agreed. She has a ton of international and Big10 experience. We need wing/guard scoring and she seems to bring that.
  • BlueGoldAg
    These 3 players look like they will be welcome additions to the Aggies after last year's disappointing season. I think Jen knew they were going to need some additional experienced help this year. We lost a lot of experience and talent with Hall, Stobbart and Konrad all graduating and it didn't appear that we had the bench depth to step in a fill the void. It will be interesting to see how this team comes together with the addition of these new players.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I think it's a little interesting that the transfers are all wing/guard players (all under 6'0). We lost one of our top center's in program history in Stobbart, and we didn't bring in any clear replacement. I know Svanholm is back, and I like what she did at times coming off the bench, but I'm not sure she is the clear answer in the middle. Kennedy has the size, but looked slow in very limited time last year. Harris will get more minutes, of course, but she seemed to be more of a bigger wing player (maybe that changes this year). I am curious about Megan Norris, who red-shirted last year. At 6'3" she's got the size, and after watching some HS clips, looks like she can move pretty well and has a nice jumper. She picked up basketball late so maybe there is a lot of development left in her game.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Svanholm's back? I thought she had used up her eligibility, even with the COVID year.
  • Russ Bowlus
    I think the key, always, for Davis is to recruit players that can make good decisions and don't have to think about where the ball is going. I felt like the Aggie offense got very...mushy...last year, and too many players were having to diagram out the play in their head before passing the ball.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Harris might take over Konrad's "high motor" spot. Pretty ok at everything and never stops moving.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    The article about the transfers mentions that Sabel will be one of three European players to suit up for the Aggies next season, joining Megan Jones and Lena Svahholm.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Ha, didn't catch that. Neat!

Well, that's good; Svanholm definitely got a lot more game experience than the rest of the remaining bigs.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Interesting...certainly not at the level of OOC competition as last year, when we visited both UO and Stanford. I'm assuming that we stepped up a level last year due to experienced squad we had, whereas this year has a lot of unknowns. A lot of games close to home, what with the tourney in Stockton.
  • AggieFinn2
    There are too many Bethel Colleges..this one I think is from Kansas. I found the wrong one first (MiN)..kept looking for UCD. Nope But Saint Olaf College twice.

For the longest time I thought St. Olaf was a made up town from the Golden Girls where Betty White's character was from
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!