• Oldbanduhalum

I'm assuming, since both our games were cancelled, that it's our program with the outbreak.
  • movielover
    And they're all vaxxed & boosted.
  • Toke69
    What does these additional cancellations mean for a possible Big West Tournament slot and for the (however unlikely) NCAA bid?
  • BlueGoldAg
    UCI released a statement saying the cancellations are due to covid protocols within the Aggie program and, someone over on the Big West Boards Forum posted that the Ags will not meet the 25 game minimum to qualify for the NCAA Tournament or the NIT now.
  • DrMike
    Really sad. Finely get a few games in a row, playing better and BOOM another week off
  • BlueGoldAg
    The team must be gutted.
  • DrMike
    does the 25 have to be regular games? We’ll have (fingers crossed) 23 plus whatever the BWC tournament brings.

I thought we suited up 8 guys v CSUN; would have to think some of the starters are part of this wave
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm not sure what can be counted towards the 25 but the person who posted on the BW Boards said we could not qualify now.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    It really feels like a lost season
  • BlueGoldAg
    It really does feel like a lost season. We have season tickets and have only attended 5 games so far due to cancellations, no fan games and our own covid caution. So much for being season ticket holders this year. Two lost seasons in a row now...
  • agalum
    Beyond the bummer from the fans perspective, the student athletes must be devastated. If games are cancelled, i would assume practice is as well?
  • movielover

Will we cancel games next year, too, if this becomes effectively the new yearly flu?
  • DrMike
    i think they practice with as many 'healthy' players as possible. that's what we were doing before, often practicing with 7-8 guys.

as for your 'must be devastated'........i get worried that someone gets worn down by the restrictions/cancellations and decides to test the transfer waters. i wonder if the players who tested positive were asymptomatic but caught by regular testing?
  • Jackbacker
    Movie lover, One can hope next year co-vid becomes a version of the flu. However, our country has been hurt bad. According to the CDC, in 2019-2020 the USA’s life expectancy declined by 1.5 years. A way to look at this is with our population we lost 500,000,000 years of life. That is a lot of birthdays, holidays, and joyous events. I do hope that next year is better.
  • cmt
    No need speculating what next year is going to be right now when we don't even know where we're going to be in 2 months. For example, the rolling 7 day average for new cases yesterday was 215K in the US. On December 9, the rolling 7 day average for new cases was 122K. So Omicron completely blew up and is just as quickly going away in the US in the span of 2 months. We can only hope that not only do the variants continue to be less and less serious, but that they start becoming less transmissible as well.

If Covid is essentially the flu by next season (which, as it currently stands, Covid is still way worse than the flu) then I imagine we'll treat it as such.
  • 69aggie
    This is a smart virus. It realized that with delta it was going to kill itself off if it did not mutate. Which it then did with omicron. This could well continue until it is like the flu. So I think cmt is absolutely correct on this. The problem I see is that a highly transmissible flu will still keep guys from playing. So maybe we just keep up with the vaccine development and wait this thing out. So next season? Who can possibly know?
  • movielover
    Isn't this standard? Viruses mutate and weaken. Omicron may give us immunity to all strains? Young people naturally have strong immunity.
  • DrMike
    And now this weeks poly game on Thursday is cancelled
  • abridge
    It doesn't have to go that way however - the virus could have mutated into something more lethal and still very transmitted. Less likely but still a real possibility. If SARS had been as transmissible as COVID we'd be totally screwed right now.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ugh...if feels like this season is being systematically eliminated game by game...
  • DrMike
    I believe we’ve had 8 cancelled?
  • agalum
    With these cancellations and football over, I’m running out of excuses procrastinating on my honey-do’s.
  • Toke69
    Does anyone know why our games are getting cancelled more than any other Big West schools?
  • DrMike
    bad luck? I think, but not sure, that only last 3 were called by us. The others were bad timing of us hitting teams in the schedule when they had cases. Again, I’m not positive that the others before these last 3 weren’t due to us
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm pretty sure you are right about the cancellations, Mike. The last 3 are due to Covid protocol with the Aggies and the others were other teams cancelling because of Covid. So Covid and bad luck are doing us in as far as getting to play.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Hope we can actually play on Saturday. I assume we'll hear soon if it's cancelled as they need to give Bakersfield enough notice.
  • DrMike
    the other part of ‘bad luck’ is missing shine game vs last place Poly, and playing them short handed after a long layoff.
  • Russ Bowlus
    WBB got the short end of that stick, too, missing games against SLO (2-7) and Bako (1-7).
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Since we’ve gone a while without a men’s game, figured I’d pass along something I found interesting. Mike had wondered earlier if we lose any payers to the portal, partly because of the extra year players are getting, the ease of the transfer portal, and from all the games that the Ags have had canceled compared to other programs. Manjon is the first named that jumps out, but this article (from a wsu fan site) speculates about Pepper. Makes sense from a location stand point, but it seems like he’d go from a possible first team all conference, to just another piece on an mid pac-12 team (at best). Anyways just interesting speculation and info on how others view Pepper.

Mid-Major Guards
  • agalum
    Well, right now it looks like Saturdays game against Bakersfield is a go. Hopefully we will have enough of the guys suited up to allow for some reserves. Is there a minimum number we have to suit up?
  • DrMike
    this is kind of a sleazy article, putting names out there who haven’t joined the portal. I’m sure ‘recruiting’ like this is going on all over the place, but it just seems wrong
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!