• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies (5-2) take on perhaps their toughest opponent of the young season when they tip off at 3 pm Saturday against the Oakland Grizzlies (5-1) from Rochester, Michigan.

The Grizzlies are a big, strong, athletic team led by Jr. 6'6 guard Martez Walker who averages 22 ppg. On paper they are a solid team all around. They average 85 ppg vs their opponents 69 and win the rebound battle by an average of 6 boards per game. Equally impressive is their defense that averages 8 steals and 6 blocks per game.

The Ags will need to protect the ball better and limit the second chance points by competing well on the boards. If we do that and play hard on defense we could return home from Alaska 2-1.

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Martez Walker banked in a 35 foot 3 ball at the buzzer that gave Oakland the lead 37-34 at the break in an evenly matched half of play. The difference so far, as it was against Weber State, is the hot shooting by the Grizzlies from downtown - 7/13 for 54%. The Ags are battling well against the athletic Grizzlies and won the boards 15-10. Too many poor passes again for the Ags who have already have 8 TO's.

Chima Moneke is leading the Aggies with 12 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks. Schneider has 8 and Henn 7.

We can win this game if we continue to play well and cut down the TO's.

Go Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Sounds like the team got tired down the stretch. Need to learn from this tournament
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies fall to the Grizzlies 79-66 and will head home from Alaska with a 5-3 record overall. The difference in this game was our inability to slow Oakland's 3 point shooting 10 of 24 for 42% combined with our poor 3 point shooting 4 of 18 for 22%. We won the the battle of the boards 37-36 but were outscored at the FT line 19-12. Chima Moneke had a monster game scoring 21 and pulling down 12 boards. Mikey Henn had 11 and Siler Schneider 10.

The game was closer than the final score as the Ags. This was the 4th game for the Ags in 6 days and they have nothing to hand their heads for as they played well today against a talented team.

The Aggies are off now until next Saturday when they travel to Moscow, Idaho, to tangle with the always tough Vandals.
  • BlueGoldAg
    4th game in 6 days, OBUA, plus lots of travel. With 12 of the first 15 games on the road the Ags will travel over 24,000 miles before league starts. We should certainly be travel hardened by then!
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Not going to give them the excuse of being tired. They'll need to do the same and win all 3 if they want to go dancing one of these years.
  • movielover
    I don't buy the 'tired' part at this age, maturity maybe, youth ... but still a strong start to the season... and I believe our current schedule is tougher than when we had the cake schedule 2 years back.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    That schedule was embarrassing.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Comments from Coach Les:

"Oakland is a good basketball team that is going to win 20 to 25 games, win their league and earn a spot in the NCAA Tournament. I told my team that we went toe-to-toe with them; we have some things that we need to clean up, but I like where this team is as long as we stay healthy and continue to work," said UC Davis head coach Jim Les.

"I told the team that I was pleased overall with their effort, and I'm encouraged, not discouraged, by this tournament and where they are thus far." Added Les, "This team has a huge ceiling, I love everyone's competitive nature."

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/112616aaa.html
  • BlueGoldAg
    Chima Moneke was named to the All Tournament Team.

Congrats to Chima!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!