• agalum
    Well, at least the ladies can play, tonight, 7 pm, UCI, espn+
  • DrMike
    might be time to revisit the old Vitalis one on one tournament of the early 70s

https://youtu.be/Zk9WhHFhLus
  • DrMike
    I wonder how this surge is effecting football recruiting? Might be harder to get face to face meetings with players
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Big West Conference is apparently going to try and reschedule the cancelled games.

In an abrupt change of policy, Big West Conference officials announced that men’s and women’s basketball games that have been canceled will now potentially be made up if possible.

Previously, the policy was that COVID-canceled games would not be made up.

However, since cancellations have become the norm rather than the exception, there was a fear that some teams might play very few games this season if previously canceled contests were not rescheduled.

According to UC Davis Director of Athletics Rocko DeLuca, “Priority will be our missed games and will need to be played when openings become available.”

Furthermore, the Big West is awaiting guidance from the NCAA, which controls postseason eligibility.

Noted DeLuca, “We will likely discuss this again once the NCAA determines if there will be a reduced number of countable games for postseason eligibility. The NCAA basketball committees will discuss that specifically in a few weeks when they meet around the NCAA convention.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/college-basketball-big-west-conference-plans-to-make-up-canceled-games/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=3baa37eb6d-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-3baa37eb6d-171004309
  • Toke69
    The speed that the omicron variant runs through the population makes it hard to know the long term effects of the illness. Even with the alpha and delta variants, I am surprised at the lack of any news about any athletes who suffer from the long haul effects of the infection. I hope that none of these athletes who have the virus are going to see their playing days end, but it does not sound like some programs are being very careful if, as in the case of UCI, all but one player tests positive.
  • Russ Bowlus
    This is the key bit: "We will likely discuss this again once the NCAA determines if there will be a reduced number of countable games for postseason eligibility."

Lots of schools concerned about meeting a minimum # of games, including some of the top WBB names like UConn. I hope the NCAA drops the minimum # of games again this year. Forcing teams to take chances with their student-athletes' health is a bad look.*

*(then again, since when has the NCAA cared about bad looks? :p)
  • DrMike
    With remote learning extended until Jan 28, I wonder if this month will be fanless?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I would guess that we won't have fans until the spike in infections really goes down.
  • DrMike
    They cited remote learning as the reason for no fans this week; seems like it’s likely that will continue. I’ll have a bunch of credits by the end of the month
  • movielover
    The truth is now coming out since the courts demanded the FDA release Pfizer's clinic data. 75% of individuals had at least 4 comorbidities.

https://twitter.com/catturd2/status/1480560134850072586?s=20
  • DrMike
    According to ticket office, they expect to have fans starting with womens game this week
  • 72Aggie
    This story, (from a FoxNews outlet,) reports that CDC has clarified that story to say that the recent study shows that 75% of the deaths of people who were vaccinated suffered from at least four comorbidities. https://www.foxnews.com/media/cdc-director-remarks-comorbities

That's something different than saying 75% of all people whose death is attributed to COVID suffered from at least four comorbidities.
  • movielover
    Pfizer CEO admitted today that none of the vaccines have any value in stopping people from contracting the infection. Today CEO Albert Bourla stated the following:

"We know the two-dose vaccine offers very limited protection, if any. The three doses with a booster, offers reasonable protection against hospitalization and death.”
  • Oldbanduhalum
    And WBB team too:

• abridge
    I see from an e-mail (and conversation with the ticket folks) that fans willl be allowed to attend the Saturday women's game should they actually occur. However, court-side seating and seating within the first three rows closest to the court will not be allowed. Those seats will be moved. Also, no eating or drinking inside the facility - masks must remain on at all times.

Hopefully there might be a game. Bakersfield seems to be going through a rough patch with the COVID thing. This omicron variant really does seem to be nearly as bad as measles in terms of how easily it spreads. Fortunately the vaccinated seem to handle it pretty well unless you have, what do you call it, co-morbidities?

Anyway - stay healthy out there.
  • movielover
    And the recently announced no lectures on campus for 3 weeks... has already been changed...
  • MTBAggie
    WBB vs. Cal Poly canceled.
  • 72Aggie
    A follow up on Bourla's statement:

"Social media posts and online articles claim Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said two Covid-19 shots offer "very limited" protection against the disease. This is misleading; Bourla's full remarks in a recent interview make clear he was speaking about the efficacy of two doses against the Omicron variant, not Covid-19 in general."
    https://factcheck.afp.com/http%253A%252F%252Fdoc.afp.com%252F9W78Z2-1
  • movielover
    So students can't go to class, but now can go to basketball games on campus?

https://www.facebook.com/121667286519/posts/10159980052196520/?substory_index=0&sfnsn=mo
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Another week another cancellation

• Russ Bowlus
    A quick glance at the women's conference standings makes me think that only Long Beach, Irvine and UCSD will have played 25 games by the end of the season? This does not include the conference tourney, but also assumes that they play all the rest of the games in their schedule. UCSB, for example, will only have 24 games by the end of the conference season.

Big West could be a zero bid conference if the NCAA doesn't lower the minimum game requirement. Heh.

edit: clarified which standings I was looking at.
  • Toke69
    On the schedule I have, the UCR game was originally to be played on Dec. 28 at Davis and Feb. 1 at Riverside? The game tomorrow is CSUN, no? It's to be broadcast on ESPN+
  • Russ Bowlus
    Whoops, I was looking at the women's schedules--I'll edit to clarify!
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!