• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies wrap up the non-conference portion of their schedule tomorrow at 2 pm when the Portland Pilots come to town. The Ags are currently playing their best basketball of the season and a win would send them into conference play with a very nice 7-3 record. The Pilots are a good basketball team with a lot of size. They have 6 players 6'8 and taller on their roster including 6'10 and 7'0.

Series Record vs. Portland
    Portland leads 1-5
    Last Portland win: 11/23/19, H - W, 63-79
    Last UC Davis win: 11/15/15, H - W, 79-66
    Series Streak: Portland +1

The game will aired live on ESPN+ at 2 pm.

Go Ags!
  • agalum
    I’m wondering if we’re going to get more gathering restrictions from the governor's office tomorrow as a result of omicron. There’s supposed to be new guidelines announced tomorrow.
  • DrMike
    I can’t imagine it being more restrictive than currently. Vaccine or test, masks inside.
  • agalum

Hopefully not. I know i feel safe at those events since i know others are vaccinated or test negative. All i know is the local news said new restrictions were going to be released tomorrow.
  • DrMike
    Paper shows us as a 9 1/2 favorite. I guess Vegas is putting importance into my plan to attend today with my 4-0 viewing record!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Well I'm going to "sneak" out of work a little early and make it to the game with the kids. With my 2-0 record combined with your 4-0, the Ags are unbeatable (knock on wood).
  • BlueGoldAg
    Unfortunately, we'll be watching the game from home today. Too many house chores to complete before our social schedule gets very busy starting tomorrow.

I hope the Ags continue to play as well as they have here recently and bag another W. Cheer us on guys!
  • Toke69
    ESPN's power index gives UC Davis a 67.4% chance of beating Portland. I dunno, the Pilots have balanced scoring as well as height. four of their starters are averaging in double figures.
  • agalum
    Doesnt appear to be a cake walk for the Ags. Audio is lousy, at least for me.
  • Toke69
    Moses Wood of Portland has 16 points in one half. He's 7 of 8 from the floor with 2 3s. Needless to point out that he's keeping his team in the game. Regression to the mean suggests that he will cool off in second half.
  • DrMike
    They have alot of size and seem hell bent on pounding it inside. Need some scoring besides Manjon; Pepper is an 0ffer in the first half
  • agalum

Just typing essentially the same comment. If he doesn't cool off we are in trouble.
  • Toke69
    Looks like the Ag's strategy is to deny Wood the ball. Anigwe is playing hims very close. I counted that he only got one touch in the first 4 minutes of the second half.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Manjon and Fuller are keeping the Ags in the game. Pepper can't find his shot though...
  • agalum
    Yeah, Pepper 0/3 on the 3, 2/12 FG
  • Toke69
    They needed to shut down Wood and did. Ironically, Wood's only points in the second half sealed the game. Trouble was not only Pepper's cold shooting, but the hot shooting of Robertson and Meadows for Portland. Pilots hit 52.4% from 3. Just one of those days.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags lose 66-60.

We played pretty good basketball for 25 minutes and then rather poorly for the final 15 minutes. Manjon and Fuller couldn't carry the Ags for the whole game with Pepper cold as ice and not much help offensively from anyone else.
  • movielover
    Manjon leads w 8 rebounds.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    This will be our issue all conference play...we seem to go cold, especially from deep, and if we can't get to the line, our offense starts to desert us. Played hard but just couldn't hit the shots needed.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Each year we tend to be a team that plays stout defense but struggles often with inconsistent offense. Just about all teams have hot and cold stretches in games but, generally, it doesn't continue for long stretches time. We went cold after the first few minutes of the second half today and many of our shots were missed badly...barely drawing iron and way off target. It was surprising given how well we had been playing on offense coming into this game. Let's hope it doesn't happen too often in conference.
  • DrMike
    After the 11-0 spurt to start the second half, the offense was very stagnant. There were only a handful of open looks, and those didn’t go down. Pepper was off all night. Portland had some weapons, snd they hit shots down the stretch. Disappointing
  • movielover
    Opponents will key on Pepper and Manjon.
  • DrMike
    pepper had a number of open shots early that didn’t go down; seemed to press after that. We didn’t get anything off the bench
  • BlueGoldAg
    Post-game comments from Les:

“I didn’t think we came out with the right mindset,” said Aggie head coach Jim Les. “I’m disappointed in our effort. We took some bad shots and just didn’t defend well when we needed to.”

Regarding Moses Wood the 6'8 forward who has played at Reno and Tulane:

“We knew he was a great shooter, but defensively we let him get open looks and didn’t have an answer for him,” Les added.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/basketball-chilling-loss-for-ucd-mens-basketball-team/
  • BlueGoldAg
    We didn’t get anything off the benchDrMike

Milling is averaging 6.5 ppg but after him there isn't much scoring at all. We are getting some good defensive efforts from the bench when they're in to give the starters a blow but not anything significant on offense. Of course, Ade doesn't score much either so we really rely primarily on Pepper, Manjon, Fuller and Anigwe and, when a couple of them go cold, we don't have much scoring punch.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Not sure if Ba would have changed the outcome, but he’s the one that can come off the bench and hit a three. He was still in a walking boot but hopefully he can come back at some point
  • DrMike
    Anigwe hasn’t been involved in the offense much as of late. Yesterday we ran a few set plays with Fuller on the block, but none that I recall with Anigwe.
  • 69aggie
    Just shows the problems with a guard heavy offense. Great when hot. Terrible when cold and then there’s no fallback to go to. And when morale drops, there goes the defense. . . .
  • abridge
    Just a BIT late but...here's a photo sequence of Manjon driving the lane for a totally amazing bucket. I don't know how he did it. You can run through the sequence using the non-very-obvious arrows to the right and left of the photo's pane.

Manjon Drives the Lane against Portland
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!