• movielover
    I believe he only played QB 1 year, and was the scout QB the year before. His Father played at PSU and recently battled cancer. Sounds mature and a team player.

More good news for the Aggies. I also like that our DC is tight with SoCal JCs.
  • CA Forever
    Yes he only has played 1 year of QB and he played WR before that. He had a damn impressive season for it being his first year at QB: 2787 passing yards with 60% completions, 24 touchdowns, and 6 interceptions. On top of that he rushed for 808 yards and 12 touchdowns.
  • movielover
    DPOTY Cam Trimble also made his official visit...the train is rolling!!!

Blue / Gold Game on Picnic Day?!!!
  • CA Forever
    K/P Daniel Whelan is taking an official visit to Davis this weekend. On 37 punts he averaged 43.8 yards with a long of 68. Of his 37 punts, 22 landed inside the 20. On 86 kickoffs he averaged 62.3 yards with a long of 75 yards. Of his 86 kickoffs, 77 were touch backs. He has kicked a 52 yard field goal according to maxpreps. I don't know if we are looking at him just for punting or for kicking responsibilities too.

Chris Sailer Kicking has him ranked as the 6th best punter in the class of 2017.
  • CA Forever
    I'll be out of town this weekend with only limited Internet access. So it's up to you guys to find info on recruits visiting this weekend. Hopefully we are putting the finishing touches on this class! GO AGS!
  • BlueGoldAg
    But...we don't have your sources, CAF. You da MAN! (Y)
  • movielover
    Enjoy yourself ... lots of snow out there!!

Coach Gould and his staff started things out strong, and now Coach Hawk, Coach Speckman, Plough & Tucker are bringing it home... and don't forget Coach Paul Creighton & Co.

Go Ags!

FYI, Bob Dunning says he can't recall this much enthusiasm in January for Aggie football... and he has been a fan for at least six decades!

Bob Dunning: All Aggies looking forward to 2017

http://www.davisenterprise.com/local-news/dunning/bob-dunning-all-aggies-looking-forward-to-2017/
  • aggie6thman
    Jake Maier has committed to UCD!
  • movielover
    QB competition... And Hawk has started a freshman before.
  • movielover
    Looks like we offered kicker Daniel Whelan, who has nailed a 72 yard FG in practice. His first offer.

He had goals of going to Stanford. Huge leg?, Rancho Mirage Rattlers HS. K / P. FG accuracy at .60 percent may need refinement. Irish lad. Booms kickoffs, 6'5" 200#s. Averaged 41.4 yards per punt.
  • movielover
    Looks like we will have depth at QB. He threw for almost 3700 yards and 38 TDs at LBCC. He may be who the coaches are calling a "DifferenceMaker" on Twitter.
  • aggie6thman
    I would assume so. All of the tweets from the coaching staff were at almost the same time as Maier. Haven't seen anyone else commit this weekend.
  • movielover
    They seem pumped about the last group..

Have we ever had this many JC commits?
  • CA Forever
    Just got back from the mountains. Great friends and excellent weather, but it's also awesome to come back to some great recruiting news. Sounds like we could have a real QB battle this year, no one has a distinct advantage with a new coaching staff coming in. Whelan also looks like a stud. Especially in punting he has put up crazy stats, excited about that offer. GO AGS!!

The only other confirmed visit from known offers that haven't already committed that I could find was QB Jalani Eason.

Edit: While he didn't personally announce it on twitter I believe, from a picture posted by another player visiting, that OL Micah Vanterpool was on campus this last weekend.
  • movielover
    Has Whelan committed?
  • CA Forever
    Not to the best of my knowledge, I'm just excited about the offer. Kid has a ton of potential.
  • CA Forever
    Per the Chris Sailer Kicking twitter account, Daniel Whelan has committed to UC Davis. We got ourselves a punter!

• movielover
    Great news! Sounds like he has a leg, great student, and maybe 6'6" now. Supposedly great at kickoffs...

Why was he passed up? DI-A already have full rosters, and teams only need 1 punter?
  • CA Forever
    Tough to say. I did see that our offer to Whelan was the first full division 1 football offer in Rancho Mirage High School history. It's a relatively new school, founded in 2013, so it might just not be a program on the radar quite yet. According to maxpreps, the kid averaged 43.8 yards per punt last season. That's some serious kicking. I mean you plug that number into FCS stats from this last season and he is tied for 6th in the country (2 places ahead of Wadman).

Yes he also has a big leg for kickoffs and the 70+ yard practice FG he made was awesome. His accuracy on kicking is... questionable.
  • BlueGoldAg
    He sounds like a kid with great potential that hasn't been fully realized yet and that would probably keep the big boys away especially is his accuracy is questionable. He sounds like a perfect fit for a program that has always welcomed diamonds in the rough though.
  • CA Forever
    We have put an offer out on ATH Ulonzo Gilliam Jr.

On offense he rushed for 1597 yards on 181 carries (8.8 avg) with 22 TDs. Added 363 yards receiving and 3 TDs.

On defense he racked up 103 total tackles playing CB.

All League 1st Team RB, 1st Team CB, Offensive Player of the Year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I love the way the Aggies have always searched out those athletes that fly under the radar. Those kids often play with a chip on their shoulders with something to prove.
  • CA Forever
    Yep, Gilliam looks like a talented kid. Just got done watching his tape. He is reasonably fast (not blazing speed) but he is shifty and makes nice cuts. Just read an article from the Merced Sun-Star that says he has had interest from Sac State, Cal, Fresno State, San Jose State, and San Diego State but we are his first offer. The valley always seems to get kinda over looked. Glad we are putting some attention there.
  • aggie6thman
    It's Moneyball, college football style.
    xmr5i9emsh6qobmn.gif
  • movielover
    I thought I read somewhere he was ranked 6th natjonally, hard to call that under the radar. His first year of American football he nailed multiple FG's over 50 yards.

He played rugby and tennis in Ireland, and soccer. I think like Rolf Benirschke, he routinely boots kickoffs out of the end zone.
  • CA Forever
    Whelan was ranked the 6th best punter in the nation in the Chris Sailer Kicking program, so not counting the kids that don't train with Chris Sailer in that figure. That being said, Chris Sailer is one of, if not the biggest, kicking, punting, and long snapping programs in the country. They think he has "NFL potential".
  • BlueGoldAg
    Absolutely, 6th, it's a proven formula!
  • CA Forever
    Per his twitter, Micah Vanterpool was in fact in Davis this last weekend.
  • CA Forever
    Another new offer out tonight.

LB/DE Donovan Taylor out of Warren High School. GO AGS!

and Gilliam's offer announcement.

• movielover
    Taylor also being looked at by Navy. Watched a portion of his tape, he appears to have a second gear when he gets past the first line impact. Go Ags.

Any "difference makers" at this stage?

Walk ons could be interesting.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!