• movielover
    Looking ahead a bit ... Cal Poly specifically ... has the Banda brought a solid contingent to Poly away games the past few years? Alumni?
  • CA Forever
    As far as I know the Band-uh still goes to CP. Still a shame that they don't go to all away games like they used to.
  • agalum
    As far as I know the Band-uh still goes to CP. Still a shame that they don't go to all away games like they used to.CA Forever

Indeed a shame they don't make all the games. I know in years past banduh members would pay their own way, drive all night, whatever it took to make the games. In an ideal world, is this something that should be budgeted for from athletics? Now that the dotted lines have changed somewhat in their directorship, When we played Hawaii, the banduh made that trip and it was totally awesome. They played on Waikiki, and the Friday evening before the game at an alumni gathering. Maybe this is something that needs to be brought up with Dr. Blue.
  • CA Forever
    As a member of the Band-uh who was on that Hawaii trip... it was awesome. We had a great time. As far as people making the trips on their own, members were basically told that there would be serious repercussions if they continued to do it.
  • agalum
    As far as people making the trips on their own, members were basically told that there would be serious repercussions if they continued to do it.CA Forever

With a statement like that it makes me wonder if it had something to do with liability? Talk about taking the fun out of going to college. Yikes.
  • movielover
    If I recall, there was a very sensitive band director who really caused problems, lawsuits, etc. I think a student who flashed him with a bra shot sent him into therapy.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    There's a whole mess of issues that the band has to deal with now that we didn't back in the day. Liability, the whole social climate, overbearing band directors, etc, all lead to a much different experience. As for going to away games, it was easier when the farthest game was Humboldt or CSUN.

But I do know that the trip to SLO is always a highlight, so I'd be shocked if they didn't go this year.
  • SochorField
    I have a sneaking suspicion Idaho State is overrated, and we win by a healthy margin. I also have a feeling we are underrated.
  • movielover
    Maybe we haven't been pushed since our FBS games?
  • agalum
    While I haven’t wanted to jinx us, I’ve had the same thought
  • DrMike
    one thing i really like about this team is that they are business-like. last year, there were a couple games where we got a little too caught up in our success (Poly); this year, they just seem to go out, get off to a big start and overcome any obstacles (penalties, quick 21-point burst vs USD) and focus on making plays. and, we're getting contributions from so many different players on both sides. key is to minimize the big plays. they like to go deep, and have had success on long runs. minimize those and make they score on long drives. NO SHORT FIELDS (kickoffs and punts)!
  • SochorField
    I agree: business-like. The kids have bought in to Hawkins' message. He has been able to convey Aggie Pride extremely well - I'm guessing he's the best ambassador since Sochor himself. He is a special coach who has an amazing ability to connect with people and command respect. We are lucky to have him. The entire program is just better - every player getting the most out of their abilities.
  • movielover
    Is my observation correct he seems to delegate in game strategy / coaching? I thought I saw Plough instructing the offense / group during a TO, and Hawk was 15 yards away.
  • NCagalum
    there must be some very lazy coaches doing the coaches poll. NC A&T is overranked and no way Weber should be were they are now. NDSU SDSU, EWU, and James Madison all deserve to be at the top. I think UCD should be ranked higher. The issue is that voters tend to work off institutional memory (sort of serial correlation) rather than look at the current year. I sure hope the selection committee is not made up of the folks doing these polls. How many slots are open after conference autobids?
  • CA Forever
    Bengals finally have a game thread up. They seem pretty confident in their offense, which after last week I can understand why. That being said, I think we are easily their toughest FCS opponent so far on their schedule so I would like to see us win by a decent margin.

https://bigskyfans.com/bengals/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7438
  • SochorField
    I think its pretty common the OC is in there coaching the offense during timeouts. Same with the DC and the defense. The coordinators are calling the plays (someone correct me if i'm wrong in Davis' case)
  • movielover
    Probably. I got the impression Sochor called his.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Although this game is being billed as a shootout I think the game will be decided by the team whose defense plays better. A few critical stops or TO's could decide this game. They're also going to come out sky high and we'll need to match their intensity in a smart, business like manner without any stupid, adrenaline penalties. If we play smart, execute the game plan and take care of the ball we can win this game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    New Aggie Pack T-shirts for the game:

ooumqyvhf34rkgss.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/BozuR2ZBrYF/
  • DrMike
    i swear i was just going to write this same thing! an interception on one of their long balls, one stop and a quick score, etc will be huge. i always feel pretty darn good when we get a 2 score lead. they have to score 3 times AND hold us.

special teams could be critical. need to be really solid with our punts (hopefully very few) and kickoffs (hopefully very many).
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here's another version of the Aggie Pack T-shirts the Athletic Department has posted:

acql0ddnhth9shyr.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/BosCLXdhrVu/
  • BlueGoldAg
    Absolutely agree about how important it will be for our punting and special teams to play well. The play of those teams often make the difference in tight games. We need to put together our best game yet and this would be a great opportunity to do just that.
  • Zander
    This is the first time I ever recall seeing the CA (block or lemon) on an Aggie Pack shirt since I started in 2012. Loving the design.
  • agalum
    Great shirt design. Ill need to find my old student ID (circa 1978) to see if theyll give me one :).
  • zythe

I wasn’t even a thought in my parents mind that year...sorry, I had too.
  • BlueGoldAg
    You young whippersnappers need to learn to respect your elders! :smirk:
  • Davisbear
    What’s your prediction on attendance?
  • agalum
    What’s your prediction on attendance?

6500 with beating hearts.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!