• BlueGoldAg
    After suffering their first two loses of the season the Aggie women trek across the country to participate in the Fordham Holiday Classic in The Bronx, New York. The Ags dropped 2 spots in the latest Women's Mid Major Poll to #7 this wek. Up first for the Aggies will be Yale. The Bulldogs are coming off a 72-68 loss to Indiana breaking a 4 game winning streak. The Aggies have played Yale twice before and lead the all-time series 2-0.

Tamara Simpson a 5'10 Jr G leads the scoring for the Bulldogs who are averaging 71 ppg as a team. 6'2 Jr F Jen Berkowitz adds 14.5 ppg and 5'8 F G Roxy Barahman follows with 13.5 ppg. On the defensive end Yale holds their opponents to 65.5 ppg. Their defense has forced teams into an eye-poping average of 23 TO's per game which includes 12 steals per game. So the Aggies will need to take care of the ball and execute their offense with precision.

All four of the teams in the tournament are good mid major teams and these two games will be good battles for the Aggies. The Ags want to bring home the title with 2 wins before going into conference play on January 4 at Irvine.

The Ags will play the winner of the Hartford (7-4) @ Fordham (7-4) game either 10 am or 12:30 pm tomorrow. Both games can be heard on KDVS 90.3 FM. Kevin Wong and Max Agress do an excellent job calling the radio broadcast for the Aggies.

Go Ags!
  • aggie6thman
    Keep the momentum going before conference play!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Aggies take a 25-18 lead after the first quarter.
  • BlueGoldAg
    38-33 Ags at the half. Very competitive ball game and Yale's pressure has bothered the Aggies and the Ags have 12 TO's. The Aggies have forced 10 TO's themselves. The team who takes care of the ball and plays better defense will win this game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    52-43 Aggies at the end of the 3rd quarter.
  • aggie6thman
    Finish strong!
  • aggie08
    Nice win. Ags had opportunities to blow this one open, but credit Yale for their late surge. Good win against a quality opponent. Back on track!
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies took care of business in game #1 of the Fordham Holiday Classic by knocking off Yale 71-61. This is a good win for the Ags playing all the way across the country in the frigid Bronx.

Yale is a good team and they apply a lot of pressure on defense and, they were true to form today by forcing the Aggies into 22 TO's. Even so, the Ags broke the press often for transition buckets and forced 17 TO's of their own.

Rachel Nagel was back in good form and scored 17 to lead the Ags followed by Cierra Hall's best offensive performance with 15 points. She also pulled down 9 rebounds and, along with Nina Bessolo, hounded the Bulldogs with pressure defense. Marly Anderson played great defense in relief of Morgan Bertsch while Morgan was limited with fouls.

The Aggies came out in the second half and played solid basketball to break open a tight game and led by as many as 18 with 3:35 left. Yale closed with a flurry of buckets in the final 3 minutes to pull within 8 but the Ags maintained their poise and put the game away.

The Ags will now play the host team, Fordham, for the title tomorrow. The Rams trounced Hartford 69-44 today. The game will be broadcast live by KDVS 90.3 FM. The game call by Greg Wong and Max Agress is outstanding and very professional. Great job by those two!
  • aggie6thman
    Good win. I know they're now 10-2, but it would interesting to see how many quarters they have won. They don't seem to start slow.
  • 69aggie
    No UC davis stats almost 3 hour after the game (inexcusable) . I only got the stats from the Yale site. By the way, if you want to see a great ICA website look at Yale’s. It is even better than Stanford’s which i thought would be the best. We are light years behind these sites. Really is embarassing for our program.
  • Goags20172
    Davis has always been behind the times when it comes to the athletics website design. We didn't even have an all- sports website until about 1999 or 2000 if memory serves. We did have some sort of rogue sites for individual sports that I miss.

The men's bball website was maintained by former assistant coach Duane Kouba, also a math professor (which explains why the URL began with math.ucdavis.edu..) The design was kind of primitive, looked like something I might've made with a free Geocities account, but it was the best source of news about Davismen's bball + it had links to every box score from the D2 national championship season. It was also the only place online to learn about new recruits. I believe Kouba maintained that website until Gary Stewart was hired, and he stopped coaching for Davis.

The baseball site was a bigger loss. It had a lot of neat black + white photos of game action + links to old game recaps + box scores. It was interesting to see how the players I was familiar with from my freshman year did when I was still in HS. I had no idea Justin Reid was the team's best pitcher. I thought it was Ryan Conners- Copeland because he seemed to pitch every game I attended. I sure would like to have access to those again. I know they still have them. Otherwise they couldn't come up with the historical facts and figures they do for articles. I sent an email to a baseball information person about 5 years ago asking if they could send some to me, that I'd make a donation to the program in exchange. Never got a response. As Stephanie on "Full House" (and now "Fuller House") would say, "How rude !"

I think the newest incarnation of the Aggie website is too busy. The articles take too long to load when I first access the site. Some simpler menus would be nice, and less junk to click on by accident.. I'm sitting there looking at a picture of some athlete doing something having no clue what the article's about because I have to wait on the scrolling menu to load..

Personally I don't care for the random tweets section, but then again I'm not on Twitter and don't care about stuff not pertaining to the games. I think Twitter is stupid, it enables people to too easily share stupid random comments and pictures with other bored people. Honestly I'm not that interested in the student- athlete's personal lives and random comments about things, which is the way I think it should be. Let the kids have their privacy. As an alumnus with no kids in school there I think my role is simple:

1. Show up for some, but not all games (because that would be creepy or sad)
    2. Spend money on apparel
    3. Support the team during the game
    4. Donate money
    5. Go home and leave us alone
    6. Repeat.

I'm not about to make any suggestions about the website to the developers though. Clearly it was built for a younger audience, not a relic like me from a bygone era.

Speaking of old stuff, anyone else remember calling the Aggie Sports Hotline for scores each evening ? That was the only way to get them before 1999 unless you waited for the Aggie to come out.
  • movielover
    I called the Aggie Hotline. Forgot about that oldie. Thanks. Coach Kouba was with us many years through the D2 championship, all of the Stewart years, and only 1-2 years with Coach Les.

I think the ICA website changed after AD Blue came onboard. I recall formatting problems. I just learned to go with whatever.

The press releases give me a migraine.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!