• MTBAggie
    Phew, close one! Moving on!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Big free throws by Harris. Not pretty, but that seems to be standard for the Ags. On to the finals!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    And what are the odds that both semifinal games in both the men and women were the same matchups, Irvine v beach and ucd v Hawaii?
  • cmt
    Yep. If we make it I assume we'll be a 15 or 16 seed anyway so style points are irrelevant here. Winning each game by 20 or by 1 gets us to the same point.
  • eastbayaggie
    If we do win, then I hope we don't play Stanford, but I expect we will. We always play Stanford.
  • DrMike
    I listened to much of the 2nd half. Turned it on when we were up 13 and…..sorry about turning it into a cliffhanger!

Greg Wong is good. The abrupt transition from him to KDVS broadcast (foreign language bossa nova music) was, uh, interesting!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Great win for the Aggies! This team has grit in spades...winning 3 games in 3 days is grueling but we need one more!

Turning the ball over on that 5 second call nearly doomed us. I couldn't believe Mazzie or Jen didn't take a time out before turning it over. Then we dodged the bullet when Wahinekapu misses both FT's and Mazzie steps up and makes both of hers.

On to the Finals!!
  • MTBAggie
    You could see Jen saying, " That was five seconds?!?" I'd be curious to rewatch it and see if it was a full 5 seconds.
  • agalum
    I thought our time management was poor in the last 5 minutes, including that 5 second violation. But the bows were pesky on D and had something to do with it. Super happy for the ladies.
  • eastbayaggie
    So who should we root for in the women's game between Long Beach and UC Irvine? We are 1-1 against both teams. I'm currently rooting for Long Beach State unless someone has a good argument. UCI is up 27-25 with 4:54 left in the second period.
  • Russ Bowlus
    This tournament feels like a nice moment for Mazzie Harris. Doing some dirty, hard work in all the games so far:
    Fullerton: 6 reb, 6 ast, 1 stl, 1 block, 5 pts, 22 minutes (most starters didn't play more than this).
    SLO: 7 reb, 3 ast, 2 pts, 29 minutes.
    Hawaii: 4 reb, 1 stl, 3 blocks (!), 13 pts, 36 minutes.
  • 69aggie
    I’m a big Mazzie fan especially when she was mocked in her freshman year by I recall the Hawaii guys for her “awfully hard to pronounce funny name” yes she is amazing now and finally getting her appreciation by many fans.
  • eastbayaggie
    Ugh. UCD down 12-2 with 4:47 to go in the first quarter.
  • eastbayaggie
    Better. UCI 18-17 with 3:04 left in the second quarter.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Looks like we're in for another tough, physical basketball game...4th game in a row for us...hope we some gas left in the tank!
  • cmt
    I'll take it. Only down 2 at the half as the underdog is perfectly fine. Obviously we'd all prefer to be up 15 but we're in the game.
  • MTBAggie
    And UCI opens the half on a 9-0 run.
  • MTBAggie
    Make that 13-0. Ags scoreless in the 3rd quarter.
  • cmt
    1-16 from 3 in the game. Very hard to win a game when you shoot like that.
  • cmt
    Wonder if they're just running on fumes with this being their fourth game in four days.
  • Russ Bowlus
    That's what a fellow alum and I were just discussing via text. No gas left in the legs.
  • cmt
    Tough to shoot on tired legs. And if tired legs are going to show, it's going to be on 3-point shooting.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Post-game comments from Jen Gross:

"Of course, we're all full of heartache because we wanted to be the ones to cut down the nets," said Aggie coach Jen Gross. "But give Irvine credit. They really came out in the second half and took control after we had made a run in the first half. We wish them the very best in the NCAA tournament."

"It was an incredible run, but sometimes things don't work out and the ball doesn't always bounce your way, but it's really about the journey and the growth of your team and the relationships, and in that regard we were 100 percent successful this year," Gross added.

Turner was named to the all-tournament team along with teammate Tova Sabel.

Added Gross: "Aggie Pride means different things to different people, but Evanne epitomizes what it means. She would go to battle every moment of every game.

"She brings joy to everyone around her and she's one of those players that we will talk about for years to come. Tradition never graduates, and she is part of our tradition."

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggie-women-run-low-on-fuel-in-loss/article_ebc61408-e402-11ee-99f7-cb572c6eecd8.html
  • Russ Bowlus
    "Tradition never graduates, and she is part of our tradition."

:heart:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!