• Toke69
    Borra must be in the doghouse. I don't think he's hurt, but he hasn't played a single minute in the last two games.
  • DrMike
    42 points for Wright. Need Ade back in him. Held him to 2 for 6 minutes to start the half
  • Toke69
    Matadors only had 5 assists the whole game. Wright doing a lot of free lancing for his points and he had 0 assists. Good to see DeBruhl step it up on both offense and defense. He and Ade controlled Wright a little in the second half, but Ade needs to show more confidence in his offense. Odd, I find, because he was doing more on the road last week.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Other final scores in the Big West tonight:

Irvine 70 Santa Barbara 59
    Riverside 88 Long Beach 76
    Fullerton 76 San Diego 73
    Bakersfield 70 Poly 62
  • DrMike
    CSUN is really bad, beside Wright. We didn’t defend him well the first 5 minutes, but I thought we were tough on him after AND he still had 28 at half. Ade did well on him the first part of the second half and gave us a chance to take control. Got close at the end but we closed it out.

Les was really down on the D post game. Considering the lack of players, I was happy to get the win.

Not sure we can get into the top 6. Need a win over Fullerton or the Beach to have a shot
  • BlueGoldAg
    It was kind of a strange game with Wright scoring 28 of their 34 first half points. He really quick and he was on fire in the first half.

I listened to Les on the post-game, radio interview. I can understand that he wasn't thoroughly happy with how the Ags played and that he's concerned about the defensive breakdowns we've had in the past 3 games. However, considering how we've been playing without one or two starters lately, I think this team has done done really well. It sure would be nice to see us at full strength before the season is over.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Official attendance tonight was only 875.
  • ARI
    That attendance level is sad.

I have a kid that attends Davis, very little marketing done by the university to get students to the basketball games. It should not be difficult, considering the size of the student population to have thousands come to the games.

In comparison to years past, limited outreach to the balance of the Davis community.

As a former season ticket holder, I was surprised that no one from the marketing department ask me why I did not renew my seats . . .
  • agalum
    Yeah, terrible crowd. Maybe midterms? We had several guys get into foul trouble early. I thought baldy :) was calling a very tight game. Take the win. With UCI handling the gauchos, we’re going to have our hands full. It will be nice to have TY back. I wonder if the coverage on the wrestling match will affect his play?
  • DrMike
    it looked like a bigger crowd than that; sounded like less!
  • BlueGoldAg
    I agree. Football averaged 9472 last season and so it's surprising too me that most of those Aggie football fans don't go to our basketball games.

The BW is a very competitive league so we play in a lot of exciting games, our players are scholar ballers so they are a great examples of "real student-athletes," our basketball facility is pretty darn good and they always have some extra activities going on for the kids...I just don't get it. We should easily be putting 5 or 6000 in the seats and creating a very fun collegiate atmosphere which would be exciting for the players and the fans alike.
  • Russ Bowlus
    *old guy shouting at clouds*

Maybe they should move the games back to Friday and Saturday evenings?!

:rage:
  • DrMike
    They were promoting Black History month and sounded like they were reaching out to the Black frats, but I didn’t notice a real presence.

Speaking of attendance, anyone else notice Chancellor May and wife haven’t been courtside like in the past.

Les was complaining a bit (Dunning brought it up) that the second half schedule consists on several single weeknight home games without a Saturday repeat. We had a solid crowd on a Thursday (better night for students?) v Hawaii followed by a bye and week away from home. Les seemed to blame it on a combo of being only Northern team and BW accommodating Hawai’i. I do miss the older days when we had UOP as a travel partner.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Speaking of attendance, anyone else notice Chancellor May and wife haven’t been courtside like in the past.DrMike

I mentioned the very same thing to my wife at the game last night. I don't recall seeing them at any of the games this year but we've missed two games ourselves.
  • DrMike
    we don’t have any input on BW schedule. I think that’s why we lost those men/women doubleheaders. the women had a Globetrotter-type winning record in those BW doubleheaders!
  • Russ Bowlus
    They were at one of the weekend games that my wife and 9-yr-old attended. FWIW.
  • Russ Bowlus
    The justification I heard when the CCAA and BW moved away from weekend games was "we want to be on tv and not compete with the Pac10, etc." Didn't really buy that rationale then, and I certainly don't now when you can stream whatever you want whenever you want.

Weekend travel was certainly less impactful on the STUDENT-athletes.

*old guy yelling at clouds*
  • DrMike
    We now have 11 teams, 20 league games. So cramming that many and accounting for Hawai’i layovers offers some challenges. Having only one Northern team it a pain also
  • Toke69
    Does anyone know how many seats the old Men's gym had? Every game that wasn't during Winter break was a full house. My very first game I couldn't even get in, so I started going a half hour early. The enrollment was a fourth of what it is now. It was a Division 2 team. I never recalled any publicity from the University and all the FWC league games were on Friday/Saturday. I can't think of any good reason why students would not want to go the game. Well, I can think of one reason why the games were packed in my day: admission was free with a student card.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hickey Gym was always packed and I seemed to remember that it would also get pretty hot in there. Officially, it only had capacity for 900 on the bleachers but I don't think the Fire Marshals were as strict way back then and I seem to remember standing room only at times.

One evening I was at Mr. B's with girl that was as cute as they get and Ham was there having a drink by himself. At one point, he got up and came over to our table and introduced himself and started talking excitedly to us in his raspy voice about the new Rec Hall which was under construction. He said the new facility was going to going to allow the Aggies to move up to the next level of college basketball and he envisioned great things to come for the basketball program.

Just as he was leaving, he turned and looked at me and said, "She's a special one...just look at the twinkle in her eyes." I think she was probably the real reason he came over and started chatting with us.
  • BlueGoldAg
    From the Davis Enterprise article:

Jim Les:

“I wasn’t pleased overall,” said the UCD coach. “Our defensive effort just wasn’t there. At the end of the day, you have to show some pride and some desire. We had some spurts, but we have to get better.”

On Atin Wright scoring 42 points:

“We gave him two wide open looks and that got him going,” Les added.

Commenting on Leo DeBruhl:

“I thought he did a really nice job,” said Les of DeBruhl. “We have a lot of confidence in him.”

Regarding the "mystery" point that was added to the score late in the game:

For unexplained reasons at that point, a “mystery” point changed the score to 61-59 on the scoreboards at both ends of the court. After a bit of discussion, the point remained on the board, even though UCD statisticians and The Enterprise’s own play-by-play tally showed the score to be 61-58.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/basketball-uc-davis-men-too-much-for-matadors-2/
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!