• BlueGoldAg
    Aaron Murphy has now entered the portal and that makes 7 Aggies who are transferring.

I'm really beginning to wonder about what is behind this mass exodus. I can understand having a few players deciding to leave but 7...wow, something doesn't seem right...

https://verbalcommits.com/players/aaron-murphy
  • AggieFinn2
    According to unreliable (imaginary) sources Coach Les and Gunrock are now in the portal.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Wow that is another shocker. The three who graduated (Fuller, Ba, Shaw) I get, plus McGill who's minutes dwindled to nothing near the end of the season, I understand, but Murphy was often times one of the first "Bigs" off the bench and he seemed to be in line for a lot more minutes. I wonder if, with Manjon leaving, no one wants to be the last man on the sinking ship.
  • movielover
    The recent limited football transfers made more sense.

Jordan Perryman, 6th year, steps up to Pac 12 with Coach Hawkins blessing (classy). (New article posted in Football under Perryman transfer.)

RB Dixon, who never played, transferred out (his second transfer).

Gilliam announced a transfer, then came home.
  • 69aggie
    This is probably best explained by Les or Rocko now or it is a very embarrassing situation for Les if not explained now. Fans could wonder if this is not a sign of a bad or lazy coach. Rocko please let us know!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    It does seem like there should be some statement from the AD and/or coach. Hopefully they're not waiting for further defections to hit.
  • movielover

Graduating / Grad transfers:
    BJ Shaw - G
    Fuller - G
    Ba - G

Undergrads:
    Haynesworth, Sr? - PG
    Manjon, Jr - PG
    Niles, Soph - G
    McGill, Soph - F
    Murphy, Soph - F
  • DrMike
    this is bizarre. Murphy played quite a bit last year, and i don't see him getting that much time at a similar level school.

did grades just come out?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Spring quarter started March 24.
  • Jackbacker2
    Do you think they are testing the waters with the NIL out there? Transferring could cost them academically, as not all classes will slot perfectly. Going into the Portal is one thing, enrolling at a new school is another.

What would or should Les or Rocko say?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I guess from my point of view, I'd like to see the press start to ask questions about why the mass exodus...Get the school to say something, even if it's a generic response. I think, with the baseball scandal still fresh, it's not unreasonable to at least ask why 7/8 kids with eligibility have left the program.
  • DrMike
    I put the grad transfers in a different class - they may not have qualified acedemically here for grad students. Same for the walkons (I wonder if they expect a scholarship to be handed out). But an impact player and 2 guys in the rotation? That’s a little stunning
  • AggieFinn2
    I wonder if, like the baseball team, there is a problem with the team culture. It can't all be over playing time. I think your average UC Davis recruit is smart enough to understand that they'll have to earn it, and that early on.there may not be much opportunity to earn.
  • DrMike
    murphy played in every game, averaging 10 minutes a game. McGill played in 18, also averaging around 10 per game. McGill's playing time shrank when Ba came back, but he's gone next year. Murphy played with alot of energy and joy, so that one surprises me more than McGill -> he didn't look like a happy camper than last couple weeks of the season.
  • 88Aggie
    I remember some previous comments on this board that some team members felt Les' coaching style was a little abrasive at times. But I also read some comments over the years that were the opposite and the team loved him. So, I was never quite sure. I can see on the sidelines that is very passionate and competitive. Possibly with the team not doing so well maybe he rode these guys hard.

Maybe it has nothing to do with Les and more to do with Yolo County and the school having tougher covid restrictions than almost anywhere else putting us at a disadvantage and ruining their college basketball career. Hard to know what is happening for an outsider but something is up!
  • DrMike
    watching Les this year, he is much less animated on the sidelines, especially when it comes to addressing the players. There was a time several years back when i thought he was way too hard on reserves - they started to look tenative and afraid v to make mistakes.
  • movielover
    We went from a 10-20 win team that competed with Berkeley and UCLA (7 pt loss), to a 5 win team losing by 43 under Les. By seasons end, ugly 30, 40 point losses. Everyone was tentative. We didn't really use Dupont, Kurtz, Tiffin or Corbin. A solid player (Dupont) and 4 developing players left.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    In case anyone is interested in Fuller's recruitment:

• BlueGoldAg
    Sac State continues to add size from the portal. Callum MacRae a 7'1 C from New Zealand has transferred to Sac from UC Riverside. They added Hunter Marks, a 6'9 PF from Harford, last weeks also.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It looks like the Ags how shown interest in Julian Lewis, a 6'6 SG from Ann Arbor, MI, who is transferring from William & Mary.

• movielover
    Both one year guys.
  • 69aggie
    I still think that ICA has to address this situation. The TP is not a real threat to football because the roster is so much larger, but for basketball teams it could be disastrous. How does a program respond to a player who says “coach, I need more minutes or I will go into the TP”? And then the player goes into the TP and does not go anywhere. Where does that player stand with the coach then? What about his/her scholarship? Seems this is exactly where the Aggie mens BB team is at this time.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I watched this players tape and it's a lot of dunks or shots at the basket, with a few 3 pointers thrown in there. With 3 years of eligibility left, he'd be a good fit.
  • movielover
    Amazing get.

jake lieberman@jakelieberman2

"Catawba (D2) [Southern school, 1200 students] has landed New Mexico transfer Valdir Manuel. 6’10" Center that led the country in blocked shots. "
  • BlueGoldAg
    DeAndre Henry, a 6'7 PF who is transferring from Nevada, has heard from the Ags.

Nevada transfer DeAndre Henry is hearing from Portland State, UC-Davis, Liberty, Pacific and Incarnate Word since going into the portal.
    @DreDayy2020

https://twitter.com/dredayy2020

Nevada transfer DeAndre Henry also has heard from Portland State, UC-Davis, Liberty, Pacific, Incarnate Word, Sam Houston State, North Dakota and New Hampshire since entering the portal, per reports. Washington, Henry and Cambridge are three of four scholarship transfers from Nevada's roster, joined by guard Alem Huseinovic.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/nevada-transfer-warren-washington-narrows-focus-to-seven-schools
  • G-Man
    Have any of wbb team transferred or left?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    As far as I know, the only three leaving are the ones who graduated, Konrad, Stobbart, and Hall. But news on the women players is a little harder to find.
  • BlueGoldAg
    247 Sports "Transfer Crystal Ball" is predicting that Ezra Manjon will be transferring to "Vanderbilt 100%." You have to pay a fee to read more about this prediction so this is all the info that I can access.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Ezra-Manjon-at-UC-Davis-279388/CurrentTransferInstitutionPredictions/
  • DrMike
    play in the SEC and continue education at a top notch academic institute? Good landing spot
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!