• agalum
    From the posted preview:

“ While the Aggies have had the misfortune of being the unluckiest team in the conference with the fewest games played so far, their upcoming homestand has the potential to transform their place in the Big West.

This year's standings will be determined by win percentage and while Long Beach State sits alone at 9-1, UC Davis is one of four teams with three losses.

Series Record vs. CSU Bakersfield
    UC Davis trails 11-29
    Last CSUB win: 12/6/08 - H, 87-86
    Last UC Davis win: 3/11/21 - N, 58-56
    Series Streak: UC Davis +3”
  • DrMike
    5 1/2 point favorites which reflects the records, but probably doesn’t account for our inactivity (and which players were/are affected by COVID)
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Really hard to know what to expect from the Ags, not knowing who is healthy and who has practiced.
  • DrMike
    I can’t imagine we had enough to scrimmage - that was the case earlier when we struggled vs poly
  • Oldbanduhalum
    yeah I’m sure the coaches have been getting a workout. I wonder if they bring back alumni to help? I know Goode has been hanging around.
  • DrMike
    if we can’t eat popcorn in the pavilion there must be a campus rule against alumni! Maybe scrimmage by zoom
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Good point. They are probably trying to limit the players exposure
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Looks like everyone is dressed, including Ba and Shaw
  • DrMike
    I was about to type that
  • agalum
    Strange seeing a state school in blue and gold.
  • Toke69
    Aggies are 6/6 from the foul line!
  • agalum
    Roadrunners ball movement is impressive. This is not going to be a cake walk. Roadrunners looking tough.
  • Toke69
    Seems like a lot of Aggies' shots are drawing iron on the front of the rim. I wonder if that's a sign of fatigue? Hard to believe this early in the game, though.
  • agalum
    39-38 roadrunners at half. Game play and stats looks like the score to me - about even.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Shawn Smith is a beast. 20 points already. We’re having trouble with his physical play. The officials are really letting him bang like a bull inside and he’s drawing a lot of fouls. Hard to defend him when they are letting him be so physical.
  • Toke69
    Stith is #32, and has 20 points, almost all of them from right next to the hoop. He's 6'6" and 265 lbs. I heard Bob Williams say that he is not in shape due to previous injury and is not likely to have as good a second half.
  • DrMike
    75-69 2 to go. Fuller is in the locker room which scares me. Need that extra scorer and defender
  • DrMike
    Weak call on manjon. Need another stop
  • Toke69
    My heart can't take these kinds of games. Sheesh!
  • Toke69
    As much as I love basketball, I hate the interminable way that close games drag on at the end. I really would like to see the NCAA try what the NBA did in their 2020 bubble. If I remember correctly, when a game's third quarter ended, the clock was turned off and the first team to score an additional 20 points won. In college, it could be adapted to mid-point of the second half. For example say today at the 10 minute mark with the Roadrunners up 59-54, the refs stop the clock and say that the first team to get to 79 wins. No clock concerns, no intentional fouls, no intentional missed free throws, and no time outs. Most likely the Ags would have won. As it was, it took about 15 minutes to play the last minute of the game in which Eli Pepper outscored CSUB's Higgins 4-3 from the foul line. It would have been more exciting to see them playing the game from the floor, although it would have been even harder on my heart.
  • agalum
    And the Ags win 81-79 in a nail biter. The roadrunners looked much better than their record suggested.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This was a hard fought win for the Aggies and they really needed a win since 8 of their last 16 games have been cancelled. It's hard to be in great form and peaking when you can't play games without long layoffs every other week. Manjon said that the team couldn't even practice in the gym at times and had to practice outdoors.

There were 48 fouls called: 22 on the Ags and 26 on the Runners with the Ags going 29 of 35 from the line and Bake going 20 of 23. I thought the officiating was very uneven. They let the game get very physical in the first half and then started calling touch fouls in the second so it was a ragged game without either team really being able to get into an offensive rhythm.

I like the way the Ags hung tight though and I thought they played pretty good defense and some stops when they really counted. Fuller took a violent hit to the mouth and had to leave the game. I hope he'll be good to go next week. He's made a lot of progress this year. Good to see Borra and Murphy getting playing time when Anigwe got in early foul trouble.

I like the heart that this team has. Hopefully, they will get to actually play their final 4 games!
  • DrMike
    I think fuller hit his head. He looked a little dazed when they walked him back to locker room

I’m with you on the character of this team. They really fought tonight through some offensive slumps and made stops to pull ahead. That little guard at the end was unstoppable and unflappable! Watching him and Manjon go at it was fun.

Also agree on the fouls. The 4th on Msnjon, offensive with the wrap about after getting bumped, was an odd call at a crucial time. Glad the FTs down the stretch sealed it
  • DrMike
    My only nit was Angiwe sitting most of the game after Stith fouled out. Seems like he could have helped at the basket Shem their little guy kept going to the hoop. Manjon never got help
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think fuller hit his head. He looked a little dazed when they walked him back to locker roomDrMike

Les commented post-game that Fuller got hit in the mouth and there was a lot of blood. He may have hit his head also because, like you said, he looked dazed as they led him to the locker room. They were also checking inside his mouth before they took him to the locker room.

Les also said he asked Fuller if there was anything dirty on the play and Fuller said, "no."
  • DrMike
    we were sitting just above the training table and they were working hard to stop the bleeding in his mouth. Nothing dirty - just bad luck of where he was when the guy came down.

He almost got beat by their offensive rebounds. Way too many second chances points, especially after good defensive stops.

Sitting behind Tyler Les is entertaining; he’s not afraid to voice his displeasure with the referees!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Sitting behind Tyler Les is entertaining; he’s not afraid to voice his displeasure with the referees!DrMike

Haha...neither am I! :rage:
  • DrMike
    Thursday matchup with UCSB is a big one. We’re 4-3, they are 4-5 and only 2 teams with a reasonable chance at 6 seed (first round bye). Our final week in the road is tougher than their final week, so getting more cushion with a win would be huge.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    fun game last night. Yes too many fouls and that dragged it out, but I liked the way we performed. We are so lucky to watch Manjon and Pepper play.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm surprised that UCSB has struggled as much as they have this year. They get some highly rated recruits and transfers each year so they aren't short on talent.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Les has a great eye for recruiting undervalued players and it's a pleasure to see them develop over the years. We're a young team also so the future is bright.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!