• movielover
    Re offense, we mainly talk about the QB and O line. Are we a little slim at WR?

We lost Lance Babbs II, Kraft and Orlando Ornelas. 2018 we averaged about 30 receptions a game, now about 20 a game.

Harrell (4)
    Hutton (3)
    Vaughn (2)
    CCrawford (2)
    Castles (2)
    Thorpe (1) = TE = 4 a game
    O'Keeffe (1)

UG (3)
    LL (1.5)

We've got about 8 young wide receivers not seeing the field much. 6 RFrosh or Frosh. (Does Cloyd really have 2 receptions?)

Harrell 5 gm -> 4
    UG 4 -> 3
    CC 2 -> 2
    Vaughn 1 -> 2

No expert here, but it seems we could use another contributor or two. Thorpe a beast in HS, highly touted, why not have him in the slot or drag him over the middle?

FWIW, OO recently tweeted about Portland State several times.
  • Riveraggie
    we have a lot of of wide receivers.
    Cloyd shares #20 with Poerio. Stats confused.
    Thorpe’s best use is as a tight end.
    Next year we won’t have Harrell and Vaughn, so some of the young players will have to shine.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We could use some WR's with size and speed also. We haven't had a 6'3 or taller WR is a while that presented a mid to deep threat because of their speed.
  • Riveraggie
    Drawing a pretty fine distinction, with a need for someone whose 6’3 or taller as a deep threat when our deep threat is 6’2”.
    Maybe he should change shoe brands?
  • movielover
    Defense - Tackles

Budgett 8
    Frazier 7
    Venable 7
    Buchanan 7
    White 6

Sacks - 0
    TFL = 4

EWU

Sendelbach - 9 solo tackles for EWU
    TFL = 6
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, and he's gone next year.
  • DrMike
    Vaughn was out last night, and walking very stiff-legged on the sideline.
  • Riveraggie
    I know, that’s why I said both Harrell and Vaughn are gone next year and we need some of the young guys to shine.
    They’ve recruited tall wide receivers they just haven’t played due to the players in front of them. But those are big shoes to fill. Anyone know what Granfor’s injury is or was?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I think Vaughn is done for the season. Don’t know for sure but I’ve heard the injury is serious enough to keep him out the rest of the way.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Sorry to hear that. That's a big blow to the team. Vaughn is a great athlete.
  • movielover
    Harrell was hot on the sideline. Any insights?
  • DavisAggie
    And when one is open deep, Hastings is usually off target
  • Oldbanduhalum
    He was pretty pissed. My sense was that he was frustrated at how the game was going. Several players, and finally Hawk, came over to calm him down. Probably just frustration from losing so many games to eastern.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We left with about 5 or 6 minutes to go in the game because we were worried about the drive back to Sacramento in the dense fog. We heard on the radio that there was an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the Ags for something and they didn't say who it was on. I think it was after EWU scored their final TD.

Anyone know what that was about? Also, I wonder if Harrell's frustration could have been about something that happened on the field...?
  • movielover
    I just caught a glimpse, that's not typical for him. My gut feeling was that he was reacting to some action from an EWU player.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I agree, not like him at all. I would guess that something happened on the field that really got to him.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    It was hard to see. I know the unsportsmanlike call that you're talking about. I "believe" it was on the extra point, but to be honest, I couldn't see anything due to the fog. Maybe someone who was sitting farther down on the west side end zone might have seen something. My gut was that it was just some pushing and shoving after the whistle. Again, frustration coming out.

Harrell was certainly highly emotional the whole game. He continually tried to get the crowd involved as well as pumping up his teammates. He clearly wanted this one.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, I bet some of the frustration for Harrell was how EWU was pushing our defense around and how our offense was sputtering. Of course, we've never beaten EWU and that's got to be frustrating for him. Maybe we'll get another chance in the playoffs.

I like it when the crowd is into it and the players try to get the crowd to get even louder. However, I think it's a bit demoralizing for the players when they feel like the crowd is just sitting silent and they need to implore them to make some noise.

I'm not sure why so many Aggie fans are so reserved with their enthusiasm and support. Many of the fans in my section don't even stand up for the kickoffs which is an Aggie tradition.
  • Idaho Aggie
    We used to joke that you could spot the non-Aggies at an on-campus concert because they were dancing and clapping. I guess this hasn't changed since the '80s?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Ha! It may even be more true now than in the '80's. We went out to lunch at Guads just off campus before the game. Outside of the three of us, there was NO ONE with any aggie gear on. There were 6 EWU fans (we talked briefly...they were family of #55 on the Eagles). Honestly shocked at how little school spirit there seems to be.
  • DrMike
    they are saving themselves for the Bob Dunning led move to the Mountain West
  • movielover
    Guads?

We were loud vs Reno, and ND at home... 1982?

Break the Record Nights, too.

Town too educated?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Wait...I thought we were ready for the PAC12! :yikes:
  • Idaho Aggie
    Toomey was loud back in the '80s. Maybe it was just the right size to hold all the people who cared about Aggie football?

I think Davis has always attracted students who cared most about academics. I was not amongst them, but managed not to flunk out. I had lots of friends who didn't go to games. I don't think my brother ever went, and his sons, both Aggies too, rarely went. I took one of them to the playoff game a few years back, and it was his first game ever.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Guads is a new-ish mexican place on 3rd and University. 3rd street between the campus and downtown was redesigned recently to make it more of a pathway for students to go between the city and the campus. The owner of Guads (https://guadsdavis.com/) have two other places in town, one next to savemart (or the old Lucky's if you go back that far) and one in south davis next to Nugget. This one is geared more to students...good service, good beer, good food, with a nice patio. Place was packed on Saturday.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah, the hurdles to moving up would be huge on the field, as big or bigger off. Any move would HAVE to come with a massive uptick in the marketing budget. And I'm not just talking about a few more signs posted around town. Stuff like getting Unitrans to send game day busses to each Elementary school in town to make it easy to get the locals there. Real marketing to Woodland and Dixon. Work with the local little leagues/youth football/boys and girls scout/etc, to increase awareness. Cooperation with Frats/Sororities and other groups on campus. A MILLION more things that all cost money. Right now, we look like a lower level program.
  • movielover
    Why do we need to increase our budget to market to Woodland and Dixon?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    You're probably right to a point, we can do some marketing to those towns now, without a big increase in funds. But, to really start to make inroads, to get the average person who doesn't think about UCD athletics, to really get comfortably with the notion of consistently going to Aggie games, will take more money.
  • zythe
    I saw the game and didn’t want to comment until now. My blood pressure was taking too many hits.

Do we have a definitive QB? It doesn’t seem like it. I miss Jake Meier…
  • Riveraggie
    What would a definitive QB look like? Someone who doesn’t get blamed when the offense gains 2 yards a carry until the fog comes in? Someone who isn’t responsible for defensive backs playing off players in the end zone so a TD is a simple pass and catch? Someone who generates a pass rush? Or just maybe a better version of Eric Barriere who can overcome all those flaws? Jake couldn’t do it in a few tries.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!