• CA Forever
    Fresh off a victory against Cal Poly, the Aggies now have to head up to the Inferno to take on the Eagles of Eastern Washington. The Eagles have had a little bit of an up and down season so far, but this will be a considerable challenge for the Ags especially since we have quite literally never beaten them. Yep, we're 0-11 against the Eagles with our last match up being a 24-27 loss. EWU's season so far has looked as such:

vs Monmouth - W 42-27
    vs Drake - L 32-35
    @ Southeastern Louisiana - L 24-28
    @ Nevada - L 16-49
    vs Montana - L 49-52
    @ Sacramento State - W 35-28

So while they currently have a losing schedule, they are also a handful of plays away from being 5-1. The outlier here is the loss to non-scholarship, Drake.

The Eagles have always been known for their high flying offense, but they are actually running a quite balanced offense this season. They are currently averaging 220.83 passing yards per game and 213.3 rushing yards per game. They, however, are also giving up 281.17 passing yards per game and 192.2 rushing yards per game.

The offense is led by Kekoa Visperas who has completed 119/159 passing attempts (74.84%) for 1217 yards and 11 TDs with 0 INTs. Visperas has also gained 241 rushing yards with 3 rushing touchdowns. 2 additional QBs have taken snaps this season, but have primarily been used as runners. Jared Taylor has completed 7/11 passing attempts (63.64%) for 64 yards with 1 INT, but has rushed for 293 yards with 4 TDs. Michael Wortham has completed 4/6 passing attempts for 2 TDs and has added 113 rushing yards and 2 TDs. I'm always worried when the Ags go against mobile QBs as we always seem to struggle.

The Eagles feature 2 different RBs in their offense. The first is Tuna Altahir who has 68 rushing attempts for 408 yards with 2 TDs. The second is Malik Dotson who has 59 rushing attempts for 318 yards and 3 TDs. What is notable about their run game is that so far this season they have only 3 yards of loss between these 2 guys. They just don't get brought down in the backfield. In terms of receivers, the main target is Efton Chism III who has 54 receptions for 580 yards and 7 TDs. There is a sharp drop off in terms of production after that.

The Eagle defense is led in tackles by DB Derek Ganter Jr with 41 total tackles. DB Cage Schenck leads the team in TFLs with 3.5 while LB Ahmani Williams leads the team in sacks with 1.5. Probably the most notable defense stat is DB DaJean Williams with 10 PBUs on the season. The Eagles have only forced 3 turnovers this season, but at the same time they very rarely turn the ball over themselves.

All in all, this will be a tough challenge for the Ags. They are a far better team than Cal Poly or Portland State despite what their record says. Maybe this will be the season that the Aggies get the monkey off their back against EWU, but I'm not going to hold my breath. This is one of those games that I'm predicting a loss until I'm proven otherwise.

GO AGS! BEAT THE EAGLES!
  • agalum
    They might be the best 1-4, or 2-4 now, team out there. Cheney is an absolute terrible place to play, and worse to watch as a fan. I doubt I would ever go back. This is going to be a challenge.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I thought about going but it may be on the cooler side in th 50s or mid 40s and I wouldn't get home until close to midnight. Hence I'll probably just catch it from home. If this was at Idaho, I'd certainly go.
  • CA Forever
    Like I said, even on their down years they seem to have our number. I'm hoping for a win, but I always brace for the loss until the team can prove that they can get over that hump.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I absolutely hate that red carpet! It's gotta be the most ugly field in college football. I guess I'm just an old traditionalist when it comes to what a football field should look like. I don't like Boise's blue field either but I'd take it over that butt ugly red carpet in Cheney.

No other team in the Big Sky has ever caused us so much grief over the years. We've gotta find a way to win this one and get the monkey off our backs!
  • Wookie
    A good test for the Aggies. I have a friend in Spokane I visit often. I refuse to go to an EWU game in Cheney. Had the misfortune to sit next to one of their fans at a Davis game. What an arse The dude was a real hayseed. I’m sure many of you have had similar experiences both good and not so good.
    I sat next to a great Tennessee fan at Memorial. They brought over,10,000 fans to Berkeley. He was the most pleasurable, knowledgeable individual. Even though Cal won, he was very gracious. I always try to engage with visiting fans who come to Davis. It’s part of the game day experience.
    Go Ags!
  • Riveraggie
    All these stats are Big Sky Conference only.

Eastern Washington’s offense is similarly productive to Davis’ but they are much more effective rushing averaging 5.9 yards a carry to Davis’s 3.7.
    Eastern Washington had 286 net yards rushing against Sac State, and 263 against Montana. They average almost six yards a carry. Their two running backs are similar in size to Larison, both 6’ tall 217 and 212 lbs, Their running QB taylor is also 6’ 200+ lbs..On the Sac State broadcast they said the offensive line has over 200 starts. Stopping the run is going to be a challenge.

Both teams complete a high percentage of passes, but Eastern throws less than half as many for less yardage per attempt. Interesting that Davis trails only Montana State in yards per pass attempt, and Montana State throws only about a third as much.
  • DrMike
    Eastern feels more dangerous to me than Idaho did, mainly because they can put up points. Conversely, they seem to be able to give up points at a healthy clip. We're going to have to get off to another fast start, and play a smart, clean game on offense. I feel better about the fact that they don't seem to like to heave it down the field (not exactly a defensive strength of ours).
  • NCagalum
    In watching the EWU - Sac game-
    Sac had only 7 possessions. Their downfall was really the third quarter. Eastern took the kickoff, went tempo, marched right down the field and scored. They then had a successful on-side kick and again tempo for another score. That was followed by a pick of a Conklin pass. Sac could just not get off the field. EWU rushing game seemed to wear them down, and vesparas got key escapes of rushes, and the running QB, Taylor, gashed them. Conklins stats looked good but he was not super sharp, with a real bad INT and some missed throws.

Keys - keep Vesparas in the pocket. Sac seemed to overrun him in the pass rush and he just took the opportunity to escape and run. Otherwise he throws almost exclusively shot passes like slants to Chism.

Stop the rushing QB. He is only going to run. Only 1 pass from him. In the same vein slow down the run and just get off the field.

Gonna have to score. Hopefully some of the momentum from poly will carry over.

Win the turnover battle. This will be crucial if it gets to be somewhat of a shootout. There were only 3 punts in the sac game all others were scores with the exception of a short missed field goal by Eastern. 9 possessions for Eastern to 7 for Sac was the difference.
  • AggieFinn
    This game's about ball security and executing.

Weather forecast in Cheney this Saturday afternoon around game time: Temps in the 50's, mostly cloudy, winds at 10 mph.

• CA Forever
    Hopefully the game against Poly gave the team confidence to execute throughout the game. If we play like we did against PSU, we will lose to EWU. The Eagles benefit from having a lot of guys who can run the ball effectively from the RB and QB positions and can wear a team down. The defense will need to keep an eye on where Chism is and make sure he's covered because he's target #1 for the QB, but we also have to be ready for the QB to take off. Shut one of those things down and make them 1 dimensional.
  • SochorField
    Second half of the season started last Saturday, and the Aggies played their best game.

I think the Ags go to Cheney and break the curse. Confidence must be high in the locker room this week.
  • agalum
    Maybe Best will forget to take his Lipitor, lol.
  • CA Forever
    Massey giving the Ags a 55% chance of winning for what it's worth. Essentially a coin toss.
  • NCagalum
    My weather app (weather underground) shows 15 mph winds at kickoff. That could affect the passing game somewhat. Certainly not like the winds in Brookings during the playoff game a couple years ago.
  • SochorField
    Can we not with that Brookings trip please :cry:
  • NCagalum
    Almost got them there in 2022 though.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!