• agalum

Maybe Gunther? Not sure why he didn’t get more snaps last year. Moving forward, 6 interceptions and we loose to Davis High. I’m sure there’s more to that story, such as the OL, but….
  • Oldbanduhalum
    It'd be really nice if one of the "other" QBs would show something big in spring and summer.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Having to play on the ugliest field in the FCS should be reason enough for him to not go to EWU! :scream:
  • CA Forever
    Won't get arguments from me on that!
  • agalum

Aside from ugly, it’s an awful place to be in the stands, especially during inclement weather.
  • DrMike
    I think we’ll be on the watch for the transfer portal to find a playmaker. Castles was a good get; need some speed.
  • movielover

I could be wrong. But I figure w his GPA and achievements, he has aspirations only a major university fulfills.

Anybody here see Dixon or Faulk in practice?
  • 69aggie
    I think TT is the type of guy who will work hard over the year and develop and be able to deliver next year. Maybe at QB! He is a better runner than the sac guy and bigger. Just needs some work in the passing area, although it must be said that he is not a bad passer. Maybe also at slot.
  • 69aggie
    Ok he is good!
  • agalum

Mitchell Dixon, 6’4”. 220#s. Looks like more of a thrower than runner. Reminds me of O’brien.
    https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7630461/5d7d1c23c1247d0df8b01ad3
  • DrMike
    I heard he lit it up at times as the scout team QB vs the first team defense.

If Rodrigues doesn’t come back, I think it will be a medical decision. This wasn’t his first concussion v Weber.
  • 88Aggie
    What about Grant Harper. Good size, over 2,000 yards in junior and senior season. CIF titles. I kind of remember his signing with some fanfare. Did anyone ever hear how he did in camp?
  • movielover
    I never focused on it much, until his concussion. He's 170 pounds. Maier, Barriere, Garbers... all 203, 210, 220+ pounds.

FWIW, I believe our offense is back to #6 in the Big Sky, defense #5. I expect EWU to come down from. 43 PPG, at least to 38 or so (if not lower). MSU, Weber at 37, 38 PPG ... tough when we're at 29 PPG. We have to score more. I believe my previous off season observation was correct, our 73 points vs SLO disguised our weaknesses on offense.

We have solid coaches, system, and more facilities on the way. We need some key additions, a DE or two, a few playmakers. We have some young players who will bloom. We need more. Another Buchanan, Perryman.
  • agalum

I think i heard the same thing, wink.
  • CA Forever
    I'm not ruling out that we see improvement to starter quality in one of the QBs on the roster. That being said, I think we don't have anything to lose in bringing in a transfer. If none of the current guys take a step forward, the now Gilliam-less offense will REALLY look lost.
  • Riveraggie
    That bit of news regarding Rodrigues’ prior concussion or concussions is a pretty significant factor. Back in 72 or 73 the team had a fullback/tight end who was one of the stars of the team. He had to call it quits mid season after sustaining his sixth career concussion.
  • 69aggie
    HR was great as long as it lasted. Multiple concussions? If he was my son I would say no more. The sight of his dad holding him after the last concussion was heart breaking. But I love this kid to death. Move on and be great at what you do!
  • movielover
    Does Coach Hawkins go on home visits for recruiting?
  • CA Forever
    Interesting QB hitting the transfer portal out of UCLA.

Kajiya Hollawayne originally out of San Jacinto and was rated as a 3 star QB by 247. He's a big boy standing at 6'4 210 and is a true dual threat QB. Still has 4 years of eligibility. Looks like he simply got buried in the depth chart for the Bruins as a true freshman and decided to look for greener pastures.

Not saying Hawk and company are even looking his way, but he's a California kid and was already in the UC system. Couldn't hurt for the staff to at least give this one a look.
  • DrMike
    I’m guessing they are aware!
  • movielover
    UCLA has 9 transfers, 2 are QBs, plus an edge rusher (Myles Jackson) w 4 years left. Harder pitch, from Georgia.

JM & HR first year JC finds.
  • CA Forever

And I'm not saying that Hollawayne (or any specific transfer for that matter) would be a fix all for the program because you never know how players truly will transfer their game from high school to college. He could end up transferring and still not end up starting. That being said, I'm still firmly in the camp that we need some new blood to show up at the position. We can't do what we did this season again. It worked primarily due to strength of schedule and it culminated in a playoff blowout. Tough to complain about making the playoffs, but it's a clear position of weakness for us.
  • DrMike
    I think they’ll look at places like Cal, UCLA and other high academic schools for possible fits. Worked with transfers this year.,
  • CA Forever
    New offer on 3 star DL/LB Clayton Lynam from Saint Francis in Mountain View! GO AGS!

• movielover
    I love all our guys, & HR, but I think we've learned a lesson about slight QBs in the BS. And we had 2 light schedules.

I'm hoping Lance Babbs II comes back - that would be big. LL, Thorpe, Chaz Davis all showed something.

Recall CJ at QB - great guy and athlete. But my sources said his accuracy in practice just wasn't there.
  • Riveraggie
    Our schedule wasn’t that light, Tulsa ended up 6-6, San Diego 7-4. Except for Dixie a respectable out of conference slate. Our conference schedule included 3 of the 5 playoff teams, and Weber would likely have been in the playoffs instead of us if we hadn’t beaten them.

The thing that was light was our list of wins against the playoff level teams. We had the opportunity but couldn’t do it, and mostly looked like we weren’t competitive. We don’t match the physicality of playoff teams.

We’re going to miss Bryce Rodgers next year and we obviously had trouble when we played without Lamson, with the CalPoly’s little Elija Ponder looking like an unstoppable force running around our 6’8” replacement at tackle. That illustrates that our young linemen may not ready to step in.
  • agalum

What happened to Babbs, injury?
  • DrMike
    not an injury. he’s on track to be back in the spring. He was/is a playmaker.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!