• movielover
    Two days ago, new head football coach Dan Hawkins was interviewed on KTIK / The Ticket radio in Idaho and he spoke about his new job here in Davis. Random items.

- The evolution of Davis: this would have taken at least 2 months a few years ago (1:20)

- Impressed with the University embracing what it takes to achieve a national championship, facilities ... (2:30)

- Our staff salary pool will go from the middle of the pack to the top of the pack (2:45)

- New football facility at stadium, just received a $5 Million gift today (3:00)

- Assistants: a unique situation (academically) that requires unique guys

- Increased excitement level with recruits, possible Boise State assistant coaches considered

http://www.ktik.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/317/2016/11/Dan-Hawkins-UC-Davis.mp3
  • zythe

Maybe I missed it, but is there more information on this gift?
  • CA Forever
    Just got done listening to the interview. Just has me even more excited for Aggie football. It really sounds like Dr. Blue and Hawkins have big plans to move this program forward!
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's apparent that Blue has been working behind the scenes for a while with influencial former Aggie coaches, players and donors to make changes and get things rolling. Another indication of this was that Blue flew up to Boise to interview Hawkins on a donor's private plane.

Blue recognizes that the football program needs an infusion of money to get some of the pieces in place that will help put us on a more even footing with the top programs in the FCS and help make the program more attractive to recruits. It was rumored that many of the most dedicated Aggie donors were so upset about Daryl Gross not becoming the new AD that they closed their wallets and walked away. Obviously, Blue has done a great job in winning their back confidence and bringing them back into the fold.

Exciting times ahead for Aggie football!
  • movielover
    Sounds great, he communicates very effectively...but Development probably wants to make the announcement. ... I hope he doesn't unnecessarily spill our gameplan before we play, we need the element of surprise.

Dr. Blue benefits from Tumey trying someone from outside, and things not working out. Bringing in Hawk helps mend some fences.

I sure hope we still have Mr. Edwards seed money.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Great interview! Hawkins mentioned that the $5 million donation was part of a $30 fundraising effort to provide a facility at the stadium. Anyone know what he is referring to?

It was also encouraging to hear him say that the phones are ringing of the hook right now and that there is a lot of enthusiasm and passion about the future direction of the program.

Like Hawk said at his presser, "This train is rolling!"
  • CA Forever
    We haven't heard an official statement from Blue on this new facility or the donation for that matter, have we? I imagine that if we were starting work on a 30 million dollar facility he would make an official statement about it so we can start getting more people in on the fund raising.
  • aggie6thman
    Silent phase (until Hawkins mentioned it) before the public phase. Need to make sure you are going to be able to raise the cash before you tell everyone you are trying. Limits the amount of egg on your face.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Did Hawk let the cat about of the bag early?
  • CA Forever
    Well, I'm assuming so considering we haven't seen anything from the university.
  • aggie6thman
    @BlueGoldAg

Like what CA said, we haven't heard a word about any $5 million gift from Blue. Keep in mind, if that $5 million came from one person it would be more than double what Edwards gave ($2 million) which is the largest donation in department history.

Also, last time Hawkins was in the mix for the HC job he wanted a lot of things and it seems like he is getting most of them...
    a bump in assistant's salaries,new facilities, etc.
  • movielover
    My understanding of FR is that you have to have one third of the funds raised before announcement, two thirds before construction starts.

Regarding any potential performance facility.

1. I hope all teams can use it.

2. I'm hoping for something with a little sizzle, not just a square building. I've heard alums mention a multi-story facility over one end zone so that the facility overlooks the field. It could even include an area for alumni events, and a rooftop deck to overlook the field and campus.
  • CA Forever
    If it really is planned to be a 30 million dollar facility, it should definitely have some flair. 30 million dollars is a whole heck of a lot of money for a facility. I mean it isn't what you'll see at some of the biggest programs, but University of Miami is getting ready to put in a 34 million dollar facility for comparison.
  • PortlandAggie
    I just listened to the interview. I still have my 4 years of eligibility left, I'm so pumped I might walk on 8-)
  • ucdavisaggie05
    I remember SJSU had announced something similar. A quick Google search provided this link: Vermeil-Walsh Athletic Complex. The north end zone seems to include a lot of what you described (although I personally think the architecture outside of the stadium leaves much to be desired).
  • aggie6thman
    $30 million...isn't that what we paid for Aggie Stadium... :-O
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Yes. But I'd assume a sizeable chunk of that resulted in digging out the bowl due the increase in steel prices at the time that dictated that change.
  • aggie6thman
    Meaning we would have paid more for a stadium that wasn't 30 feet below ground. Just saying, if the numbers are true, $30 million is one he!!uva big project.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Yes, but I vaguely recall an original budget of something like $17M when the stadium was promised while we were still both in school...with the original above-ground design.
  • aggie6thman
    I get that, my point is that $30 is the equivalent to Aggie Stadium in cost meaning it is a big project. I'm not saying we didn't get a lot of bang for our buck with AS, simply saying that $30 million is a large chunk of change equaling a large project.

Engineers...sheesh!! (L)
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Break it down in unit costs and quantities please. :D
  • movielover
    Can I suggest cost per square foot? .. is that a decent gauge?

Don't forget all of the bloat that comes with the UC, California, and prevailing wage union costs... environmental costs / regs...
  • CA Forever
    Even with additional UC regulation, a 30 million dollar football facility will be very substantial.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    I was just being sarcastic!
  • movielover
    Does anyone know if this secret performance facility will be for all sports, or only for football? I really, really hope it is for all teams.

Don't underestimate the ability to blow money on red tape. One of many reasons why mega-donor Arrigilla ran the Stanford Stadium project, he said he could cut the construction cost in half.
  • fugawe09
    Here's a visualization of what $30M buys you in construction these days:

1. Let's say for example's sake we are talking an athletic training facility, for which the ARC might be a good point of reference. The ARC is 155,850 square feet and cost $46.5M in 2004 dollars. In 2016 dollars this works out to about $58.8M or $377 per SF.

2. Assuming $377 per SF, you could be talking maybe an 80,000 SF facility of comparable build. Obviously you can push the price per SF down if you just want a metal frame field house for indoor practice or you can push it up if you are redeveloping an existing area with god-knows-what surprises underground.

3. In my area (which is not Davis, but is a place with a very strict building department) here's kind of an idea of what price per square foot gets you.
    • $275/sf - basic but functional. Think painted concrete block walls, open ceilings, polished concrete floors, moderate connectivity/technology/equipment
    • $375/sf - moderately upgraded. Think finished drywall, suspended ceilings in offices but open ceilings in clearspan areas, stained concrete floors or basic carpet tile
    • $475+/sf - nicely equipped. Think finished walls, probably with added architectural cookies. Upgraded ceilings with acoustical treatments, terrazzo floors

4. I've built projects with and without union labor and it usually washes in the end. The union guys tend have fewer accidents/mistakes resulting in fewer redos and injuries. The things that really drive costs are A. if you have an unrealisitic lowball estimate from the beginning, B. the local construction climate (you pay more for materials and labor in a building boom), C. change orders resulting from lack of planning or a change in leadership (executives all come in with their own "vision"), D. if you have somebody in the jobsite trailer with a "construction science" degree but no real experience.
  • movielover
    Fugawe, excellent feedback on our secret athletics project.

FWIW, UCLA is now building the football specific Wasserman Center at approx. $65 Million, with 75,000 "gross square feet". This is UCLA (Pac-12 biggie) ... I just completed a little wine tasting, so my math could be wrong, but that's $866 per square... it sounds a bit like what we have planned with some kind of "corridor" to honor student-athlete graduates.

http://www.uclabruins.com/news/2015/7/14/210210191.aspx

I recall a brief tour I had of some Stanford training facilities that had large glass walls with lots of natural light and wood, and I was like "woooaaa"... if we built something multi-level where the Bob Foster end zone locker rooms are it could have that "wow" factor. I don't know how a generic square building in front of Aggie Stadium - where they have some long-term buildings planned - gets that impact and functionality. (I think they had new ICA headquarters planned n front of the stadium.) ... to be honest, I don't have a lot of trust with our architect-related decisions.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    It looks like we have a long range 2017-2027 plan, and an area delineated along the La Rue corridor...but zero information regarding ICA developments. Might want to change that.
  • GunRockFaceMask
    Hi UCD-ites,
    Does anybody have some insight what this news means for the current assistant coaches?
  • CA Forever
    I still imagine that Hawkins plans on bringing in his own staff. We should probably start hearing some information coming soon. The current staff is still out on the recruiting trail, but Hawk will want to get his own guys out there as well as start making plans for next season.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!