• yolohw
    Has anyone else been to a Yolo High Wheelers game this year ? I went on opening day. Seemed like there was a good crowd-stadium roughly half full. However, in the 5th inning it began to get really difficult to see the outfield even with the temporary lights. Then they stopped the game and postponed the rest of it. That was kind of a lousy experience. Haven't come back to a game yet

I see they have changed their "night" game times to 4 pm, and that suggests they still haven't fixed the lights.Forgive the baseball pun, but that's really bush league. One would think they would have done several dry runs like informal scrimmages or team practices under the lights to make sure everything worked first. Who has time and desire to attend a baseball game at 4 pm on a Wed in the summer ?Seems like a major hindrance to attendance. If they can't get enough people to attend, how will they stay in business and fulfill all these promises they made to UC Davis and the community ?

Has anyone else been to a game ? How was your experience ?

Seems like these owners are getting very good crowds for the Oakland Ballers franchise. It is too bad for the High Wheelers because it looks like they have a very competitive team this year but very small crowds are watching them. I hope this team doesn't fold or move to some venue in the Bay Area that can get lights right like Berkeley or maybe Stanford.
  • 69aggie
    And, again, the one unanswered question: why do we not have lights? Has there ever even been a statement from the administration on this issue?
  • yolohw
    Baseball is probably a low priority at UCD. If it weren't for the hazing scandal Matt Vaughn could probably have stayed there forever. Losing was ok but the hazing made the school look bad and that's what cost him his job.
  • dbrekke
    I looked into this just after the season opened. The Pioneer League told me the Ballers/High Wheelers owners had bought lights from a supplier overseas but that the arrival was delayed because of a problem with shipping them. The hope then, back in June, was that they'd get lights installed sometime during the course of the season. The league said playing day games is not an option because of afternoon heat, and the 4 p.m. start times are an attempt to avoid the hottest part of the day while leaving enough daylight to get the games in.
  • yolohw
    That makes sense, although the 4 pm games aren't much better. The kids may be out of schol right now but their parents still have to work. Who comes to the games then- just retirees ?

They were still using the temp lights, which they needed in the game. It is just surprising they didn't get enough to light the whole field.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!