• AggieFinn
    Sounds like a snakebit situation. Whatever, next opportunity awaits...not everybody gets a Kurt Warner at No. 4 on the QB depth chart.
  • movielover
    Would Plough need another offensive mind?
  • Riveraggie
    Rex Connors named seventh best returning safety in one Hero Sports list.
    https://herosports.com/fcs-football-top-returning-2024-safeties-bzbz/

Rex only played in seven games last year, so his stats dropped off, or he would likely be higher.
  • Riveraggie
    In case anyone is interested David Collins, Director of Sports Communications indicated by email that the issue I brought to his attention of Eli Simonson not being credited with playing despite has been passed along to the NCAA, and is expected to be corrected soon.
    He says the NCAA manages the stats.
  • Riveraggie

Maybe they’ll have an updated roster by then. (hope springs eternal). If they do have new grad students or transfers you would thing they would need to attend camp.
    The roster needs a lot of work. Looks like they don’t track players eligibility, red shirt years are not considered. The stats which are official from the NCAA list two of our top Freshmen last year, Jordan Fisher and Izaiah Souriolle as having played five games, i think thats wrong but if these are authoritative stats they should fix them.
  • 69aggie
    River, are you saying that the current
    Posted roster is incomplete? If so, why?
  • Riveraggie

As far as players on the roster, DrMike reported he heard on a player alumni zoom call that grad student transfer were expected, i assume for this season. But aside from that, I think it is likely that there will be some new names on the team, not announced elsewhere, as there were last season. Davis had two starters last year that were never announced, and who first showed up on the roster when the roster was updated in the summer.

Aside from names, other information in the roster pages is incomplete or wrong. For example:
    Simonson and Amone are both listed as not seeing action, both played in multiple games.
    Player eligibility year is not listed, all the true freshmen from last year are this year listed as sophomores, no red shirt freshmen.
    2024 recruit bios don’t have any info from their previous school, where they historically have listed noteworthy recognition or stats. No one wrote those resume entries this year. Now signing day central just links back to the roster.
  • CA Forever
    Not that this is most important thing either, but the photos of the players on the roster are a mish mash of like 3 seasons worth of pics. Can they not take new roster pictures every year? Like I said, not critical, but just kind of low effort and tacky.
  • CA Forever
    https://x.com/BigSkyConf/status/1815114556592820292

Larison named Big Sky Conference Preseason Offensive MVP
  • CA Forever
    https://x.com/BigSkyConf/status/1815084403150000392

Aggies picked to finish 4th in conference by both coaches and media
  • Riveraggie
    Idaho has lost a lot of their top players to the portal and graduation, so they’ll likely not be as good.
    The best argument to pick them 3rd is that they don’t play Montana and Sac State, two of the top 5 teams. Davis doesn’t play Weber and Northern Arizona,
  • AggieFinn
    Every top level FCS program is going to have to be masters at dealing with the transfer of players - both outgoing and incoming. The incoming being on the coaching/recruiting staff in making phone calls and taking them from players around the country. There are so many players at the FBS level who want to come find a place to play every week, and have great skills...and there are players at the DII and DIII levels who have what it takes to compete at the FCS level.
  • Riveraggie
    Every team has to.deal with transfers but so far Davis has not had highly regarded underclassmen transferring out..Davis' losses.this far have all been graduates..That string will inevitably end but Davis is still likely to be less impacted by transfer losses. Davis guys transferring out have the Covid bonus eligibility they want to use for.a new.experience . That opportunity to graduate and play elsewhere is soon to end.
  • blueforce
    Davis could benefit from developing some friendly back-and-forth mobility with Cal & UCLA (where I'd assume transferring is easier from an academic perspective), maybe Stanford/USC. We need to expect losing some guys every year in the portal, and I'd love to see them end up in-state w/ good academic institutions.

Does this make us just a feeder school for the big CA schools? Perhaps, but (1) maybe that's just the new reality of FCS football, (2) as long as it's a two-way street, we could gain more than we lose, and (3) maybe that's a great recruiting pitch i.e. come play high-level ball at Davis - if you really shine you can end up at Cal/UCLA with a fat NIL deal for your last year or two, get drafted, and excellent degree either way.
  • movielover
    I loved the opening of the San Jose State game, except I had trouble getting parking so missed the fireworks.
  • Riveraggie
    2022 video, Plough talks about Cole Wright getting playing time at Boise. Wright is now on the Davis roster.

• Riveraggie
    David Meyer now on Davis Roster
    - Graduate transfer (1 year eligibility)
    - 6’2 230lbs LB
    - All Conference LB
    The above info is from David's X account..Roster has him as.a redshirt.junior
  • CA Forever
    Anyone going to make it out to practices to get the first glimpses of the new shredville? I believe first day of practice is Wednesday
  • movielover
    David Meyer looks like a major get, led Cal Poly in tackles two years in a row. 60 total tackles last year, 38 solo, 1 FF and FR. 2 QBH. 4.5 sacks the prior year.

WE Wright had 2 catches in 2022 and none in 2023.
  • Riveraggie
    No question Meyer is the top.addition.. Not.only was he outstanding at this level, but he plays the position we.need to fill. The LB from Cal may be as good but he hasn't played as much at the higher level.
    Wright was apparently someone Plough saw potential in at Boise, and might have had more of a career there if Plough hadn't been fired. He was returning kick-offs.for them too. Now he .ends up here, coincidence..?
  • AggieFinn

No coincidence, the guy's going to play here if he measures up, plain an simple...and yes, looks like Plough knows him and has total confidence in his ability to get open and make plays.
  • Riveraggie
    Lan Larison is now listed at 215 lbs. That is up from the 199 in the roster prior 2 years.
    He weighed 208 in the data from the combine drills prior to last season.

A lot of the players added weight. Some of these guys probably have gained weight over two seasons, as the team is hit or miss in updating the roster.

Even Bearden is now 300 lb. Up from 251
    Zach Kennedy is now 275 lb up from 251
    Princeton Toki is now 375 lb up from 356

A 2024 freshman defensive lineman Mayo who was 285 on signing day is 320lb.
  • Riveraggie

They didn’t really burn Jordan Fisher’s redshirt year last year did they??
    His fifth game is listed as Northern Arizona where he had no attempts, no receptions. i think the stats are wrong.
  • Riveraggie
    Jalen Harris is not on the roster, the page for him was deleted.
    According to 247 he was our top recruit ever, not that that means much.
  • CA Forever
    I had noticed that as I was reading through the RB preview. Disappointing when a prospect ends up not working out. That being said, I think that Vargas from the same recruiting class is going to be a monster. His highlights reel is insane.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!