• CA Forever
    Well it was a fun 4 game stretch outscoring our opponents 216-57, but it's time to come back to reality because the Aggies are headed up to Moscow to take on the Vandals and they look totally rejuvenated with Jason Eck at the helm of the program.

The Vandals have a new face leading the offense in RFr QB Gevani McCoy. He's completed 156/232 passing attempts (67.24%) 2032 yards with 23 TDs and 5 INTs. McCoy has 2 guys who he really likes to target in RJr WR Jermaine Jackson and RSo Wr Hayden Hatten. Jackson has 780 receiving yards and 4 TDs on 40 receptions (19.5 avg) while Hatten has 716 yards and 12 TDs on 52 receptions (13.8 avg). Yes, you read that correctly in that Hatten currently has 12 receiving TDs; 4 more than his closest competition.

Idaho features several guys who can also do damage in the run game. Fr RB Anthony Woods has had the majority of snaps this season with 664 yards gained with 2 TDs on 118 attempts (5.5 avg). So RB Elisha Cummings and Sr RB Roshaun Johnson respectfully have 380 yards gained with 4 TDs on 67 attempts (5.3 avg) and 344 yards gained with 8 TDs on 88 attempts (3.8 avg).

The Vandals defensive leader shouldn't be a surprise as he has been a staple on their defense for years now and that is Sr LB Fa'Avae Fa'Avae. He currently has 77 total tackles, 4.5 TFLs, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble. Idaho has also had big defensive contributions from So DB Tommy McCormick with 4 INTs as well as 48 total tackles, RJr LB Paul Moala with 6 TFLs, 2 sacks, and 4 INTs, So DB Murvin Kenion III with 3 INTs, RSr DL Leo Tamba with 5 TFLs and 4 sacks, and So DL Kemari Bailey also with 5 TFLs and 4 sacks.

As a team, the Vandals are currently scoring 36.1 points per game while only allowing 23.2 points per game. They average 178.4 rushing yards per game and 244.4 passing yards per game. We might see another game where Gilliam is leaned on as Idaho only allows 191.8 passing yards per game. We'll have to see if Dan wants to test them or not.

We have only played 2 common opponents this season in Northern Arizona and Northern Colorado with both teams going 2-0 against those opponents. Davis beat NAU 56-27 with Idaho beating them 27-10. The Vandals beat UNC 55-35 with the Aggies beating them 58-10. Other notable scores: Idaho 17 Washington State 24, Idaho 30 Montana 23, Idaho 28 Sac State 31.

All-in-all, this is a much improved Idaho team compared to the last several years. They no doubt are going to be incredibly hungry to beat us as playoffs are still up for grabs and that Davis has won 3 straight against them. Massey is giving Idaho a 55% chance of winning this one. Hopefully we can get some of our guys can get healthy this week because I have a sinking feeling we're about to get punched in the jaw after playing weaker opponents for an extended amount of time.
  • CA Forever
    Also had to get this thread up early cause we usually get some visitors from the folks over on the Idaho forums. They're good guys, so here's to a good battle. We're both playing to get a spot in the playoffs.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I am going to the game on Saturday. If anyone has been to a Vandals game before, I am wondering if I park at the mall, will I get towed? I have been to a few Cougars games but no Vandals except for a WBB game last year when parking was free.
  • AggieFinn
    For all things Idaho Football related, check out Tubs at the Club on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/TubsatTheClub/videos

• CA Forever
    I always look forward to their preview of our game. You can tell that they actually know a thing or two about their opponent for the week which is more than you can say for some of the commentators in Big Sky broadcasts.
  • movielover
    The victories have been nice, but we rely a lot on UG. It still looks like our QBs underthrow our WRs. Hopefully we're saving some playbook wrinkles for the last two battles.
  • agalum

CA, thanks for your great reviews of the upcoming opponents. Its always a good read.
  • Riveraggie
    This is our fourth of five ranked opponents. If Idaho isn’t ranked by some they should be.
    According to Sagarin Idaho is 102, Davis is 104, sandwiched around Army.
    Not much separates these teams statistically. Both have similar stats passing, Davis runs the ball a little better, but Idaho has better run defense. Should be a close game, a must win for Davis,
  • DavisAggie
    Idaho is a consensus top-15
  • AggieFinn
    #80, big playmaker for Idaho, him and the QB seem to be on ESP waves.

• movielover
    Vandals only have one playoff caliber win - Montana?
  • rupertvandal
    I would say this is accurate, but I would also say Davis has zero. My prediction is that this comes down to the last possession. Should be a great game to watch.
  • CA Forever
    Welcome to the forum and I absolutely agree. The Aggies have come close in a couple of our really important match ups, but horseshoes and hand grenades. We have to win out to get a playoff spot and the Vandals and the Hornets on the road is a tall order.
  • movielover
    They've also battled some tough opponents to the wire.
  • Idaho Aggie
    I'll message you about parking.
  • Idaho Aggie
    I went to the Vandal game Saturday, and am looking forward to this game. The Vandals look good, and the Dome was packed. Helped that it was Parents' Weekend. I haven't seen so many people at a game in a long time.
  • AggieFinn
    Sounds like Eck coming back to Moscow was a little like Hawkins coming back to Davis. Programs were in disarray and underachieving, needed a strong coaching and recruiting presence with ties to the University to help pick it back up.
  • NCagalum
    Hayden Hatten is a big play receiver. If he is one on one the ball is going to him. He has made some big plays. Wonder if there is a specific plan to deal with him. Jam him at line of scrimmage? Cover 2 with safety help?
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    As a semi-local on the WA side, I'm happy to see Idaho doing well. Obviously I'll be rooting for the Ags, but if they lose it probably means Idaho is going to the playoffs. I love Moscow and try to go once a month. Go Ags, but I do like the Vandals too (my six year old son is all Cougars though).
  • BlueGoldAg
    Interesting post from the AGS Forum by a NDSU fan (Chalupa Batman):

UC Davis is probably one of the best 25 teams in the country, but their schedule hasn't done them any favors so far. They have played only really good teams so far, or really bad teams. Their 3 FCS losses are to teams currently ranked #1, #3, & #6 and a combined 24-2 against FCS teams (with those 2 losses by 8 combined points against the #1 & #3 teams). Their 5 wins are against teams a combined 9-29 against FCS teams (and 5 of those wins are among each other). Their schedule hasn't had any teams in the 20-50 range that would count as good/solid wins. It wouldn't change their playoff outlook if their wins were against better opponents but it would probably lead to them being ranked.

Of course next on tap for them are the #11 & #2 teams in the country. If Idaho wins out the Aggies will have played half of the final top 10. What a brutal schedule.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?317165-AGS-Poll-Results-2022-SEASON-Wk-10/page5
  • Riveraggie
    The Big Sky is an unusually tiered league this season. Six winning teams, all rated by Sagarin in the 60s, no teams rated in the fifties, six in the thirties and forties. The out of conference schedule was an FBS team, an FCS national power and a San Diego team not having a great year. Davis has pulled no upsets, nor been upset. In every game they’ve been an underdog or a heavy favorite.
  • movielover

We join Montana in being a middle of the pack Big Sky team. We need a solid victory, and good for us Sac isn't a typical away game with flights, elevation, frigid temps, maybe snow, etc.
  • lucche
    Montana seems to think they are.much better than Davis. But, they haven't beaten a team with a .500 record or played as difficult a schecule. As of right now we ate 1 place above them in the standings. So, the only way they can get a better record than <a href="http://us.is" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">us.is</a> to lode to both Idaho and Sac two ranked teams. So, I wouldn't think they have shown enough to be ranked. Just !one us right now.So the question becomes is a 7-4team !timely to get a playoff spot over an 8-3 Gross team?.. I happen to think so biased on strength of schedule, and the fact UCD will be higher on the league winning pet engage than the Grizz. Have soul d be 6'2 and the Gross 5-3
  • lucche
    Montana seems to think they are.much better than Davis. But, they haven't beaten a team with a .500 record or played as difficult a schecule. As of right now we ate 1 place above them in the standings. So, the only way they can get a better record than <a href="http://us.is" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">us.is</a> to lode to both Idaho and Sac two ranked teams. So, I wouldn't think they have shown enough to be ranked. Just !one us right now.So the question becomes is a 7-4team !timely to get a playoff spot over an 8-3 Gross team?.. I happen to think so biased on strength of schedule, and the fact UCD will be higher on the league winning percentage than the Grizz. UCD would be 6-2 and the Gross 5-3 in league.
  • movielover
    Maybe MBB Cal victory will add some confidence. We had 4 big men that didn't suit up and still won.
  • Riveraggie
    There is no middle in the Big Sky right now. Huge drop off from Montana to Portland State, although they both have three loses in conference. Davis isn’t in the middle yet, but will fall into that with another two losses.
  • DavisAggie
    The middle is basically Portland St and N. Ariz.
  • DavisAggie
    This issue not open to debate. Davis wins the next two and they're in. Montana beats MSU and they're ALSO in.
  • DavisAggie
    Numbers are off here
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!