• lucche
    If that happens the end of D1 sports in CA. UCD would have to drop back to D2, D3 or cut sports. Probably true also for UCB and UCLA
  • movielover
    Biggest effect would be on FBS schools.
  • AggieFinn2
    I'm on board with paying students for NIL. If a school is using you for marketing you deserve to get paid.

However this is such a stupid new bill. Do they honestly think all the universities are going to comply ? They will find ways to cheat or cut other sports to compensate.

So many of our CA lawmakers are idiots. With everything going on right now. with everything that is wrong with the state they're spending all this energy working on getting college athletes paid more ?
  • 69aggie
    I think movie is right on this. FBS could be worried a little about this bill, but not FCS. Until the Governor signs this into law we should not be upset and frankly I don’t see him signing it. Way too many unsettling issues here. Usually Governors don’t do this and Newsom is a very savvy political guy. So no reason for panic at this point. IMHO for what it is worth. Not much !
  • DrMike
    but it would effect our basketball teams, correct?
  • movielover
    I don't think we generate that much revenue. If we had lots of sellouts and went to the Final Four, maybe.
  • AggieFinn2
    I think football is the only UCD sport even remotely in danger of generating enough revenue to have to participate in this, and it's a long shot. Men's basketball couldn't even come close to a sellout when they hosted Stanford. Maybe they should should schedule Chico State. They've already demonstrated they're not afraid to schedule a D-II team.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!