• CA Forever
    http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/offense-emerges-in-second-ucd-scrimmage/

From Article:
    - While offense struggled in the first scrimmage, they lit it up in the 2nd.
    - JC transfer QB Jake Maier continued to run first team offense and threw four first half touchdowns (Montgomery, Skeptaris, Doss, Layton).
    - Freshman QB Jake Dunniway also threw three touchdowns (Skeptaris, Moore, Troy Spencer).
    - CB Isaiah Thomas says that the UCD offense is going to make defenses look silly this season. They have a lot of tricks up their sleeves.

From the Notes:
    - We're getting a new scoreboard! It has an LED screen that more than twice the size of the old screen. This was a much needed upgrade. The screen that they put in when the stadium was built was already behind the times.
    - CJ Spencer and Culberson were out this week, but Hawkins insists that they are ok.
  • BlueGoldAg
    That's exciting news about the new scoreboard. It was hard for us to see the video replays clearly from our seats in section 124. So this year we moved our seats to section 120 and, now with the new "monster" scoreboard, the screen will be huge for us!
  • aggie6thman
    It's not just a new video board, it is a new scoreboard. The only remaining piece is the "Aggie Stadium" piece at the top.
  • 69aggie
    Any comments as to whether or why the CB's were playing too far off the receivers? Just an observation from someone who was there, not me. Maybe Hawk is juicing up the offense for the media a bit. Not really a good idea if so. On a more positive note, I think having Spencer now available as a slot who can throw the ball and catch the ball makes for some interesting plays for Hawk. Options everywhere for a very athletic player.
  • CA Forever
    I wasn't there, but that may have been a contributing factor as to why the QB's were lighting up the defense. Sounds like Hawk plans on using Spencer in a wide variety of roles. I wonder if we're going to see some wildcat this season? I know Hawkins has mentioned before that our offense is going to be fast paced and lots of passing. A welcomed change to what Gould was trying to do at least in my opinion.
  • movielover
    A change from the "see ball, get ball", as Hawkins said, is quite welcome. Has to improve our odds a bit. ... I'd also love to see Leota in the mix ... a goal line FB who could throw?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Bigger scoreboard = more shade in the south endzone. :D
  • PortlandAggie
    Any picture of the bigger scoreboard available?
  • aggie6thman
    Not sure if we entire scoreboard will be bigger or just the video board.

The framework was still up from the previous layout and it didn't look like it was going to be bigger. Today it might have changed, not sure.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Just taken from the parking lot
    tttz605ms7v25eu1.jpg
  • CA Forever
    I don't even care if the actual size of the scoreboard is the same, but the fact that we're getting a higher quality and much larger video screen is critical. The old screen had a weird aspect ratio and was incredibly low quality for when it was built.

In my opinion, Blue is making changes that make us look like a legitimate athletics program.
  • movielover
    Possibly (originally) a budget issue? Do we know if the alumni raised all the money required, or did ICA t take out a loan to finish Aggie Stadium?
  • CA Forever
    I'm not sure where the funds came for this upgrade, but the original issues were almost certainly budgetary. They were cutting corners all over the place to get Aggie Stadium opened and have been slowly fixing things over the years.
  • movielover
    I hope they add a few of the smaller additions... benches on the way in or near concessions so older people have a place to rest or tie their shoes.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Shade structures over the west-facing concessions would be nice, too.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Shade structures and trees anywhere in the areas outside the stadium along with picnic tables would be a blessing. Actually, anything that creates shade for the hot days inside and outside the stadium would be wonderful.
  • movielover
    +3 Dr. Blue has done great with these larger moves, I'm hoping maybe some of these softer inexpensive moves he'll spring on us.... a few trees (please not the size of a bush), picnic tables, benches, misters for the first few games... easy victories.

So glad we can bring food in!!
  • aggie6thman
    Aren't the grass areas in the corners of the upper walkway already pre-poured for the planned-but-might-never-happen expansion of Aggie Stadium? If that's the case the only trees that would be able to grow would be those outside the fence. If lights weren't installed due to te increase in construction costs I don't think fully grown trees are in the budget either. Those things are expensive!
  • movielover
    Facebook has announced it will livestream 15 college football games this year, and includes our UC Davis Aggies vs San Diego State.

My guess is that this will be a lot more exposure than going to bigsky.com.

I wonder if you have to be a registered user to view, and can sportsbars televise it?
  • CA Forever
    Where'd you see this? I live on the east coast now so I'm going to have to rely on streams.
  • Bige70
    I think the FB live stream announcement is actually huge news. From what I've read that's the future for sports broadcasting, and we're on the leading edge. Another good move by our young creative AD.
  • Zander
    While Blue is doing a great job it's worth noting this is a MWC thing and it's likely UCD had little say in it.

You may need a Facebook account to stream, but it's quick to sign up. You don't have to make any info public if you only want to create a dummy account to stream.

I think sports bars might have a little trouble streaming this if they don't have a computer hooked up to the tv. I'm pretty sure the grad does have that setup but I don't know if that's exactly common.
  • Bige70
    I am quick to praise Kevin, but in any case a lot of people who have no affiliation with UCD or SDSU will see some portion of the game just because of the novelty. That's not bad (unless they see us getting taken to the woodshed).
  • movielover
    A simple google search revealed it. It's been posted by the San Diego Union, Washington Post, TechCrunch, Denver Post, etc. One site says these games are Facebook exclusive.

Aztecs have a 6'5" R Frosh WR who studded out at their intrasquad game, Isiah Macklin.
  • Zander
    Highly doubt Aggies will be taken to the woodshed. SDSU's offense isn't built to run up the score and I think/hope that Hawk's offense will be explosive enough to move the chains against even good defenses.

I expect the game to stay relatively close for the first quarter or two until State starts wearing the Aggie defense down and pulls ahead by a couple of TDs. Of course soon after that Long will pull Penny (if he hasn't already) and then later the entire first string.

This is of course the "no new cases of chicken pox" scenario. Anything goes if that comes back.
  • movielover
    Aren't they ranked #25 in the nation?
  • CA Forever
    AP has them receiving votes, but not in the top 25. This will be a tough task for the Aggies for sure, but I'm hoping Hawkins air raid offense can keep it close.
    http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fbs
  • Zander
    SDSU finished #25 last year and got as high as #19 but voters are unconvinced this year after graduations at RB, OL, the D in general. Ironically Pumphrey leaving is probably the least problematic thing for SDSU but it's the change that voters are probably aware of the most.
  • movielover
    First game 7 days away.

Coach Long may start 5 Freshmen, RFreshmen, and / or players who've never started for the Aztecs. One a DB, one the 6'5" wideout.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!