• agalum
    As the drought persists, i listened to a meteorologist with the National Weather Service who discussed water allocations and fire predictions. This guy was not your run of the mill weatherman. He said to be braced for a severe fire season. Made me start wondering whether athletics is considering a contingency plan for smoke? Remember the Reno trip? Maybe there are just too many variables to have alternate sites lined up, but hopefully there are at least discussions. Does UOP still have a football stadium?
  • 72Aggie
    UOP tore down their stadium. It was in pretty bad shape and refitting it would be too expensive, particularly if the school no longer had football.

The site now houses a tennis facility and soccer pitch. It was the home field for UOP's short lived field hockey team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagg_Memorial_Stadium
  • movielover
    Maybe someday we'll get back to proper forest management. Governor Newsom's office dramatically mistated (lied) about the projects completed last year.

Building out the full Sites Reservoir would help. (Offstream $5.2B reservoir project west of Colusa.)
  • agalum

Yeah, my farmer friends were lobbying for that reservoir 20 years ago.

72, too bad the UOP stadium isn't an option. But back to the point, I hope athletics is being proactive on possibilities. I suppose one possibility is making smoked out home games “away” games to the opponents stadium.
  • 72Aggie
    Not sure UOP would have been a viable alternative even with a stadium. A couple of years ago (or more) at the height of one of our smokier periods my wife and I were traveling to Yosemite from Sacramento and the smoke was as bad, or worse, in Stockton as it had been in Sacramento.
  • agalum
    Movie, i just returned from our escape pad in a remote area of Lassen county. I havent been there since early November in the car (usually fly). The amount of clearing was huge. All the brush and burned trees have been removed along 36. Maybe this management is forced by the fire scars, but I’ve never seen so much activity up there.
  • movielover
    Good news, lots of delayed maintenance.
  • DrMike
    I think when we played in Reno, we were looking at spots like Monterrey Pennisula College. That wouldn’t have been viable in 2020. Might have to give up a home game
  • blueforce
    Sure would be nice if our UC relatives at Cal would lend us their stadium when they're away. They could use some extra cash to pay off that monster loan.
  • Riveraggie
    Kezar stadium has fresher air.
  • 72Aggie
    "Kezar stadium has fresher air."

It had fresh air during the "Summer of Love" and the Haight-Ashbury days.
  • MTBAggie
    I visited Kezar recently. We were there the day they dedicated the field to Bob St. Clair. He played HS, college and NFL football all on the same field.

aoxog30fkqjpvpo6.jpg
    3dy8on67or81qrsr.jpg
  • DrMike
    that 51 USF team he played on has to be in the top 5 most talented teams ever. 3 NFL hall of famers of that team! St. Clair, Ollie Matson, Dick Stanfel and Antioch's own Gino Marchetti. I believe 4 others on that team played in the NFL. crazy
  • MTBAggie
    Can't forget Burl Toler. He got injured after being drafted and never played in the NFL. But he was the first African American NFL referee. His grandson is (was?) a coach at Cal.
  • NewGuy
    Coach Burl Toler III was also the receivers coach on Hawk's 2017 (1st year) staff.
  • Riveraggie
    Kezar Stadium now has about the same capacity as Aggie field.
    What a historic place. Home field at different times for USF, Saint Mary’s, Santa Clara, the 49ers and the Raiders.
  • 72Aggie
    St. Mary's and Santa Clara used to pack Kezar for the Little Big Game.
  • AggieFinn2
    Kezar Stadium was also in a "Dirty Harry" movie with Clint Eastwood. I want to say it was the first one.
  • Riveraggie
    yes, that’s right. But they tore the 59000 seat stadium down and replaced it with a 10,000 seat one, so it’s not the cavernous place in the movie.
  • NCagalum
    My one and only attended NFL game was at Kezar when I was a kid. Zeke Bratkowski was filling in for an injured Bart Starr. Maybe 1964. Don’t even remember who won the game. We were on the giant end zone. I do remember a bunch of seat cushions being thrown down to the field after the game. Must have been rentals.

And yes, have seen the Dirty Harry movie with the scene in Kezar with fog. Classic.
  • 69aggie
    Kezar games were a blast. In those days the Niners were not very good. Saw Brodie intercepted four times against the cowboys. Go to the kezar pub close by and watch the players drive home. Applaud them from the sidewalk and they all would smile and wave back. YA Title was absolutely the fan favorite. Legend has it that after a particularly bad loss he pulled over to the sidewalk and asked for a roader beer. Great guy and still with us I think. Those were the days. . . . .
  • 72Aggie
    Tittle passed away in 2017, a few weeks short of his 91st birthday. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y._A._Tittle
    He was involved in some sort of summer camp for boys in the north bay area, possibly in the southern part of Sonoma County. My parents sent me there the summer after I was in 6th grade. That might have been the last year he had anything to do with the camp because it was about the time he was traded to the Giants. He was only at the camp on weekends. I met him the first weekend and out of the blue he looks at me and tells me he expects me to keep another camper from getting homesick. Week went by without any problems, and on the following weekend Tittle asks the kid something and for the first time the other kid ever got sad and weepy. Then Tittle rolls his eyes at me. I recall him standing on whatever passed for a football field at the camp and throwing footballs through tires suspended from goal posts that seemed like they were a mile away.
  • 69aggie
    72 thanks. But I consider myself a forty ninner junkie as well. Grew up in Palo Alto and mowed the lawn of the great Leo Nomellini. Huge guy and pro wrestling guy, but the kindest guy on the front porch you would ever know. Hey kid! I got cokes for you. Everyone love that guy. YA is a legend and I met him as well in his Atherton home in an audacious knock on the door meeting with my audacious best, friend , jim schwartz, expecting to be cast out and no, YA took us in and was a gracious host to two 16 year olds who could not even speak in his presence. My god, what NFL guy would even do that now?
  • AggieFinn
    Rain Sunday/Monday! Yay
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!