• SochorField
    http://vacavilleinsider.com/sports/mark-johnson.php
    We need to get this winner back somehow.

I know Hawkins would probably have his own guys, but this would be neat.....

Dan Hawkins HC
    Troy Taylor OC
    Mark Johnson DC
    Jeff Copp assistant
    Tim Plough assistant
    Keane assistant

Copp and Plough are at NAU
    Mark Johnson, last I heard, is at Woodland Christian right up the road
  • CA Forever
    I'm not very knowledgeable about quality of assistant coaches, but those top 3 look awesome.
  • DrMike

encouraged to see so many former players on the list, spanning several decades. good to see blue reaching out; that's sorely been missing in the past.
  • agalum
    I'm not so sure Hawkins fits the mold that Blue proposes. He just seems too outspoken. The video posted earlier is a good example. Are we looking for the soft spoken polite gentlemen, Sochor comes to mind as an example, or the kick ass coach who calls it like it is?
  • movielover
    We're looking for a winner.

Note to Enterprise: Hawkins is not an "ex-Aggie", he's an Aggie.
  • aggie6thman
    I wouldn't be surprised if Blue had all of these people lined up before he pulled the trigger on firing Gould. It would be a lot harder to set up that list in a day or so unless they knew they would be called into action.
  • aggie6thman
    I'm old school when it comes to coaching so I have no problem with someone who is going to kick down the door. I think we need someone who is going to call it like he sees it.

Then again, we have the track record of mild mannered coaches at UCD...
  • zythe

Wow...that's getting me fired up!
  • True Blue Aggie
    I profoundly second the "note to Enterprise". (Y)
  • DrMike
    O'Brien was at the game on Saturday as Blue's guest, which is the first time I've seen him since the 2014 causeway. Soi think this was in the works for a little
  • 72Aggie
    Sorry, it's been a long time since I studied contracts, but I still act like I am being paid by the word.
  • aggie6thman
    Nobody will ever admit it and I'm ok with that. If anything it shows Blue does have a plan and was/is aware of the current state of the program. He is going to listen to former players and alums, especially after they were virtually left out of the discussion when Gould was hired.
  • aggie6thman
    Billable hours, 72. I know how it works! (Y) :-$
  • DrMike
    i'm fine with it also; i think he had made his decision awhile back and is hitting the ground running. much difference than the last coaching search. guys like nick alexander (ucla) and o'brien (usc) went on to coach at major universities, so i don't think they will fall into the 'we were smaller and slower back in our day, but we overcame it with Aggie Pride' mindset. i've talked with both and they see that some changes need to be made before any coach can be successful.
  • GunRockFaceMask
    I know ZERO about this young man other than from reading his full resume. He's moved from position to position as a coach. (Like he's grooming himself to advance) Wth Sumlin being only 44, the only way to move up is to move on. He's a Stanford kid, the scholar/athlete thing, he gets! About the same age as his fellow Stanford alum Dr. Blue!.....just sayin
    Attachment
    Screenshot_2016-11-25-10-00-33-1 (222K)
  • oldschool
    No coordination or head coaching experience scares me. He's got significantly less experience than Daft, whose name hasn't come up but who at least deserves some consideration if we are going to go young.
  • GunRockFaceMask
    Oldschool,
    I agree with your well taken point!
    I was just tossing a long shot name for thoughts! His connection to Dr. Blue is the main reason. Same school, same age, both seem ambitious, ect
  • movielover

Daft after the last 4 years...???
  • goaggs1
    GunRock, I agree with your assessment on Sumlin. He seems to be a good fit. Given the lack of creativity within the Davis offense over the past few years, I don't think Daft is a good choice. This program needs a refreshed outlook and foundation offensively to succeed. The talent has not been utilized effectively. There are some dynamic TEs in the Davis program that could help to reshape the offensive scheme but we need new and creative vision to move forward.
  • oldschool
    I don't know how much authority Daft had over the play calling or offensive system/schemes. I'm simply pointing out that, on paper, he has strong Davis roots and a more significant resume than others who are being mentioned.
  • GunRockFaceMask
    Coach Daft ran the offense & called the plays.
  • movielover
    ugh...how much of that was daft, and how much was essentially dictated by Gould? Either way, not effective.
  • aggie6thman
    Great summary of our earlier blog post! ;)
  • CA Forever
    Article put together by Bruce and Dunning, a good number of Aggies from the past weigh in on the coaching situation and what the program should do going forward.

http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggie-nation-weighs-in-on-what-football-needs/

Another new article from Bruce, still just another summary of what we already know.

http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/blue-spells-it-out-for-aggie-football-future/
  • movielover
    I have to think position coaches are an automatic 'no go'...though the ewu coach sounds like an excellent choice for potential OC.

I'd still like to hear Daft explain our strategy and struggles, cause Gould and Bruce ain't giving no insight. ...and we recruited speed for 3 years. ...Boy that Weber loss looms huge...baseline Wins should have been 4....

Will Blue let Foster talk to the press?
  • ucdavisaggie05
    I enjoyed the comments from Eason (clear and to the point) and Silverfoote. Assuming the academics are there, that should be the goal.
  • SlimKim
    After following this coaching change idea over the last month, I also thought that a position coach coming in is not the right move for us, but looking long term, I like the idea of Troy Taylor or Angus McClure. They both have their strengths and feel they both would really succeed here.

In the end, I would give the nod to Angus McClure, due to the fact that he has all the tools. Offense, Defense, Recruiting and he has been at UCLA for 10 years. The Sac State Alumni status is a bit of a question mark, but could play out as a great "storyline" and recruiting edge. I have a friend in the Athletic Department at UCLA that has a very high regard for Coach Angus and thinks he is being targeted by a lot of programs.

Just my two cents!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Welcome to the forum, SlimKim!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!