• movielover
    Froggys or The Grad for after the game beer / food? Or something better?
  • BlueGoldAg
    It was hard to tell just how many were in the stadium since so many fans packed the north end zone, grass area to get out of the sun. I've never seen that area so full. Their were 3 sections of students on the west side and, to their credit, most of them stuck it out despite the heat and the sun in their eyes. I wonder what capacity is?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Some states:

Total yards: ISU 562 Aggies 532
    Rushing: ISU 243 Aggies 150
    Passing: ISU 319 Aggies 382
    QB's: Tanner Geller 19 - 30; Jake Maier 40 -51
    Receiving: Mitch Geller 8 for 175; Doss 13 for 131 and Harrell 9 for 97
    Rushing: James Madison 13 for 151; Gilliam 20 for 99

Tanner Geller throwing to his brother Mitch was a thing of beauty and we just couldn't stop them. They are a sensational combo.

Great comeback by the Ags to win against a very good team.
  • movielover
    We had 4 sacks. Jamison and Baumgart 1 each, Mason Moe 2!

Redshirt Freshman linebacker Montell Bland led the team w 9 tackles, 6 solo!

We don't seem to throw many deep or even medium routes. Some fans where I was sitting were tired of seeing handoffs up the middle to Gilliam over and over, many stopped dead. Until it seems we were forced to air it out.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Gilliam had 99 yards on 20 carries though and that's 5 yards a pop average which is pretty darn good.
  • agalum
    Some fans where I was sitting were tired of seeing handoffs up the middle to Gilliam over and over, many stopped dead. Until it seems we were forced to air it out.

Same with our group. It was reminiscent to Gould’s play calling.
  • movielover
    Play calling seemed predictable. No bubble screen, no naked bootleg, you know, change it up.

But it seems like Northern Colorado prompted us to work on our 2-point game.

Joshua Kelley: 157 yds, 3 TDs in UCLA win over Berkeley.
  • DrMike
    Our news release called it a capacity crowd, 10700. And they saw an epic game
  • BlueGoldAg
    The official stats page shows 10,849. They could certainly get more in there too. There was room in the stands and the south end zone. Nice to see lines at the concessions too.
  • Toke69
    I never give up on the Aggies. I learned that lesson the hard way back in 1971 when I went to Hayward for Football game in which the Aggies were down by 15 points with about 3 minutes left in the game, I told my friends that UCD's cause was lost so we might as well leave. As we were driving out we heard a roar and we could glance back and see that the Ags had scored touchdown, but I knew they needed a 2 point conversion, successful onside kick, another TD and another 2 point conversion so I kept on going. When I got back to Davis, my friends there who had heard the game were telling me how lucky I was to be there. My expression told them all they needed to know about what I missed. I guess that game with Bob Biggs at QB is now a legend. I have never left, stopped watching or given up on any Aggie sport since then.
  • DrMike
    you left the ‘Miracle Game’ early? Yikes

On a day they were honoring Mike Bellotti (a miracle game hero), we pull this one off! I think we’ll look back at this game like us old guys looked at the Miracle Game -> the start of a new era
  • BlueGoldAg
    Sorry you missed that one, Toke69. That game is THE all-time Aggie miracle for sure.
  • 72Aggie
    My father graduated from a Big Ten school. I have sat with him on snow covered bleachers and listened as he told fans who were flocking out of the stadium where the result was long since decided and the thermometer was approaching zero that the game's not over yet. Flash forward some years and he has moved to the Bay Area and adopted Cal as his college team of convenience. He left ONE game early...right after John Elway marched Stanford down field for a go ahead score. He left to move the family car for a post game tailgate. As he walked to the car he heard the crowd cheer...seems the Bears had taken the kick-off and proceeded to lateral ...well you know.
  • zythe
    The Seahawks should have run the ball...

[If we are reliving painful past sports related memories I might as well throw this one in there]
  • BlueGoldAg
    That was the wildest ending to a college football game ever!
  • BlueGoldAg
    “The guys are a little beat up,” ISU defensive coordinator Roger Cooper said in a postgame radio interview. “They forgot what it's like to lose and it's hitting them pretty hard. It's tough to see. But, it just really shows you how much they care and how much opportunity is still ahead of us to win a lot of games.”

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/sports/isu/isu-football-bengals-blow-leads-in---overtime-loss/article_7cf76f90-3455-545c-be5a-fc9ebbd87491.html
  • Zander
    What are we going to call this? I'm kind of partial to the Miracle in Gray
  • Aggie96
    I'm still in shock that we won this game. ISU looked and played like the hungrier team for most of the game. And for us to roll off 22 unanswered to win is just stunning. Honestly have not felt like this since Sept 17, 2005.
  • CA Forever
    At risk of sounding like a sore winner, here's my post about Tanner Gueller's stats including the results from our game.

vs Western State Colorado University (who???)
    - 17/27, 213 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

vs Cal
    - 15/23, 179 yards (63 came on 1 pass), 1 TD, 1 INT

vs North Dakota
    - 16/31, 293 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

vs NAU
    - 15/32, 179 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

vs Idaho
    - 19/30, 492 yards, 8 TD, 0 INT

vs UC Davis
    - 19/30, 319 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT

He had a good game especially throwing to Mitch Gueller, but overall a little bit of coming back down to reality. University of Idaho is just bad this season and the Aggies were the Bengals toughest match up of the season so far. I think it's also worth noting that Gueller was held to 2 yards rushing considering he was their leading rusher against Idaho.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Bengals though. They played an incredibly tough game and despite losing should solidly be in the FCS top 25. Their run game was very impressive to say the least.
  • 72Aggie
    I have criticized the Bee for its decline in coverage of local college sports, so should acknowledge this morning that the Bee’s website ran AP articles on both the UCD and CSUS games, and that the print edition ran an article on the Davis game, attributed to “Bee Sports Staff.”

The Davis game:
    https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article220006545.html

The Sac State game:
    https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article220007880.html
  • Kerberos
    Some thoughts about the game:

- Hands down the best game I've been to at Aggie Stadium (Toomey too, but I only had one year of Toomey as a student). The crowd, the competitiveness, the comeback, the win, and the stakes at play all made it an instant classic. It's so nice to see us be able to win these types of games when just a couple seasons ago they'd be blowouts or heartbreaking losses / moral victories.

- Having said that, we really dodged a bullet when their freshman kicker missed the biggest FG of his young career so far. ISU had the game within their grasps multiple times throughout the night and just couldn't deliver the knockout punch (that kick, not stopping us on 4th down in OT, allowing 2 two point conversions, not capitalizing on our turnovers, etc.). We didn't play our best game to get to that last play in regulation and need to clean up a lot.

- Our punting and kicking game is atrocious. That one punt that went right more than it went forward stands out in my mind, or the kickoff that got flagged for going out of bounds and put them at the 40 yard line. There's a saying that defense wins games but special teams wins championships, and bad special teams play will hold us back in our search for a BSC title or in making a run in playoffs if we get there.

- That decision to go for it on 4th and 2 in the first overtime possession... GUTSY!! I don't think I've ever seen that in all the OT games of college football I've watched. But, it makes sense given how the ISU offense just marched down the field in under a minute to set up a game winning FG. Hawk probably knew that if we won, it would be because we got 7 points to win in OT1 or go to OT2 and not because we traded FGs in OT1 (unlikely that two such powerful offenses would both leave OT1 without a touchdown). And of course their kicker just missed a game winning FG, so even if we didn't get the conversion we could still rely on him to bail us out again. Still, what a huge call.

- The significance of this win can't be overstated. Beyond the conference and playoff implications, we were also finally able to give a capacity crowd (which really got into the game when we started mounting our comeback) a good game and a win on top of that. Think of all the freshmen or new fans who came and stayed for this classic and will very likely return for future games. I've lost count of all the times that huge crowds (typically the first game of the academic year like this one) have turned out only to see us get demolished or lose in a heartbreaking fashion ... not good for fan morale! Then of course there's the impact this win will have on the team and its ability to believe in the mentality that no game is ever out of reach, no matter how up or down you are. I'm sure we'll need that as we enter the more difficult part of our schedule (and beyond?).

- Speaking of the home crowd, I was pretty impressed how loud the stadium got near the end of the game. There were some really odd decisions from athletics in this regard though. For example, sending Gunrock out to the field and rally the crowd late in the 4th. This was great to see, but we happened to have been on a big offensive drive and the crowd noise from this cool stunt remained noticeably louder even as our team was lining up for the snap. Shouldn't we wait for a timeout while we're on defense to send Gunrock out to rally the crowd? Also, our crowd always gets the loudest when there's free things being thrown at it. Why can't we throw free stuff before or during key defensive downs? I've always wondered about this ... is it that we can't announce it on the PA?

- What a game. I can't believe how quickly Hawk has turned our program around, and we're only halfway through his second year. Last night was a huge milestone in our return to relevance and I'm just so excited to see how far this program will continue to ascend. Go Ags!
  • CA Forever
    - What a game. I can't believe how quickly Hawk has turned our program around, and we're only halfway through his second year. Last night was a huge milestone in our return to relevance and I'm just so excited to see how far this program will continue to ascend. Go Ags!Kerberos

This is something I have been thinking about a lot this season. Think about where the football program and athletics in general were 2 years ago. With Kevin Blue at the helm and bringing in Hawk it is truly amazing how quickly we are turning things around.
  • Bige70
    @Kerberos well said; totally agree with your post.
  • movielover
    Agreed. Fantastic evening. ...and where would we be without Doss?

Can't figure out why the offensive slowdown after the first TD, bc I'm completely open to a convincing win in regulation. ... Their QB, WRs, and RB are legit.

I'm not sure if its age, but driving home, that connector road from Hwy 80 to Hwy 680 not fun at night. No lights, missing road reflectors, wind. I'll think twice about having a bite after a game. Not good.

Dr. Mike, catch the game on Pluto?
  • BlueGoldAg
    The whole greater Sacramento to the East Bay and the greater Bay Area is becoming a congested, driving nightmare more and more... :sad:
  • NCagalum
    LOL! My wife called me Friday to ask if we want tickets to the symphony that friends couldn’t use my reply was “well what do you want to do”. She said “go of course!” When she asked why I didn’t seem more enthusiastic, I said “I’ll miss the game”. She replied, we’ll you can watch it Sunday can’t you? End of discussion. Was convinced the Ags were out of it when I checked the stats board at intermission and down by 16 well into the 3rd quarter. Imagine my surprise this morning - and I can recommend a live performance of “Appalachian Spring”. Had to suffer through one of those obligatory modern pieces. Looking forward to stress free watching when it’s spooled up for rerun on bigskytv.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Are there reruns on bigskytv? I was at the game but I'd like to watch it again.
  • movielover
    Here are the highlights from Idaho State, the visiting team ... none for the Ags?

https://youtu.be/cG2oqhT8jGA
  • NCagalum
    yes there are. You just have to use the back arrow to go back in history one day at a time and it will list the events for that day as a “replay”. Nothing up yet for the ISU game - I think it takes s few days before it’s put up and linked to a server. I am hoping that since it won’t be a live stream it will be much more stable.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!