• movielover
    I didn't know he was a rookie to the game at Davis.
  • 69aggie
    Yes, and an interesting backstory. If my memory serves(?) he was actually recruited by Biggs wife while they were both attending the same church in davis. “Why don’t you play football? She said.” As he was a star soccer player. So he did try out. He was a great player with outstanding speed. Single handily beat sac in 2001-3(?) at Hughes in the rain catching a ball from O’Sullivsn for the lone TD of the game. Hope he recovers 100%. Great guy. Someone must have a better memory of this than me,
  • BlueGoldAg
    I believe the TD pass he caught was something like 90 yards in a driving rainstorm, mud bowl game at Hughes Stadium. Ojo had never played football before he went to UCD because his father his father forbade him from playing in high school..

You are right about how he became a great receiver at UCD. As a Davis student he met Biggs wife, Diane, at church and he told her he wanted to try and play football and she told him to go and talk to her husband. He went from being entirely raw to being one of the great receivers in Aggie history. He was drafted in 2001 by the New Orleans Saints in the 5th round.

Here's a great article about his journey from a kid who never played football in high school to playing for the Ags:

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/knapp/article/Ask-and-You-Shall-Receive-Davis-WR-began-road-3327635.php
  • Goags20172
    I was at that game too. If memory serves, didn't that game end on a sack of Ricky Ray, 10- 6 ? That would've been 2000. 2001 was at SAC State. 2002 was at Hughes again, and I remember it didn't rain that time.
  • movielover
    Great article.... I read elsewhere he now has 5 children, and he made $186,000 as a police officer (plus benefits).

What were the games like at Hughes? Track make the game less?
  • eastcoastag
    I was at that game in 2000 as well. I was soaked by the end of the game but it was worth it. Was there in 2002 also. The 2000 game started a streak of 11 years of flying out for at least one football game. My last game was the debacle at N Colorado a few years ago.
  • Goags20172
    Games at Hughes Stadium are like stepping back in time to the 60''s or 70's (or earlier), everything from the seats to the ticket booths to the concessions. This sort of follows since it hosted the Sacramento Solons baseball team in the 60's, and that might have been the last time major upgrades were made. The stadium is much older than that, however.

As for the game experience I remember hard, uncomfortable benches with no back support. I remember UCD had excellent student attendance, but the SAC State students mostly couldn't be bothered to show up. That was perfectly evident when people were poking fun at the SAC State band + Sac State in general, and no one objected. Don't remember even noticing the track. Of course I only attended two Causeway Classics there (2000 and 2002), so the experience may have been different other times. One thing I'll say is that the crowd for the 2000 game could've fit into Toomey, was not close to a sell- out on account of the weather.

The 2000 game was such a rainy mess that people were standing on the seats. I couldn't believe the nerve of this security guard who singled me out to ask not to stand on the seat. I said, "Look, I can't see the game if I don't. You want me to sit down, you tell all these other jerks to get off the seats. I paid to see this game, not a bunch of other people's butts." He left me alone after that. Typical security guard crowd control tactic they must teach on day one- pick someone you think is a pushover and exert control over them so you look impressive, and the rest fall in line. No way, Jose.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I only attended one game at Hughes and can't remember the year. It was pretty much like Goags20172 described. It had an old time vibe similar, but much smaller in feel, to Cal's old Memorial Stadium. The turf was always worn out since Sac City College used it and many high school games were played there each year when it still used to rain in California. They have made improvements over the years including installing artificial turf in 2012.

The stadium was built in 1928 and has a capacity of 20,311. The 2000 "mud bowl" Causeway game was the worst field conditions I've ever seen. I wasn't there but the game was televised. According to Wikipedia the "wind and rain was so strong that a UC Davis punt actually flew backwards during the game." The stadium has been the venue for many professional Sacramento area sports teams over the years and for concerts and even boxing and racing. Pink Floyd played there on April 20, 1988 before 27,000 fans.

Interesting read here about all the different events and sports teams that have used Hughes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_C._Hughes_Stadium
  • Goags20172
    You know, I was going to say it reminded me of that CAL football game I saw in the late 80's.

Whoever was responsible for choosing the location for Hughes Stadium was an unintentional genius. When Sacramento extended its Light Rail South in 2003 the City College stop went right in front of the stadium. Very convenient, unfortunately too late to be useful for Causeway Classics, as I believe the 2004 and 2006 games were not played there.

Like any small campus City College's athletic facilities are pretty bunched together. Union Stadium (baseball) is right across the street. Softball is right next to baseball. It really weirded me out when I was watching baseball + heard the pa system announcing the players in the softball game as clear as day. Nice ballpark, but some of the best seating sections are off limits.

One strange thing about City College. If you wait in the train station at night you are treated to the constant croaking of frogs.
  • 69aggie
    Well i love frogs. But when Ojo caught that pass in the 6” of rain, i bet he thought to step over the frogs. Go Ojo!!!! Pass this on. . . .
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!