• AggieFinn
    Well, I'm interested to see what he can do with that program. The big thing he brings to the program is recruiting, but all those big time recruits who went to Jackson State, I'm curious how many would qualify academically at Colorado. Feels a little like switching from Weber State to UC Davis or Cal Poly....(or Eastern Washington to Cal Poly)...it's going to be very, very different.

To provoke change, Sanders will need to overcome the antiquated infrastructure and significant obstacles that have spiraled Colorado to college football irrelevancy.

Colorado's strict transfer policies and lack of NIL infrastructure have been significant obstacles in recent years. Many of Colorado's best players, including potential first-round cornerback Christian Gonzalez (Oregon), left via the transfer portal after last season.
  • 88Aggie
    What about all the noise Jackson made about his mission to return the HBCU teams to former greatness. All the recruits he sold on that plan. Now he leaves all those 4 and 5 star recruits on their own while he moves to the DI stage he talked them out of. Seems a little hypocritical.
  • BlueGoldAg
    There is that...I wonder if he will also take quite a few of those 4 and 5 star recruits with him to Colorado via the portal.
  • movielover
    He earned it, and Colorado needs him.
  • movielover
    He's bringing luggage (transfers?).
  • MTBAggie
    I think he said 10 kids, including his son at QB.
  • movielover
    I wonder how Jacksonville feels about that?

His son is 6'2", a Soph, and threw 36 TDs this year.

Do we ever go back to the old transfer rules where kids sit one year?
  • MTBAggie
    He also said his daughter is transferring to CU and will play basketball there (currently on the Jackson St. roster). I watched a few videos on YouTube last night. I think in the one above, Deion wasn't shy about telling the kids sitting in those chairs that many of them won't be on the team next year, especially the kids that didn't bother showing up for that meeting/introduction.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Jackson St. (in Jackson, MS), not Jacksonville St. (in Jacksonville, AL).
  • NCagalum
    What about all the noise Jackson made about his mission to return the HBCU teams to former greatness. All the recruits he sold on that plan. Now he leaves all those 4 and 5 star recruits on their own while he moves to the DI stage he talked them out of. Seems a little hypocritical.

Well I guess in coach ' speak “I’m leaving”. Not sure I like his style a bit rehearsed in Baptist preacher mode and hard to tell what is sincere. I am sure he will improve the program, but it’s going to be a while if ever to crack into the top 3 of PAC-n although will be easier with the LA schools leaving.
  • movielover
    He's probably bringing a lot of those 4 and 5 star recruits. Bring 10, sign 10 new kids, and get 10 from the portal.
  • cmt
    I've never thought it was fair that a coach can spend all this time recruiting kids to the school/program but they can just up and leave for the next job without sitting out a year while the kids, some of whom came to play for that coach, would be forced to sit out a year if they want to transfer.

Maybe that means you make the rule that if a coach leaves, the players can then leave without sitting out a year. Even that would be much better than the system we had a few years ago.
  • movielover
    Interesting idea.
  • DrMike
    that is the rule now whether the coach leaves or not, correct. Used to be that for grad transfers, now it’s for anyone via transfer portal.

‘ Transferring -- and using the portal, which launched in the fall of 2018 -- has become a staple of college football, even more so after the NCAA eliminated a rule in April 2021 that required transfers to sit out a year at their new university. The rule granted them a one-time waiver to transfer without penalty and with immediate eligibility, and it opened the floodgates of player movement: 1,695 FBS players entered the portal in the 2019-20 cycle, and that number increased to 3,085 in 2021-22.’
  • cmt
    Correct. I'm fine with the current rule of giving the players the ability to transfer once without the penalty of losing a year of eligibility. I was just giving what I thought was a more fair alternative to how the rules used to be.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!