• AggieFinn2
    https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2022/5/23/aggies-nab-preseason-top-25-honors-football-theme-days-announced.aspx

Good, maybe they can make it to the Pre-season Bowl this year.

How do you "nab" ? Pre-season top 25 honors ? Recruiting is meaningless until the recruits actually play and validate the hype they were given. What the team did the previous year is also irrelevant. You lose players, and some of the ones who return get injured or don't play as well. Never mind the fact that changes to opponents and venues also matter.

For me the fun of college sports has really been lessened by all of the so-called experts who have to make predictions for a living. They're basically parasites that pander to the gambling world. Why don't they make a prediction about which U.S. city will have the most murders every year while they're at it ?

The real value in this article is the info about theme nights.
  • agalum
    Maybe the top 25 rating could push a potential recruit to sign?
  • AggieFinn2
    It could, but thse days a recruit could get most of the information they need about a school they're considering online.

Ideally you would want student-athletes to pick schools that match up with their academic goals, but even UCD gets a few who don't feel that way exactly. I believe the best a student-athlete can reasonably hope for is they wind up at a college they like, that will help them reach their academic goals, that will have a highly competitive team of which they can be an integral part. If the most important of those things is the competitiveness that's a misplaced priority in my opinion.
  • agalum

Agreed. Academics has been an integral part of the program for as long as I’ve been around, and unfortunately that works against us in our recruitment efforts. We need smart kids that are also good athletes.
  • movielover
    How often did Sichor & Foster recruit off campus?
  • Riveraggie
    After being #3 in this ranking in 2019, and not living up to it, this is the first year we make it back on their list.
    We have talent, some questions on who will play key positions, and a very tough schedule.
  • agalum

“ How often did Sichor & Foster recruit off campus?”
    I don’t know. But during the non scholly years, i would think trying to sell a recruit in Texas on a good education alone would be tough. Add in a full scholarship and thats a different ball game.
  • movielover
    I meant like San Diego and San Jose.
  • 69aggie
    Actually I don’t think they went very far. Mostly the Bay Area. We got the Clerici brothers from napa. Slater brothers. Great. And they were all excellent athletes. But keep in mind this is a deep field for recruiting.
  • 72Aggie
    A list or at least a link to the poll would be nice. Where are other teams, particularly our opponents, in the view of the soothsayers and fortune tellers who put the poll together?

Game themes and activities are starting to get like minor league baseball or any break in the action at an NBA game.

Pre-season polls, especially three months before the season, are entertaining but that’s about it. Growing up in Iowa I remember when Playboy magazine predicted the Hawkeyes would be number one in the nation with a 9-1 record. (Playboy had articles? Who knew?) They finished 1-9.
  • DrMike
    they traveled down south. I remember talking to Fred Arp once when he was saying he had some portion of SoCal. We had a handful of guys from the LA area (Daryl Goss for example), and usually a few from the Bakersfield area.
  • Riveraggie
    if you still want to look at the poll.
    https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2022-preseason-top-25-bzbz/

It shows how dominate the Dakota and Montana teams are. Sac #10, us #25.
  • Riveraggie
    In the 70s we got a lot of guys from small rural high schools. Almost everyone was all league in high school. Huge roster to filter through. They had a freshman team that played a limited JC schedule.
    Later I remember other coaches saying Davis being non scholarship was misleading. I think I recall the Santa Clara coach arguing that. Davis gave aid in other ways to make their offers competitive, and the cost of attendance was low. So there was still competitive recruiting.
  • movielover
    When tuition was $200 a quarter or less, probably the biggest expense was housing.
  • DrMike
    freshman football was HUGE! We had something like 40 guys; our FWC opponents were bringing in maybe 15 guys. Plus it was a training ground for coaches. I loved frosh football
  • Russ Bowlus
    We had a guy in the marching band that was also playing frosh football, right before they stopped having it. He had very busy Saturdays!
  • Riveraggie
    How did the Frosh team do in your era?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    And sang opera (if we're talking about the same guy).
  • Russ Bowlus
    Different guy (Dan Herman).
  • DrMike
    we were 6-2. Best sac state, Santa Clara (twice), Sonoma (year before they played D2) and Marin. Lost at Gavilan and Butte.

Only 2 other locals with frosh and that may have been first years, or close, for both. Frosh usually were around .500 v JCs
  • Oldbanduhalum
    ah then there were at least two.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!