• AggieFinn2
    Much was made (not here but elsewhere) of Sacramento State's series sweep of then #6 Long Beach State. Long Beach was only ranked that high because they won a series of Mississipi State. All the Sac-LBSU games were decided by 1 run, so now Sac State is ranked for barely beating a team that was overrated because they beat a team that was overrated. Let's follow this logic train of adjusting rankings based on a couple of wins. Sac State lost an exhibition game this year to NAIA British Columbia. BC split a series with William Jessup, therefore both BC and WJ should be ranked higher than Mississippi State-if they were NCAA Division I

Baseball has so many more variables that upsets happen all the time. They don't mean much. In some of their worst seasons UCD baseball has beaten Stanford then proceeded to get clobbered by a conference opponent over the weekend. Right now if they beat anybody it would be an upset-thank you hazing.

When you have an upset in football or basketball it's usually because one team had a better strategy for dealing with the other's gameplan. Strategy means very little sometimes in baseball if for example there's no wind. Random bloops decide ballgames.

These so-called college baseball experts need to stick to covering what is happening and stop trying to pick how the horses will finish.
  • 69aggie
    I stumbled onto this in the UC Davis Magazine. AD Rocko Duluca stated that the next project on the Athletics agenda is this: improvement of the BB and SB facilities INCLUDING LIGHTS!
    This should have gotten more Attention but this will instill new vigor into these very important sports here.
  • AggieFinn2
    Especially if that student initiative to de-fund athletics succeeds and football is eventually cut as a result. Can't be lacking in both fall and spring sports of interest. This isn't UC Santa Cruz. Baseball can survive a potential drop to Division II/III but football can't.
  • 72Aggie
    As usual, I learn a lot from your posts. After reading a comment you made on another post about Slack defeating "No. 6" Long Beach, as well as this thread, it is interesting to read the different rankings included in the Slack State post about their own national ranking. A week ago the Hornets were ranked at four different positions (20, 23, 24, 25) in four different polls. Not one of those polls had Long Beach as No. 6 in their "Previous" column. I think the highest anybody had the Dirtbags was #10. It's also worth noting that pre-season and early season polls don't mean much, and I bet a couple of years of a pandemic have not helped. Slack has gone 1-5 since they were ranked. Life's too short for me to search for updated rankings, but I doubt anyone has them in their top 25 now.
  • movielover
    The lights have been a goal for over 2 decades. The delay on building Dobbins really hurt financially as costs jumped.
  • AggieFinn2
    I was going off the Sac State website article. Not sure where they got their #6 for Long Beach

It's clear though that neither team really deserved the ranking they had. The Dirtbags are 5-6, and then-unranked (don't know if they are now)North Dakota State gave them problems.

Sac State may not finish in the top 3 of their new WAC division in 2022 unless they take a big step forward with their pitching. Their success last year relied a lot on two starting pitchers whom they have now lost to the pros. In 12 games this year only one of their starters (the freshman who threw a seven-inning no-hitter in the first week) has actually won a game if I'm not mistaken.

Still that doesn't mean Sac State wouldn't beat UC Davis pretty soundly. I have accepted the possibility that the 2022 season isn't more than an extended opportunity for Tommy Nicholson to evaluate the players he inherited and determine who's a good fit for next year. What else can he do really ? Also for the players to get their reps in and improve however they can. This year's team may go 0-40 against the schedule they have. To be fair I don't think the team would have been very good had there been no hazing and no players had left. Just another crappy season. There had to have been some internal problems we don't know about besides the hazing which prevented the team from even posting .500 seasons most year since 2005.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!