• DavisAggie
    one year of eligibility left
  • agalum
    Ouch is right. Are these transfer portals hoping for fbs?
  • 88Aggie
    I have heard that Jim Les feels the portal is a one way ticket. If they don’t get the offers they want they can’t come back. Does Hawk feel the same way?
  • movielover
    Unless someone is a difference maker... does an FBS coach want to make that commitment for a one and done?
  • AggieFinn
    Oh Gods. This coaching staff is either caught behind a COVID wall they could not foresee, or it's something else. What's going on with the Quarterback???!!!

UC Davis is a first class institution of learning and football player development. Be here.
  • CA Forever
    Hawkins has already utilized the portal to grab some FBS guys in his tenure. Castles is probably the most notable addition. Smalley was a grad portal transfer guy from UCLA. It's just a matter of finding a kid that wants the opportunity to play even if that means jumping down a division.
  • CA Forever
    I don't want to beat a dead horse on the quarterback situation, but as we've all been saying I would be shocked if we didn't have someone new next season. Both of our main guys finished the season with more interceptions than touchdowns. We simply can't do that again next season. It's not fair to the rest of the team.

I also don't know if the coaching staff anticipated the departure of Gilliam and Perryman. Surely they were clued into who was going to be leaving. Hopefully these weren't surprises.
  • DrMike
    I think these guys get people in their ears with unrealistic expectations. I love Gilliam but is he a Pac12 type talent? Does he go ‘home’ to Fresno and replace Rivers? Same question with Perryman. Is the Pac12 calling? I get that they have a degree in hand (hopefully) and played 4 seasons (one short one), so this is gravy. But…unless you can’t work out a grad school option here, only transfer for a definite football upgrade.

I look back at Squire leaving for the ‘big time’ in basketball and ending up with Portland State. Bad decision
  • BlueGoldAg
    I don't think we know what their personal reasons might be for entering the portal. It may well be that they want to try and see if they can land at an FBS program but it could also be something like not being completely happy with something here also. There could be other personal reasons as well. Losing Gilliam and Perryman is tough though. I wonder who might be next...?
  • CA Forever
    Perryman's post on twitter about entering the portal specifically references wanting the opportunity to play at the next level.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I hadn't seen his tweet. As much as I hate to see him go, I wish him well and hope he is successful.

• DrMike
    There is talk of moving the signing dates back since the portal is becoming more and more active. Makes sense; schools don’t know what openings they might have until the season is over
  • CA Forever
    Yep. I hope he finds what he is looking for in the transfer portal. I don't want to see him fail as frustrating as this decision is for us as fans.
  • movielover
    Joshua Kelley succeeded, so did the DB who went via SFCC to Washington State? (Gould signee.)

Beyond that, our edge rusher who redshirted under Gould eventually transferred to Tennessee and saw little action.
  • DrMike
    Kelly had skills and sizes that made you think he got overlooked somehow by the big schools.
  • movielover
    Jordan Allen is the other young man who left early and now at Webber State, but recorded no receptions last year as he converted from edge rusher to TE.

"Once a four-star junior college edge rusher out of Northern California, Allen initially went to UC Davis but redshirted in 2016. He then transferred to City College of San Francisco and played nine games in 2017 before transferring to the Vols

"Allen played outside linebacker for Tennessee football in 2018 and sat out in 2019 due to injury before switching over to tight end this past offseason. He announced his decision to enter the transfer portal on Twitter." -> Weber State
  • DrMike
    I’ve never been a fan of the grad transfer idea. Not sure the motivation of coming in for a year, and, possibly, not even being a real student. I don’t mind guys changing their minds after a year or two and leaving to be a real part of another program. I’m just getting old, I guess
  • 88Aggie
    I was talking more about our guys leaving and not us picking up transfers. So if Perryman and Gilliam don’t get the FBS offers they are looking for would Hawk welcome them back to the team?
  • CA Forever
    Oh I suppose it is possible. You can definitely recommit to the school you entered from after entering the portal. Jake Haener down at Fresno entered the transfer portal and then rescinded his entering to stay at Fresno. At least Gilliam would have to re-enroll as a grad student since he graduated. I don't know if Perryman actually graduated or if he is just transferring because he doesn't think Davis is a big enough vault if he is truly trying to go pro.
  • NCagalum
    I think a lot of these transfer portal guys have an inflated perception of themselves and may get some people whispering in their ear. Transferring down may make some sense if you want more playing time. Transferring up will likely lead to less playlng time and will not enhance any prop ability of making pros.

If you have a degree in hand it is one thing, but I think the transfer portal does nothing for academics and probably just shows that academics are very secondary at best for those who enter.
  • CA Forever
    Man...The playoff blowout and then Perryman and Gilliam leaving have really made the beginning of this offseason a bummer. Hopefully we pull in some nice signees here in a couple of days that can help get some enthusiasm going again.
  • movielover
    Dr. Mike cheered me up knowing Lance Babbs is coming back at WR. That's big. We've got LL at RB and several studs at TE.

We've got some young guns to try at QB, and who knows, maybe we get a JC stud transfer or drop down. (More JM than Laughrea.)

Will we gave Whelan one more year?

Coach Sochor used to say your spot is here, your greatness is here, something like that. Dozens of Aggies have made the pros, even Coach Gould said if you're good, they find you. Would hate to see Perryman buried on a depth chart at Fresno or New Mexico State.
  • CA Forever
    Getting Babb II back is definitely a good thing. He was really starting to come into his own, but at the same time we are also losing Harrell and Vaughn I believe. Larison is talented for sure, but still has big shoes to fill. Gilliam leaving the program as the 2nd leading rusher in program history and likely would leave as the top if he played a 4th season. Everyone knows my thoughts on the QB situation so I won't go more into that lol.
  • DrMike
    Don’t etch the Babb is back in stone; that wasn’t the message I got at the last basketball game from someone in the program. So, second hand, but trust the source
  • CA Forever
    Well... fingers crossed then. We need a deep threat receiver to show up to help out some of the underneath route guys like Hutton and Crawford.
  • movielover

Is Hawkins doing in home visits?
  • CA Forever
    Frankly, I just haven't been able to find much recruiting news in general considering the upcoming signing period. What few twitter posts I've been able to find have been the coordinators and positional coaches on visits. I don't have inside sources on offers or visits or anything like that. I just post what I find online.
  • Riveraggie
    How many graduate programs do we have that can offer someone a useful credential in a year?
    Probably not many aside from a teaching credential, but I don’t know.
    I don’t think there is much of an incentive for someone to play another year after being here for 4 or 5 already.
  • agalum
    So why does it have to be a graduate program? Couldn’t one enroll in another undergrad program, such as pursuing a second BS or even an extension program? Maybe pursuing a BA after earning a BS?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!