• movielover
    We have 4 athletic facilities on campus, and only one indoor basketball court on a campus of 36,000 students.

Upper and Lower Hickey are taken by ICA and club sports.

Rec Hall is used for ICA, camps, science faires, etc.

ARC has 5 basketball courts - 4 plus 1 (MAC court). But really it's only 4, bc the last court is setup for volleyball. (Typically not used.)

Now these ARC main floor courts are used for Covid testing. There is only one basketball court open - MAC - on limited hours. Sometimes, it's only half court!

One limited indoor court for 36,000 students.

Solution: move Covid testing to the Pavilion - upper levels.

There are large areas there for tables, staff, etc. Then students and staff can have 4-5 basketball courts full-time.
  • Gunrock47
    Makes sense. But ucd won’t do it. This is a school that sees no value in physical education as evidenced by its abrupt elimination of those course offerings this past academic year.
  • movielover
    Interesting point. Rec Hall was a great place to excercise in the winter.
  • Toke69
    Are reminiscences about IM sports appropriate for this site?
  • movielover
    Sure. Start a discussion here or in the OT section.
  • 69aggie
    OK, I am pissed at the Pavillion. It took over all of our IM fields in the 70s. Is that an appropriate comment?
  • Toke69
    For starters, I want to praise the UC Davis Intramural program. When I was there it was directed by a young man whose name I can't remember, Gary Colson (?), I think, but I seem to recall that he was honored for administering a really outstanding program that gave every student a chance to extend, develop or even start playing sports that not only provided some physical exercise but allowed for social and organizational development for both men and women. Speaking for myself, I never got a chance to participate in any organized sport in high school, so it was great to be able to play football, basketball, and softball with and against my fellow students.

In the more popular team sports, the tiered system (A,B,C levels) let a lot of student play sports who never would have had any chance at all to be part of a team. I had friends who never dreamt of playing competitive basketball, but got out on the courts and had a whole lot of fun.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!