• BlueGoldAg
    The Ags travel to the minuscule confines of the Hornets Nest tonight at 7 pm versus Sac State in the Annual Causeway Classic basketball game.

The Hornets present a difficult match up for just about any team since they employ a style of play known as "the system" in which they run and gun at breakneck speed on offense and then try to create havoc and turnovers on defense with full court pressure. When opponents try to run with them things can get wild. For example, they nipped Illinois 109-107 but lost to Pepperdine 113-97. They could care less about how much the opponent scores or shooting percentages; it's all about simply running the opponent ragged and outscoring them and, to do that, they will keep fresh legs on the court by making platoon substitutions of 5 new players every few minutes.

This year the Hornets are averaging 91 ppg but also allow 94 ppg. They put up an average of 88 FGA's per game and would be happy to put up 100+. They also launch an average of 42 threes per game and 50 or more would be fine for them. Their rebounding numbers are crazy; they average 50 rpg but they also allow 55.

The Aggies are struggling to find some consistency and balance on offense so it will be interesting to see how Jen Gross decides to manage the pace of the Hornets. My guess is that she will want the Ags to slow down the tempo and find the open player for high percentage shots when the Hornets double and triple team the ball. We haven't shot well from 3 this year so we don't want to get in a run and shoot 3 point contest with them.

The Ags systematically dismantled the Hornets two years ago in the Hornets Nest 110-78. That game was a perfect example of how to beat "the system." The Ags methodically took advantage of the Hornets defensive pressure by scoring in the paint over and over again in transition and on wide open looks when the Hornets scrambled to trap the ball and the Ags were poised enough to be patient and find the open player for a high percentage shot.. We also were draining 3's but we don't have that kind of 3 point shooting this year so we'll need to be more patient. Morgan Bertsch could put up some big numbers if the Hornets decide pressure the ball heavily on the perimeter.

Live online tv stream from Big Sky TV at 7 pm:

https://bigskyconf.com/sports/2015/11/19/WatchBigSky.aspx

Go Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Ugh, I hate watching this game each year, just too much of a basketball purest. Can't deny, though, that the "system" has caused the Ags a lot of trouble of the years. We need to be smart with the ball and not get sucked into their hectic pace.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Pretty solid start to the game....
  • BlueGoldAg
    I missed the whole first quarter but the Ads must have been on fire and lead 32-14..wow!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Gotta love the system. Ags up 32-14 after 1 quarter
  • Russ Bowlus
    UCD in the bonus halfway through the 2nd. Same thing happened in the 1st... undisciplined Sac team?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Sac 3-22 from 3-pt at the moment.
  • Russ Bowlus
    63-27 at half. Aggies are out-rebounding and out-shooting Sac. Aggie 3-pt % isn't all that great, but they have only attempted 9 threes. Shooting 50+% overall.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Bertsch leading all scorers with 20. Bessolo with 13. Hall, Bertsch, and Stobbart all with more than 5 rebounds each.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This is exactly how you beat "the system." You play play with poise and play smart by taking care of the ball and knowing someone is open when they commit to double teaming our guards at half court. Excellent blocking out on the rebounds by the Ags also.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think you mean 20 for Bertsch...if she had 30...well that would be incredible!
  • Russ Bowlus
    Yep, fat fingered that. Fixed!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Everyone is going to love their stat line after this game
  • BlueGoldAg
    Right now the Ags are playing very sloppy in the 3rd quarter...lots of TO's.
  • Russ Bowlus
    79-44 after three. Ags took their feet off the gas.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags lost their poise and focus in the 3rd quarter and get outscored 17-15 but still lead 79-44.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags had 5 TO's in the first half and then turned the ball over 8 times in the 3rd quarter.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Part of the idea of the system is that you run your opponent down in the second half. Seems to be working a bit tonight. Still not going to be close but it’d be nice to end strong
  • Russ Bowlus
    I think Bertsch just tied the scoring record for a single game. Might be off by two...
  • Russ Bowlus
    Moot point, she's got 40 now. :cool:
  • Russ Bowlus
    Bessolo with 21 and Stobbart with a double-double.
  • Russ Bowlus
    109-60 final.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags also out rebounded the Hornets 67-32 and 20 assists to only 4 for the Hornets. The Ags dismantled "the system" and now lead the all-time series 30-29.
  • Russ Bowlus
    I'm thinking that Konrad has nailed down a starting spot: 7pts, 6 reb, 5 assists in 22 min. 4 TO, as well, unfortunately.

5 reb and 3 assists for McKeown to demonstrate that she's more than just a gunner. :up:
  • Russ Bowlus
    More digging in the box score: Aggies went 11-13 in the 4th. Wow!
  • Russ Bowlus
    WBB Twitter: "FINAL | History made! A record-setting night in Sacramento as the Aggies swat the Hornets, 109-60... Bertsch with a school-record 40 points, Bessolo with her 1st career 20-point game (21), Stobbart her 1st career double-double (12&10), Hall w/13 reb."
  • BlueGoldAg
    McKeown made some nice assists also. She handles the ball pretty well too.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I think you’re right about Konrad. She’s smart and does the little things that make the team better.
  • BlueGoldAg
    In the the intro to this thread I said:

Morgan Bertsch could put up some big numbers if the Hornets decide pressure the ball heavily on the perimeter.

Well...bingo! Morgan had a field day and the Ags outscored the Hornets 76-26 in the paint. That's ridiculous!

I really do not like "the system." I could see that if you do not have good ball handlers and don't play smart with poise that it can cause problems but when you do face a team that has those qualities, this is what happens.

Note to Aggie Athletics: Never hire a coach who likes to run "the system!"
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!