• BlueGoldAg
    Bob Dunning has written an article suggesting that it is time for the Aggies to make the move to FBS.

Excerpt: "Last year about this time, in response to Chancellor Gary May’s request for suggestions about where UC Davis might “boldly go,” I recommended the campus should go “up.”

Specifically, I noted, “It’s time for UC Davis to finally take its proud and competitive Aggie football program out of the no-man’s land known as the Football Championship Subdivision and put it straight into competition with the likes of Cal and Stanford and USC and maybe even Texas-El Paso.”

I feel that way now more than ever after watching the Aggies dismantle Football Bowl Subdivision member San Jose State, crush the University of San Diego, look like they at least belong on the field at seventh-ranked Stanford and absolutely destroy the Men from Moscow, who nine months ago were competing at the higher football level."

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies-time-to-pick-up-the-loose-ball-and-head-for-pay-dirt/
  • zythe
    It has to happen at some point.
  • 69aggie
    Bob makes some very good points. But, I think we need to have some winning seasons before we go boldly there. Then there’s the question of what conference we go to. Some of the Mountain West teams are not really that good or as prestigious as some Big Sky schools. PAC 13? Not in our lifetime. Cal would veto any such move. Where else?
  • movielover
    Mr. Dunning likes big time football.

San Jose was asleep in the 1st quarter, no QB and unproven HC, SD is non scholly, and I don't think Idaho is a real challenge.

We haven't even made the playoffs.

Has Mr. Dunning found the tens of Millions needed for a stadium expansion, and 20 new scholarships?
  • movielover
    The Davis Democrat has an article on our new running game.
  • zythe
    Can you please elaborate on Berkeley vetoing it? I just want to know the history a bit more.
  • DrMike
    It would have to be the PAC 14 and that would never happen. Too hard to schedule for football, and they won’t have a 26-game basketball league schedule. One there is no incentive for the PAC since they have a NorCal presence.

MWC ? they would need to add two for scheduling, so us and another. Financially makes sense to get someone like UTSA and tap into Texas. Does adding Davis do anything for them? No, not really. They have a NorCal footprint. They have enough teams now for a conference championship game($$). Would they add us just so they could bring in UTSA? Doubt it.

It’s not our choice. A conference would need to want us, and financially (the only real reason) it makes no sense they would need us. No other options out there
  • CA Forever
    I don't think moving to FBS should be a top priority right now. We don't have the fan base, facilities, or track record of success in FCS to make it happen at this point. Maybe it could happen down the road, but we should maybe focus on winning consistently at our current level first.
  • movielover
    Or Independent in football?

From reading the San Jose fan site, it sounds like they're on shakey ground.
  • Bige70
    I think the most realistic path to moving up is (a) UCD goes on an extreme (read NDSU/EWU) run of success with Hawkins over the next 3-5 years, garnering fan/administrative support and media attention; and (b) an existing member of one of the conferences drops out or is booted (read SJSU). That's our route in, and it's not entirely unlikely. But moving up is several steps away (though it is fun to dream big).

PS I think getting into the PAC (whatever number) would require demonstrated success in another FBS conference for many years. Even then, what would be their incentive to add us?
  • zythe
    I’m pretty sure the groundwork for us being FBS has already been laid. Expect us there within a 5 year period. That is my gut feeling.
  • movielover
    Tumey was working on that... while interviewing for other jobs... while nor moving to Davis... Bruce G gave us a little insight, then backed away.
  • DrMike
    if the PAC or MWC says ‘thanks but no thanks ‘, where do we go? Sunbelt? Ask Idaho how that went. UTSA and South Alabama made the move with stadiums in place and much more financial support, and they are both struggling.

Next step is new training facility, practice field and infrastructure upgrades. That a 10’s of million dollar project. I think we’re close to getting that going but I don’t think we’re even thinking of where the 10’s of million to get to (at least) 20k attendance (FBs requirement) will come from
  • zythe

I agree with you 100%

We’ll see what the future brings.
  • Bige70
    @DrMike, I think the only conference that makes sense for the Ags is MWC (imagine annual regional rivalries with Fresno and Reno). But when I say "makes sense" I acknowledge the incredible amount of money, competitive success, and fan support it would require to move up. We are 3 wins out of 4 games into this season, so I grant that some of us and Bob Dunning are getting ahead of ourselves. It's just been so long since I've been this optimistic about the program that I am allowing myself to get carried away.
  • CA Forever
    I, too, can understand the excitement... but let's channel that excitement into winning at this level. Playoffs are exciting as hell and I hope the Aggies make it in this season. I don't want to give that up for the potential to play in a crappy bowl game.
  • 69aggie
    Zythe, i think my point has already been made by other smarter people. But my point is that this would have to be a unanimous vote or near unanimous vote. Why would Cal who has many, many alumni and Cal students in and from the Sacramento area vote to allow us into their FBS geo- dominant area? Absolutely no reason to do this. Bottle line: Cal would lose money and Cal is on life support as it is.
  • NCagalum

...and maybe even Texas-El Paso.” Well at least Dunning still has his sense of humor. I once sent in some cash to get the Enterprise sent to Logan UT - where I was going to grad school - to follow the Ags many moons ago and I received the paper accompanied with a refund from Dumning saying “Utah money not accepted in California”
  • DrMike
    If I’m commisioner of the Pac12 I’d look at the money. Can I charge COMCAST more if my footprint extends into Texas or Sacramento? Grab Texas and TCU. I think the conference expansion days are over unless Notre Dame decides they want in.

We had to add Equestrian and beach volleyball to meet title ix this year. To add 22 football scholarships? We’d have to CUT 22 men’s (there’s no more women’s sports left!)
  • DrMike
    I follow Bob on Facebook and posted my comments there. I’ll be curious if I get a response. The 22 schlorships is a huge deal, unless we can add beach equestrian or horse volleyball
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Okay first off, it is not just Cal that would not want UC Davis in the Pac 12. You can add Stanford, UCLA, U$C and every non-California team too. The Pac 12 relies on California for recruits. Another school would hurt recruiting for all teams and would be an unproductive add for the Pac 12 which already owns the Norcal market plus socal fans living in the Sac region too.

I might get hate because I cheer for the Bears as well as the Ags (I've been a Golden Bear football fan for nearly 20 seasons now and follow them more intensely than the Raiders), but I don't get the whole "kal sucks" deal. It makes the Ags look petty. Cal is happy to have UC Davis as FCS unlike some of those teams in Alabama or Nebraska that do backdoor moves to shut out rivals (UAB's death and return; Nebraska-Lincoln allowing Nebraska's Omaha campus to move to DI but by dropping football).If Cal really disliked the Ags, they would refuse to schedule them as an opening opponent like Bama does for all Alabama schools. They are happy to keep the money in the UC system and get 5-10k Davis fans down to Memorial when they'd get less vs Portland State or Idaho State for example.

Lets focus on FCS first esp with the widening gap between P5 and G5. We need to win a title or atleast advance to the semis for 1 or more seasons before moving up. The MWC would be intriguing. A rivalry with Nevada or esp Fresno would be electric. I would really miss playing Slac State or CP though. I'd hope one of them would move up too.

EDIT: One final word on this. I do wear Cal gear for their games, but I'm not one of those folks who wear it outside of football branding. Like I'd never wear a Berkeley shirt on the Davis campus like some people did when I was an undergrad. There's totally a difference. I was happy to attend UC Davis, proud of it. But it is possible to cheer for both teams except when they play each other.
  • DrMike
    I’m with you in Cal. I’m a fan of the Bears and the Cardinal. I grew up in the East Bay and went to many games at Cal and Palo Alto over the years. The Chuck Muncie/Joe Roth team was much fun to watch. I think Csl has a real gem ad their coach! Looking forward to our game at Berkeley next year ( and the 600k payoff!)
  • The Big Easy

WOW! Joe Roth and Chuck Muncie

Talk about a blast from the past!

I remember watching a QB at a Grossmont College game and thinking "Who The F---Is That?"

It was Joe Roth!

I'd never seen a JC QB throw tight spirals with that much velocity and accuracy!

I was not surprised at his success at Cal and was sorry to hear of his illness and early death.
  • quadshock
    Can we sell out two games in a row and get a winning season first?
  • movielover
    Maybe a championship?
  • 69aggie
    I love what bob dunning is doing here. Maybe he is way over the top on the FBS thing, but look at the responses and interest he has brought to the program just with these posts! Keep it up bob!
  • aggie08
    I agree it’s good to get the ball rolling on this discussion. Ultimately the program is moving in the right direction w Hawkins. My main concern is getting the fans out. Can we realistically avg 15k fans per game? We have issues getting half of that right now. Our basketball program made the postseason 3 of the last 4 seasons. Most mid majors would dream to be in the NCAA or even nit, but we still can’t pack the Pavilion. What can we do to drive more interest? Extend our mktg/ footprint to Sac?? So bottom line is fan support is my main sticking point. Am I wrong here?
  • zythe
    Our marketing sucks...
  • 69aggie
    Josh Kelley had big night for UCLA- 124 yards- last night. Too bad we let that one get away.
  • agalum
    Football is low on the priority list for a lot of students. I have been told several times that they go to games their first year then stop. With that said, I believe if we had the right Aggie pack leader and marketed the games with pep rallies on the quad to make the entire game day experience fun we could make improvements.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!