• Davisbear
    Just wondered what everyone thinks we need to do to keep improving the program? It is one thing to be competitive for a Big West championship, but what do people think we need to do to move up in the college basketball world (I'm saying this in the context of staying in the Big West, not arguing for leaving to another conference).
    Scholarships - Do we have the full 13 scholarships?
    Practice gym - I know that they use the old gym in Hickey, however I know that the plan is to eventually move more athletics over to the other side of campus. A practice gym for basketball and volleyball would be a great addition, UOP added one recently. Every school in the Pac-12 but Cal has one. I know Santa Clara has been talking about adding one soon. This would clearly demonstrate a serious commitment to excellence and would be very helpful in recruiting.
    Pavilion Improvements - I know there have been some improvements. Perhaps a large center hanging scoreboard with screens, that would make the place feel more like an arena. I think the biggest improvement would just be to get more fans at the games consistently.
    Recruiting budget - Given the current roster, it is clear that we recruit nationally. I think spending some more money so that the coaches can get out on the road more would help, especially if we want to be able to add the occasional 3* guy, rather than the current 2* level of talent.

Any thoughts?
  • eastbayaggie
    I thought i read somewhere that Blue gave Les the go ahead to recruit internationally. I would love to see Les recruit like how what I think St.Mary's does. I think they like recruiting people from Australia. Just get an international pipeline from somewhere else while selling the strong points of playing in California and in an internationally renowned institution would likely give us an edge over our peers. :chin:
  • movielover
    We offer the full amount of schoolies. Is the main Pavilion court set up for basketball all year?
  • 69aggie
    No the pavilion has removable decks. It hosts tons of non athletic events and conferences each year. It is the areas primier site for college basketball and other non athletic events. Hickey is a great place for MBB/WBB to practice for games away. It has lockers, showers and everything the teams need and is close to campus. We do not need to build a “practice facilty” as we already are very fortunate to have one here.
  • movielover
    How about the first endowed scholarship?
  • Davisbear
    Endowing scholarships and/or coaching positions is definitely important moving forward. Men's water polo endowed the head coaching position recently, the first endowment in UCD athletics.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    There's always the "increase attendance and SOS" ideas that we've talked about endlessly. To throw out something else, I'd love to see more guys like Siler, who come in and contribute as a freshmen, and then get better each year, resulting in All Big West players by their senior years (Lemar is another example). We've hit the jackpot in the JC ranks recently with Shorts and Moneke, but there is just something rewarding about watching a guy progress through his 4 years at UCD. Mooney is on that track, and maybe Jackson, Nelson and Strom will be the next wave.
  • Zander
    Aggie Pack needs to be more aggressive in getting the students to make noise. We don't push the home court advantage enough. And students need to be constantly barraged with reminders to go to games -- make the Pavilion the "happening" place that night.

There are things we could do to improve the arena environment. SDSU has some very impressive theatrics before the game (lights out -> 10 minute pre tip-off dance party, giant banner draped over the student section, searchlights pointed at the bench when the team is announced). Anybody who goes to a game for the first time just gets "wow'd" by the sheer spectacle. That only happens during ESPN games for Aggie fans.

I would also really, really love to see a local TV deal to raise awareness of the program and help recruits feel like we're "big time." I know Sacramento Republic has one with the local CW station where their league-mandated live stream -- equivalent of Big West TV -- is directly aired on the network. Of course this requires a much higher quality streaming infrastructure than what UCD currently has, but it goes without saying that we need that.
  • movielover
    I don't know if going LA Hollywood is the answer. I think countering the smartphone and international students is tough.
  • 69aggie
    Our “local media” consists of a tiny hometown newspaper that prints 5 days out of the week. The Sac Bees coverage of the Aggies is almost nonexistent; so far nothing on the championships, or our all league players, or coach of the year, etc. i do not know about the TV stations coverage since I don’t live nearby. But, Z is right the APack used to be much more active with very good leadership. Maybe thats it: no enthusiastic leader. Since we have so many woman students maybe we should focus on getting them to the games.
  • agalum
    Aggie Pack needs to be more aggressiveZander

And as discussed on the football page, more knowledgeable about the game. This is s significant problem in both bball and football. There was a time when the Apack leaders really had their act together. I am not sure if this was a volunteer position or not, but make it a paid student position, or two or turn it into an internship.
  • quadshock
    I think we can split up the thinking into results and actions

Results

Besides winning, what would we like to see?

• More Sac regional support: I want people who are not even alumni to want to attend games
    • Greater Bay Area support: We have so many alumni in the Bay Area, for example (myself included) and I don't think we tap into this market at all. Even during the March Madness run last year, the watch parties were rather low effort, last minute, and low turnout. We could do better
    • More revenue from streaming: Cord cutting is a real trend, and given how we're one of the top public universities, we should be able to apply more forward thinking. I'd like to see ads from bigger dogs.

What to do

• Invite more local artists with support base to halftime shows: If you get a musician from Sacramento, or elsewhere in the area, you can bring more people to the game and potentially groom them into being a casual fan.
    • Get Bay Area involved: I would love a shuttle for us to go to games and come back. I'd like more promotion for away games in the area to build up hype, especially since we can actually win these games now. No one really knows when the Ags are in the area, or if there's a quick and easy way to go to a game on a Thursday (for example).
    • Boost streaming quality: Make the on screen graphics look more professional. Stop with the audio technical difficulties. This year has already been a big improvement, with the announcers synced up to the video (finally). I definitely enjoyed watching games remotely (although I wish it was on YouTube so I could stream more easily, and cast more easily). It can also help students dip their toes in if they are curious about basketball, but for whatever reason haven't attended in person yet. Not sure how much of this is on the school, and how much is on Big West. Either way the school can still do a much better job. Better quality = more streaming = more opportunity to advertise

I think the practice facilities are a good idea too. But I think what we're seeing these days is a solid product on the court, but the support hasn't grown at the same rate, so I think improvement is more sorely needed on the promotion and operational front
  • movielover
    We apparently spend a lot on administration, not sure how much of that was Tumey or Gould. ... there are some local alums and administrators who aren't friendly. If I drive in from Sac, or San Jose, or even local, why the cold reception?
  • Toke69
    I took the original question to mean improving the program on the court, so I have not added any comments. The best thing for that is to keep Jim Les. Since his first season in which UC Davis went 5-26 to now, he has had better and better teams, with three 20+ win seasons in the past 4 years, two Coach of the year awards and 3 post-season national appearances including our first ever NCAA tourney victory. This season...well, I don't think I need to preach to the choir. As for getting other areas improved, I think quadshock has some great ideas. Is the AD reading this?
  • DrMike
    an off the court improvement? concessions! we have one stand for the entire pavillion. the line can take the entire half time to get through. The beer 'garden' is a nice addition, but another full-service concession, and maybe a smaller drink/popcorn/candy stand would help things.
  • BlueGoldAg
    +1!! That's a much needed improvement.
  • agalum
    an off the court improvement? concessions!

That’s the truth. And improve the selection beyond nacho cheese and hot dogs.
  • DrMike
    They have Woodstock pizza at the beer court
  • movielover
    Abusing us with logic again. You'd figure the 2nd or 3rd most intelligent city in America would figure a way to staff up before halftime, but I can understand the challenges when it can be 1,300 or 3,000.
  • eastbayaggie
    I vote for a more reliable video feed.
  • SoCalAggie
    More reliable and high def!
  • Zander
    Hi def would be nice but I'd settle for 480p if it runs smoothly with clear audio. Even better if it's supported by streaming devices.
  • Zander
    Good point about the theatrics not necessarily being a fit for every fanbase. That being said, I imagine recruits like that sort of thing.
  • SoCalAggie
    I agree with a lot of these improvements but I want to shout out something that’s been great the last year (or two now)

I love these jerseys and warm up uniforms. These have to be some of the nicest jersey we’ve had.
  • eastbayaggie

480p is asking for too much. Just make the feed work for at least 90% of the time. Baby steps fist.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    I wholeheartedly echo the comments about AP. They are an absolute joke and farce compared to 10-15 years ago when I was in school and the few years afterwards.

I’m sure I’ll vent more later on other related topics.
  • movielover
    Recent Aggie article, extensive comments from freshman football player.

Does it smell like school spirit?
    SNEHA RAMACHANDRAN —

https://theaggie.org/2018/03/06/smell-like-school-spirit/
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I can tell you that other than the SF Giants (boo) and to a much lesser extent, the 49ers (also boo), the Enderle's aren't really super big into sports and his family more so than him.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!