• aggie6thman
    The First Four also isn't just 16 seeds and I think it ups the amount of money the university/conference makes since it counts as a tournament win.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Coach Les says that the win over Long Beach may be the greatest game in his experience.

Excerpt from today's Davis Enterprise:

Jim Les says he has played in, coached or simply watched a great number of basketball games in his life, but he’s not sure any of them can top UC Davis’ 105-104 double-overtime road win Saturday night at Long Beach State.

“It’s certainly in the conversation as the greatest game in my experience,” said the Aggie head coach, who played collegiately at Bradley and then seven years in the NBA (including four with the Sacramento Kings).

The dramatic win was sealed when point guard T.J. Shorts II hit a running 3-pointer with 1.9 seconds left after Long Beach had taken a 104-102 lead with 6.4 seconds remaining.

Joe Mooney started the play with a pinpoint in-bound strike to Rogers Printup near midcourt. Printup responded with a perfect bounce pass to the streaking Shorts, who took it in stride and raced downcourt uncontested before launching the game-winning shot.

“We run that play in practice every day and it never works,” said Les with a knowing laugh. “But the attention to detail on that play was fantastic. Rogers’ pass hit T.J. perfectly.”

Shorts pulled up just behind the 3-point arc even though the path to the basket was relatively clear for a layup that would have tied the game and sent things into a third overtime.

“I probably would have gone for the layup at that point, but these guys are way smarter than I am,” Les said.

“They’re UC Davis students. I’m glad they didn’t listen to the coach. I saw T.J.’s shot go up and I thought it looked pretty good. It’s got a chance.”

Shorts said he never considered anything but the trey, given that three of his teammates were out of the game with five fouls.

“There was no way we were going to go into a third overtime,” Shorts allowed. “We were going to end it right there.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/a-coach-led-team-can-be-good-a-player-led-team-can-be-great-ucds-jim-les/
  • eastbayaggie
    Here's another article:

A suspension, a big shot and a viral dance: How UC Davis basketball stole the spotlight

I didn't know Les's dance video has already racked up 68.3k views. :)
  • movielover
    Shorts can dunk with either hand? Spud Webb?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hahaha...I love TJ's sense of humor:

With a soft smile and a concession speech – he still holds out hope that he will grow taller – he also reveals a family trait: a playful sense of humor.

“You should talk to my mom,” he offers, shaking his head. “Her name is Darlene Long. My father’s name is Timothy Shorts. She goes by Long-Shorts.”
  • DrMike
    something from Channel 10 on Shorts and the game:

ABC10
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!