• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies will try and get a road sweep today when they go to battle with the 49ers at 4 pm today in the Walter Pyramid. The game will be televised on ESPN3 and should be a good one. The Aggies currently sit on top of the Big West along with UCSB and Long Beach is only one game behind. The Ags won the first game between these two teams 84-75 back on January 17th in the Pavilion.

This will be another classic battle between the league leading Aggie defense and the 49ers high flying offense. The Ags have shown that they can grind out wins and depend on their defense to get stops at crunch time. They'll need to be locked in defensively today and dictate the game pace to slow the 49ers who will want to run and gun in front of their home fans. Our big men will also need to stay out of foul trouble while containing Tamidayo Yussef the talented 49er post. One of the best players in the Big West, Gabe Levin, has the ability to take over a game so making things difficult for him will be a key element for the Aggies as well.

Televised live on ESPN3 at 4 pm:

http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/3252368/uc-davis-vs-long-beach-state-m-basketball

Go Ags!
  • aggie6thman
    No Chima completely changes this game. Who is going to step up?
  • BlueGoldAg
    We don't have anyone who can effectively replace Chima. With him being sent back to Davis on "indefinite suspension" we could be toast. We have no big man with his kind of talent. This could be the straw that broke the camel's back for this team. I feel for the players. Chima must have f...ed up big time. Wow...
  • eastbayaggie
    We did beat Lamar without Chima. I think we can do okay.
  • BlueGoldAg
    There is no doubt that we are capable of winning some games without Chima but it is certainly a huge loss for this team. That can not be denied.
  • Toke69
    I finally got a chance to go on BigWestTV. It's half-time and the Ags clearly miss Chima, but Shorts is doing a great job penetrating and Schneider is holding up his end of offense. The 49ers have a big edge on the boards. I'm sure that the game will go down to the wire. Has anyone noticed the huge screen on the Pyramid's wall behind the backboard? Gotta be a distraction for the foul shooters with some the images on there. I want to see what is there when Long Beach is on the line.
  • SoCalAggie
    Omg did I just read my ESPN app right?!?!?!
  • CA Forever
    WOW! WHAT A SHOT!
  • PortlandAggie
    A running 3!!!! Amazing.
  • eastbayaggie
    Someone needs to make a GIF on that.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    OMG. What a great performance!!!!
  • Toke69
    Unbelievable! This was a game for the ages. Most exciting finish I've seen for an Aggie game since 1969.
  • eastbayaggie
    If someone else would have fouled out, I don't think we would have another player left.
  • aggie08
    TJ is a beast! What a win. This team just keeps going! Liked coach Les joining in on the dancing post game!
  • SoCalAggie
    Guys. Let's get that on Sports Center. Tweet with #SCtop10
  • eastbayaggie
    When someone has access to the replay, post it up! :)
  • BlueGoldAg
    This was perhaps the guttiest win I have ever seen by an Aggie team and Lord knows the officials weren't helping us out!

Great interview with coach Les on the radio post-game interview. He said they drew up a play on the time out with 6.9 seconds left. He figured that LB would press and try and deny the ball to TJ on the inbounds so they thought they might be able to get the ball in his hands on the second touch. He said Joe Mooney did a great job of getting the ball into Rogers Printup who was then able to make that nice pass to TJ streaking down the left sideline. Les laughing said that normally he would have preferred for TJ to take it to the rim but, since the 3 ball runner went through the net, he fine with the way it turned out. He said he told the team that they deserved to win today and he would have been heartbroken if we had lost given how hard the Aggies played.

In the interview with Scott Marh, TJ said he just decided it was time to try and win it rather than take it to the rim and when he let it fly it felt good. Coach Les said he was happy that we didn't go into a 3rd OT because we could have ended up playing with only 4 or even 3 players because of all the fouls we had and, again laughingly, he said, "I don't have any plays for that."

I couldn't be more proud of this team to come out and play their hearts out like that after the disappointment of Chima being suspended. I'm still stunned...fantastic win!!!!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    just re-tweeted. Still can’t believe what we just saw
  • quadshock
    I could only follow the score on my phone but that Twitter highlight... Man I wish this was recorded or something
  • aggie6thman
    You can rewatch it on ESPN3...I think...
  • SoCalAggie
    you can 100% rewatch this game on ESPN 3 (Watch ESPN). You can rewatch every game on espn 3
  • DrMike
    Unreal game. Thought the beach was going to run away with it in second half when they opened fast. But this group grinds. Huge effort
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'll tell you what also: we've got ourselves an outstanding D1 basketball coach. His players play their hearts out game in and out and, when they don't, they find themselves on the bench. We win a lot of games just because we never quit grinding and that's a tribute to our coaches. They've created a competitive culture and the players hold themselves accountable for maximum effort.

I loved seeing Kevin Blue and Coach Les hugging on the court and grinning ear to ear after the game too.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Another surprise: Poly knocks off Hawai'i in SLO 78-64...wow. They outscored the Bows 50-29 in the 2nd half...
  • ucdavisaggie05
    WOW, that’s one helluva 2nd half.
  • Toke69
    BlueGoldAg,

I totally agree with you that that was a very gutsy win by the Aggies. On reflection, the whole team made the effort to keep it close enough for Shorts to win the game on that incredible basket. All 9 guys who played scored and every one of them except Hennings got a rebound. They also only made 6 turnovers after the opening minutes. All of this, too, after Moneke got suspended and you have to believe that their original game plan included Chima, so the coaches had to have made some great adjustments.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Well said, Toke59. This was as good a "whole team win" as we'll ever see. I still feel giddy just thinking about it!
  • movielover
    Should provide some inspiration for other teams... down best player, two more foul out... double OT, 60% of starters gone... and still pull it out.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!