• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies' final game in the Continental Tire Classic will be at 2:30 pm Saturday in Las Vegas versus the Radford Highlanders out of the Big South Conference. Just like the Aggies, the Highlanders lost their first two games of the tournament against San Francisco and Nevada. They lost to San Francisco in a low scoring affair 52-41 and lost by 15 to Nevada 77-62. By comparison the Ags lost to San Francisco 74-61 and to the Wolfpack 88-73. The Highlanders beat North Carolina A & T 66-60 to move into the game against the Aggies.

Radford is another defensive minded team like Lamar and have limited their opponents to 68 points per game and are scoring an average of 66.5 ppg. They are led in scoring by 6'0 R-Fr G Carlik Jones with 11.0 ppg and 6'5 Jr F Ed Polite Jr at 10.5 ppg. Six additional players are chipping in between 4-8 ppg.

The Ags are coming off an impressive win over Lamar playing without Chima Moneke. Coach Les indicated that Chima may play but didn't give any indication about why Chima has been on the bench the last game and a half. TJ Shorts was brilliant and lots of other Aggies made strong contributions to the win over Lamar. Time to get win number 9.

Live radio broadcast only.

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's been 50 years since these two teams have played each other. The Aggies beat the Highlanders 67-63 on December 2, 1967.
  • Goags20172
    It's been more recent than that. They played on 12/29/04 @St. Mary's. Aggies won 67- 63 per the UC Davis bball archives. I remember listening to the game on the radio.

I didn't do much digging to find that. I just remember Radford was one of the off teams the Aggies beat in their 1st yr. Playing a d1 schedule.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Good catch, Goags20172. I got my information from the Aggies release about today's game:

"UC Davis and Radford last met 50 years ago (Dec. 2) in a game the Aggies won by a 67-73 score."

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/122317aac.html

That's not correct as you noted. The Ags did indeed beat Radford 67-63 in the St Mary's Classic in 2004 under Coach Gary Stewart. The Aggies went 12-17 that year.

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/ucda-m-baskbl-sched-2004.html
  • SoCalAggie
    Any update on Chima for today?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Chima will play today.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags come out cold shooting 2-7. AJ John has picked up 2 quick fouls. 6-5 Ags at the first media TO.
  • DrMike
    Ugly first half but only down 3. Played better towards the end. Silar is struggling. Need a solid second half like yesterday
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags are struggling on offense but manage to stay close 32-29 Radford at the half. The Highlanders are shooting 60% so the Aggie D needs to step up in the second half. Mooney canned a couple of 3's which is nice to see. Siler had a rough shooting game against Lamar and it has continued into today as he is only 1-6. Need to get him going. AJ John has had to sit since he picked up 2 fouls in 1 minute of PT.
  • BlueGoldAg
    TJ Shorts got injured and went immediately to the locker room. Hope it not a serious injury.
  • SoCalAggie
    Chima & john are both in foul trouble and TJ is in the locker room with an injury. This will be a challenge...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Add in that Schneider is cold as ice 1-10. He has not shot well for several straight games. Shorts back in the game!
  • DrMike
    Is the tunein on delay? Doesn’t match ESPN. That shows 46-44 just under 9 minutes. I swear first half was in sync
  • DrMike
    Seemed like the half time break on radio was too long. Maybe it got messed up then?
  • DrMike
    Maybe AST is on delay also?
  • SoCalAggie
    The tune in stream is behind my ESPN app as well
  • DrMike
    It was synced in the first half. Oddly I’m still listening and watching espy feed!
  • DrMike
    55 55 with 25 seconds after their three. Our ball
  • BlueGoldAg
    55-55 at the end of regulation. Going to OT
  • DrMike
    OT. Kind of let it go there at the end up 3 with the ball
  • DrMike
    Gone cold in it. Down 7 with about a minute
  • DrMike
    72-62 final. Poor shooting. Big two scorers were 10-30. We did clean things up in second half with only five turnovers. Not much from the bench today. Kind of a disappointing end to preseason ( sorry Holy Names)
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags go down 72-62 in OT. Ed Polite single handily beat the Ags in OT when he took over the game and scored the first 11 points of OT.

We had a great chance to win this one in regulation up 3 with under 30 seconds. TJ's shot gets blocked and Hicks nailed a 3 to tie it and then we turn the ball over on the last possession.

The Aggies never found a good offensive rhythm and, with what has been the case all season, we struggled to shoot well outside of the paint. Siler Schneider was only 4-16 today after going 3-10 yesterday. We will not be a front runner in the Big West unless we find some good outside shooting.

In the post game interview Coach Les faulted defense for not getting the clutch stops when we needed to. He rarely has much to say when our offense struggles and shoots poorly from the perimeter. Really, I guess there's not much you can do about the shots not falling but you can always look at where the defense broke down. From Les' perspective, if you execute on offense, the ball either will or won't go into the bucket. There's not much else you can do when players are shooting poorly but you can always do something about how you defend.
  • DrMike
    I’m just inferring from radio but sounded like we got good looks, just no buckets. Rebounded well, handled the ball well in second half and held them to a low point total in regulation. An average shooting night and we win big. Weird that we didn’t get much from bench after they raised their game yesterday.
  • aggie6thman
    We needed the guys who stepped up yesterday to do the same today...didn't happen. Tough loss with one more game before conference play.
  • aggie6thman
    Hard to fault the defense when you give up 55 points in 40 minutes of basketball. Maybe the 17 points in OT was what made him mad but when two guys have been carrying the team in every game except the last one it is the offense that should be faulted.
  • DrMike
    Radford stepped up at the end. Block followed by a tough 3. That was a back breaker. No rhythm in OT
  • DrMike
    the mighty Holy Namers! I’ll be there
  • movielover
    Yes there is. If you have good interior players, go inside, take high percentage shots, and draw fouls. Get to the line, and put them in foul trouble. Also tends to bring the defense in, kick back out for midrange jumpers. Or drive to the bucket, same thing.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!