• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies will be trying for their 5th straight win Friday at 8 pm when they travel to San Francisco to play the Dons in the War Memorial at the Sobrato Center. This looks to be a tough game for the Ags who are coming off a week of finals after beating William Jessop 86-52 a week ago. The Dons will be playing at home for the 8th time in 9 games so far this season.

USF is coming off a nice win over Eastern Washington 81-71 and have also beaten St Francis 75-63, Sonoma State 78-55, Central Arkansas 78-76 and Sac State 69-56. The Ags beat Sac State 64-47 by comparison. The Dons losses have been to LBSU 83-71, UCSB 79-72, and Arizona State 75-57.

San Francisco is led by 3 players scoring in double figures: 6'3 F G Souley Boum at 15.2 ppg, 6'5 So G Jordan Ratinho at 12.5 ppg, and 6'5 Sr F Chase Foster at 11.1 ppg. They have good height with 5 players on the roster 6'8 and taller including 7'0 and and 6'11 post players. As a team they are averaging 72.6 ppg to their opponent's 69.8 ppg while shooting an overall average of 39.1% from the field and only 30.6% from 3.

Chima Moneke continues to lead the Aggies with 20.7 ppg and 11 rebounds per game. Siler Schneider is chipping in 12.2 ppg and TJ Shorts is adding 12.1 ppg. As a team the Aggies are shooting a good 47% overall and 41% from beyond the arc while averaging 70.3 ppg and holding their opponents to just 62 ppg. Rogers Printup has been seeing some playing time lately with Joe Mooney ailing and has been on fire from 3 hitting 9-18 from long distance.

This game is actually game #1 for the Ags in the Continental Tire Classic which will culminate with two games in Las Vegas after the Ags play their second game of the tourney at Nevada next Tuesday. On Friday the 23rd the Aggies will play Lamar in Vegas and another game TBD on Saturday the 24th.

Live online stream 8 pm Friday from the WCC Network:

http://www.wccsports.com/gamecenter/m-baskbl/gc-121517-sanf.html

Go Ags!
  • eastbayaggie
    If I don't get stuck at work, then I'll go to this game and give updates during time outs.
  • BlueGoldAg
    That would be great. My wife and I and our son will be in SF for 3 days but we will be at the ACT Theater to see a production of "A Christmas Carol" Friday evening so I'll be checking the score at intermission.
  • BlueGoldAg
    In reading the series history between these two teams, I was surprised to see that they have only played each other 7 times over years despite the close proximity of the two schools. The Dons lead the all-time series 6-1 with the only Aggie win coming in the 1939-40 season 45-30. The most recent win by San Francisco was on November 29, 1976, when they obliterated the Ags 120-76...ouch!

The oddsmakers currently are listing the Aggies as 3.5 point underdogs. Time for some payback after that last whooping we took 41 years ago!

Go Ags!
  • eastbayaggie

That's weird. I could have sworn i saw the Ags play against San Francisco during the Stewart era.

Edit: I saw the Ags play at USF. However, it's likely the Ags played against a different team there.
  • eastbayaggie
    I didn't know there was a doubleheader today. Dons up by 13 over the Hornets with three minutes to play.
  • movielover
    Have we played Santa Clara recently?
  • eastbayaggie
    I think i saw the Ags beat Santa Clara at Santa Clara last year.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Men played Santa Clara last year in the Cable Car tournament - season opening tournament hosted by SCU. Ags won...forget the score but it was a pretty entertaining game.
  • movielover
    We used to play them often w / Coach Hamilton.
  • eastbayaggie
    I was trying to figure out if Mooney will play. He was in his warm ups, but he only participated in passing the balls around. I guess that is a "no."
  • eastbayaggie
    The Dons are ridiculously tall. I'm curious how the height difference will play out today.
  • eastbayaggie
    Ags up 6-3 after four minutes of play. Onyebalu with five points. Most of Dons tall players are bench players. Printup is a surprising early sub.
  • eastbayaggie
    10-8 Ags after 8 minutes. Moneke scoreless but he is fouled. Dons with six fouls already.
  • eastbayaggie
    Dons up 23-16 with seven minutes to play. Dons are raining threes and the Ags are racking up fouls.
  • eastbayaggie
    Dons 35-25 with 3 minutes to play. Ferrari from the Dons is a good shooter. Moneke finally made a field goal. He is largely silent.
  • eastbayaggie
    Dons 38-28 at halftime. Referees are giving favorable calls to the Dons. A little frustrating. I don't think the Ags are playing badly, so I think there is still hope in the second half.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    We need to pressure their perimeter shots and make some free throws!
  • eastbayaggie
    46-34 with 16 minutes left. Ags started strong but Dons are making more threes. Perhaps Oldbanduhalum is right that we should guard the perimeter.
  • eastbayaggie
    52-38 Dons with twelve minutes left. Hmmm. Not sure what to say here other than Moneke has an off night and Dons are playing better offensively.
  • eastbayaggie
    57-45 Ags. Arell just made a three pointer but the Dons are still shooting well.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ooof...just checked the stats...not looking good for the Ags...
  • eastbayaggie
    60-48 and Moneke shooting two. Momentum is going Ags way.
  • eastbayaggie
    65-55. 3 1/2 minutes left. I don't think the Ags have enough time unless they pull another Northern Colorado type of win.
  • eastbayaggie
    68-55. Difference in the game is Dons three pointers.
  • eastbayaggie
    Game is practically over. 69-58 with 102 seconds to play. Russell makes an appearance.
  • eastbayaggie
    Moneke is hurt. He fell on his back. At least he is now up but moving gingerly.
  • eastbayaggie
    74-61 final. Dons played better offensively. I just learned those "USA" cheers were really "USF." :) I don't feel bad about this game since the Ags didn't really play any boneheaded moves, but my basketball IQ is really low. I'll let the professional armchair quarterbacks make a better diagnosis.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks for posting up, eba. I’ll post up a few thoughts later. Right now I’m having a couple of drinks with my wife and son enjoying an evening in the city.
  • movielover
    Caught some of the end. Outrebounded by 7?, USF had more assists, 1st guess is better passing. Late in the game our offense didn't seem to have a flow. Are the Dons on Xmas break? (Gym empty.)
  • eastbayaggie

The Dons are tall, so I assumed being outrebounded as a given. I also wrongly assumed they would drive more to the basket with their height advantage. Instead, I was surprised they were content in finding the open man behind the arc. They did that efficiently.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!