• movielover
    Coach Grinch, young. Never heard of him before.

Takeways, speed. Took their Defense to a top-10 unit.

https://www.westcoast-offense.com/new-blog-99/2017/11/17/the-architect-of-speed-d

1. Speed
    2. Stemming
    3. Turnovers

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/what-exactly-is-wsus-speed-d-how-the-cougars-have-risen-to-the-top-of-the-pac-12s-defensive-rankings/

They recruited and play one ILB who is 214#s.
  • 69aggie
    Does this guy have an assistant we can hire? One of the reasons for this scheme is that WSU could not recruit the “normal” PAC 12 defensive player against the competition. Sound familiar? I know coach Hawk loves his DC, but look, our D was horrible this year. He has to go.
  • movielover
    Or we can adapt. Tucker may have been unfamiliar w the Big Sky. But life won't be pretty if we continue to be the #113 defense if FCS.

NCAA

Total Defense: #113
    Punt Ret Def: #120
    TurnO Margin: # 80
    First Dwn Def: #103
    Few Penalties: # 73
  • AggieFinn
    Because UC Davis is notorious for being able to recruit Pac 12 level speed....

However, scheme overhaul would be interesting.
  • Riveraggie
    it's a relative thing. Like stated in the article you have to compromise something because you can't always recruit big and fast. They don't compromise athleticism for size. We can make that choice at our level as well. But when you choose to be small and faster you have to play a style that maximizes the effect of being quicker and masks the cost of being small; hence movement and deception.
    It will be interesting to see if we can improve defensively next year as much as we improved offensively this year. Our defensive coordinator has an impressive resume, but improvement is obviously required.
  • 69aggie
    Plus Speed D maybe a scheme that has real legs at least for college football because so-called Optimum D1 size and speed is achievable by very very few teams. Sustainable “new schemes” are few and far between. Recall (or read for you young guys) Red Hickie’s original “shotgun offense” he designed for the 49ers back in the day- every eligible receiver was spread out. Brodie and the Niners were unstoppable until its flaws were discovered- it was very susceptible to blitzes form the outside. It disappeared in its original form. I would give coach tucker a ticket to Pullman and money to take Grinch out to lunch. This defense might really be the answer for us.
  • movielover
    Interesting points. Don't forget Sochor was attending pro camps, so was Foster. Foster had a dominant D running the Flex, and he didn't sit idle, he added the 45 or 54 defense option from the Chicago Bears?

Currently, I find it hard to believe our defensive talent is #113. Get the TO margin to 50 or 40, clean up special teams, and get the defense at least to #80 or #70 and we can make some noise.
  • 69aggie
    Movie you are right. We already have those guys is place. We just need a leader. Maybe tucker. . . .
  • movielover
    220# special team player / reserve LB helps turn Fresno State defense around.

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/marek-warszawski/article185982828.html
  • 69aggie
    I have family Boise St. fans here in sonoma for the holidays and they are driving all their way to Fresno for this game tomorrow! I cannot believe it- maybe a 3+ drive. And then back? Should I take back everything bad I ever said about Telford? I think maybe I should. What a turnaround. . .
  • movielover
    Chris Peterson and UW routing WSU 34-0. 4 TOs for WSU, stud defender tossed for targeting.
  • movielover
    Fresno State at Boise tomorrow.
  • movielover
    Coach Grinch is being considered as a new assistant coach at Ohio State.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!