• BlueGoldAg
    The unbeaten Ags leave the familiar confines of the Pavilion to take on UOP in Stockton at 7 pm Monday evening. The Aggies have played well in 3 tough games to open the season and hope to carry that stellar play on the road for the next 3 games: Pacific, Southern Utah and Seattle.

The Tigers are 2-0 wining both games at home over Fullerton 81-65 and then burying UC Merced 123-59. Seven players are currently scoring in double figures for the Tigers. They are not a tall team but they make up for that with quickness so, even though the Ags will have the height advantage, the Aggies will need to block out and be aggressive on the boards, Smaller, quick teams can often give taller teams fits.

I expect that the Ags may see a collapsing zone defense by UOP in an attempt to limit Morgan Bertsch and maybe even some full court pressure in an effort to try and create some havoc. The Aggies have adjusted well to 3 totally different strategies by their opponents in their first 3 wins and they are likely to see some new defensive wrinkles thrown at them as teams try to figure out how to slow them down.

Live online feed from the WAC network: http://www.wccsports.com/gamecenter/w-baskbl/gc-112017-paci.html

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags get off to a good start in Stockton and lead 25-16 at the end of the first quarter. 5-9 from 3.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies are playing well and extend the lead to 45-30 at the half. Pele Gianotti led the way for the Ags with 16 on 5 of 7 shooting including 4-5 from 3. Morgan Bertsch has 10 on 5-7 from the floor but had to sit with 2 fouls at the 6 minute mark of the 2nd quarter.
  • DrMike
    They don’t seem distracted by that huge Tiger home ‘crowd’. These girls are
    really good. Looking forward to a couple of the Saturday doubleheader’s
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies keep it rolling and stretch the lead to 26 points 71-45 at the end of the 3rd.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies played their best overall game tonight and beat the Tigers convincingly 90-58. They shot 52% overall on 36-69 from the field and 12-23 from 3 for 52%. Morgan Bertsch had 20, Pele Gianotti had 18 and Rachel Nagel had 17. The Ags teamwork showed up in their 19 assists also.

I thought the Ags played well on defense and they won the boards 46-38. Nina Bessolo and Cierra Hall bring energy and quickness to the floor and good defensive play. Hall rushed her shots tonight, especially the ones in close, and was only 2 for 12 overall. I think she'll improve her shooting as she gets more experience and settles into an offensive rhythm but her athleticism is a great addition to this team at this point.

In the post-game interview the Tigers coach said that the Aggies are a post-season team, it just depends on where they end up going. I know the team wants nothing less than the NCAA Tournament.

The unbeaten Ags now head to Cedar City, Utah, to play Southern Utah at 2 pm MT on Friday.

Go Ags!
  • 69aggie
    Yes, best game of the year against a not so bad tiger team. Cierra and Nina are the future of this team and it showed tonight. The future is good!
  • aggie08
    This team is special. A 32 point road win against a respectable team. Wow! Athletic, good ball movement, well coached with star players. Dangerous combo. Bertsch is dominant inside on offense and was super active getting blocks on defense. Her 6'4" frame combined w moves, footwork, finesse is going to be tough to stop. Opens things up for the others. Gianotti and Nagel were superb and bring their senior leadership to this squad. Going to be an exciting season!
  • Russ Bowlus
    All that and the recap photo has the correct teams in it. Bonus! ;)

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/112017aaa.html
  • BlueGoldAg
    Marly Anderson is a solid backup to Bertsch coming of the bench too. This is such a veteran team with 4 seniors, Gianotti, Nagel, Nafekh, and Anderson, and then Bertsch, Bessolo, Song, and the Eaton twins all bring even more experience. Add in Cierra Hall, a true freshman, who is ready to play at this level, and you've got a very deep team.

The talent and the coaching is there. Now, it's up to the players to work hard so they continue improving and make their dreams happen.
  • PortlandAggie
    Maybe our best all around team in D1 era?

I think they come to Corvallis undefeated on 12/20, and I'll be there. Oregon State is ranked 18th, having just lost to #6 Notre Dame
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I think you're probably correct with the best team in D1 era (or ever). We've had teams with dominant players (Mintun, Fipps) with good supporting casts, but nothing that comes close to the quality depth we have this year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I've been watching the men's and women's basketball teams since the mid-70's and this is definitely the best overall talent we had at any one time in either the D1 or D2 eras. As Oldbanduhalum says it's the quality of the depth that we have that is special.

Very good basketball teams all have stretches during a game where the shots don't fall or they turn the ball over several times in a row or they get out hustled on the boards or the opponent gets a hot hand and can't miss. When that happens to this team, Jen Gross can go to her bench and bring in fresh players that can change the momentum because the talent level on the bench is so good.

Gross has built a program where she is reloading with high quality players and getting better with each year. Her teams are leading the way in our major sports for success at the D1 level.
  • Zander
    You beat me to it. I've seen a fair share of football, basketball, and soccer games and this feels like the first time I'm seeing a major Aggie team put just plain better players on the floor than the opponents. The revenue sports have had individual stars in the last few years and have excelled in specific areas, but I can't recall any team having such a big talent advantage across so many positions.

The cool part is how this is sustainable -- a team built around Bertsch, Hall, Bessolo, and the Eatons could conceivably win the Big West next year. And who knows what kind of talent is waiting in the wings.
  • 69aggie
    And the young kids are very tough as well. Did you see when Emma Gibbs got man handled in the front court and she gave it right back. Yep, she was called for a foul, but the point is she was NOT intimidated! She going to be very good. I guess the new Canadian gal will RS. I hear she is tough as nails. Maybe the next Morgan?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Jen Gross has said that Sage Stobbart, the 6'3 post player from Vancouver, will redshirt this year. She says that Stobbart is very talented, tough and mobile for her size. I believe she was rated in the top 20 prep post players in the country by ESPN recruiting.

We'll lose some great players to graduation next year: Nagel, Nafekh, Anderson and Gianotti. It will be fun to see a "twin tower" lineup with Bertsch and Stobbart on the floor at the same time though.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!