• PortlandAggie
    This discussion was created with comments split from MBB vs Sac State
  • SochorField
    I really would like to see more size and an inside presence. UC Irvine, UCSB and UCR don't seem to have problems signing guys over 6'9" We are talking about a style of play here with Les.

If we are holding ourselves to a higher academic standard when recruiting compared to Cal, UCLA, UCI, UCSB, and UCR AND are expecting to be competitive in the Big West more than once every 5 seasons, we are fooling ourselves. But this is a completely different topic, I know.
  • Davisbear
    Sochorfield...Totally agree, Ags just don't have enough length to compete at the highest levels. Adenrele and Henn are solid players, but against better competition they are giving up too much length inside.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I follow Coach Les' recruiting as closely as I can on various internet sites and he has offered several players 6'10 and taller this year. I believe one player had a 3 or 4 star rating but all of them signed elsewhere.

Our style of play may have had something to do with that but I do not think Les does not value getting more length on the team. He brought in Neil Monson (6'10) and Nolan Berry (6'10), so I expect he will be looking to land some more bigs soon. Unfortunately, Berry was injury plagued and it didn't work out as expected. Until then we have several players that play bigger than their height: Moneke, White and Adenrele all play big because of their leaping ability and overall athleticism.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Add in Storm, who may not have quite the height at 6'8", but certainly the bulk at 240lbs (and maybe still growing).

Interesting new offer on verbal commits...Robby Beasley, who is a high school freshman this year. Maybe it's happened, but I can't remember another freshman that we made an offer to.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I noticed that too, OBUA. I've never seen a high school freshman offer in any Aggie sport. It seems like that's a sign of the times; coaches need to create relationships with the athletes and their families early and often. Montana offered him 3 weeks before we did. He must be one heck of a prospect.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Logan Storm is an interesting recruit who appears to be another "blue collar type" of player with a big body. He could be a bruiser inside. He had 17 D1 offers 14 of which were from midwest and east schools and we know the kids from the midwest grow up with basketball in their genes. He also had 6 D1 football offers including some good programs like Cincinnati and Wyoming so we know he isn't going to be afraid of contact! He'll be a welcome addition.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Gio Nelson 6'5 175 SG from Corona, CA, might be a real sleeper also. When I posted the names of the 3 Aggies BB early signees over on the Big West Basketball Forum a few weeks ago, a couple of SoCal Big West fans seemed to be surprised that we got him and they felt that he had a lot of potential to make an immediate impact for the Aggies.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    That's good to hear. Seems that with Lemar, Graham and White graduating (along with JT and Georgi) there will be minutes available in the back court / wings next year.
  • aggie6thman
    Freshman? Really? Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon but that seems strange to me. Freshman (especially boys) are squirrelly at best during the school day, how could you possibly know what kind of player he is going to be in four years?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Good question...but it's true we have offered him. It looks like he is an elite player who is receiving early interest from Cal, Stanford and St. Mary's too. I've seen him described as the best freshman in NorCal and he has a 3.86 GPA at Dublin High School. He also plays for UAA Splash City team and recently played in an Under Armor event in Brooklyn NY. I've seen him listed as from 6'1 to 6'3 and is probably still growing.

If he continues to get better and receives more and more recognition he'll be tough to get. Les must feel like he better get in on the action early and hope he can build a relationship with this young man and sell him on the value of becoming a Aggie. Might as well try. We could use a blue chip player!

Tweet: 4BALLERS ONLY ‏@4_BallersOnly Nov 18

Congrats to 2020 Splash City/Dublin High School PG Robbie Beasley for picking up and offer from UC Davis.#keepgrinding

Link: http://verbalcommits.com/players/robby-beasley

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDE_e1qOhT8
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!